navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » University Project on Voting and Dementia
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic University Project on Voting and Dementia Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2004-09-23 11:48 AM

Ever wonder about the voting rights of people with cognitive disorders? Do you have some input as to why/why not this target population should be permitted to exercise their constitutional voting rights? This study is asking for input.
http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/ADC/news/voting_proj.htm

University of Pennsylvania
Project on Voting and Dementia

(below is the link to the article that led me to the PA study, questionning whether or not people suffering from mental disorders should be permitted to vote) http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/Healthology/voting_healthday_040923.html

© Copyright 2004 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2004-09-23 11:54 AM

Moderators: If this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to the most appropriate one.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-09-23 11:36 PM

So I do get to vote? Sorry, you know me! Silly me, I had never even considered this issue before. May I continue to rely on you as my social conscience? Pretty please, you are so good at it...

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2004-09-24 01:16 AM

LOL, Larry, I was wondering if they were trying to stop ME from voting. LOL, yanno, I am just a bit off center.
OK, so does this mean you might offer these people some valuable feedback? There are really so many angles to this issue. Who do you 'trust' to make the assessment?
Anyway, hope lots of knowledgeable/caring writers will send much needed input.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
4 posted 2004-09-24 03:50 PM

And I thought they were talking about Bush supporters!
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2004-09-24 07:05 PM

LOL, that's PART of the point for this'un Raph. There is quite a bit of evidence that in some cases, relatives and/or 'caregivers' are actually doing the voting, not just 'assisting' the registered voter. And that means the 'counted' vote could go either way, now, couldn't it? *sigh* I hope YOU also participate in studies like this, m'friend, in a non-partisan way of course.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » University Project on Voting and Dementia

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary