navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » The IRS Sucks
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic The IRS Sucks Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 2002-05-24 11:16 PM

Not only did i just get a letter from them telling me that I owe them $1500.00 from my 2000 taxes, due to a theoretical difference between what i filed (which they gave me my return on) and their numbers (uhm - they didn't verify this BEFORE they sent me my money?), but they also say that if i don't contest, or do contest and don't win, they're charging me interest from April 16, 2001 until the date that the amount i "owe" is paid off.

[insert appropriate string of cursing here]

© Copyright 2002 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
1 posted 2002-05-24 11:18 PM

Actually - this could probably go in the Alley... you can move it if you'd like, Ali.

i am so glad i keep good records...

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2002-05-24 11:56 PM

This sucks! (Oh you said that!)

Why do these people have so much power? You see their return address on a letter in your mail box and it's enough to give you a heart attack!

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

3 posted 2002-05-25 12:24 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm...we have similar problems with the IRD here...(inland revenue department)...I'm supposed to, as a student, get an interest rebate on my student loan as I'm still studying..hah! Yeah right..

people get charged for fines they've never had, hauled to court..all sorts...

why the power? they have the authority don't they...hard to say no to a cop isn't it? (Specially armed one's in the states...) hard to say no to money being direct debited out from your account...

huggles you...I'm sure you'll sort it out..

K

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
4 posted 2002-05-25 12:36 PM

Ha, up here they think so much of themselves, they gave themselves a fancy new name…CCRA…Canda Customs and Revenue Agency…and they’ve got POWER. Heck, they think you’re rich if you earn $60K a year…that’s when the top tax bracket kicks in thank you very much!!! Don’t even get me started…you think you can ramble Chris….i can go on for hours about them!! Lol
Btw, that’s some bummer about them coming back for even MORE money!! Greed, greed, thy name is government taxation!!!

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

NapalmsConstantlyConfused
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-05-15
Posts 529

5 posted 2002-05-25 12:41 PM

"Congress shall have the power to levy and assess taxes."

one of the three biggest holes in the Constitution.

-Dave

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

6 posted 2002-05-25 01:11 AM

Damn, I hope they don't see this.  (But who ever heard of an accountant that wrote poetry...so hopefully, I'm safe.)  Another state claims I owe about 5K in back taxes, thought for sure they'd take my paltry refund from the big dawgs.  Seemed I slipped through the cracks and for once I'm glad.  Let 'em try to collect.  I already spent it.  Paying bills.  Now you tell me, who needs it more?
And C...ya didn't think plan b was gonna just sail by without complication, did ya?
Keep on bud, in an odd sorta way...i'm countin on ya.

but I'm lonely now, and I don't know how
to get it back to good

MB20

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2002-05-25 07:17 AM

Try moving around Christopher.  No, I don't mean evade the law.  I mean...when we lived in CA, my husband had a job with a company in NY, and the payroll checks came from there.  In 1989 at the end of the year, several thousand were laid off, some receiving "golden parachutes" [some being more silver than gold, but that's another thread].  By mid-year, we had relocated in another state, simply because there was no way we could continue to live on my salary alone in CA - and he was of an age where he was either "overeducated, had been overpaid for 'this' job, or too old [which they could not legally say].  Of course we expected to pay state taxes for 1/2 year in one state, the second 1/2 year in the second state, while checks were still coming from yet another state due to the parachute.  

CA tried to come to us the FOLLOWING YEAR [the umbrella stretched over 18 months] for taxes they believed they were due because we "wouldn't have moved out of state had it not been for the loss of job" and they felt that since he was still being paid into 1991, it was theirs to take.

???

Go figure.

Phaedrus
since 2002-01-26
Posts 180

8 posted 2002-05-25 08:28 AM

I’m not sure what you’re saying here Chris, if you really don’t owe them the money then you contest the decision win and have nothing to pay. If you do owe them the money then asking for interest seems reasonable, if you had invested the money you would have gained financial profit that should in effect have belonged to the IRS by dint of an honest mistake, which doesn’t seem reasonable. Which brings me on to the mistake itself, although the IRS can be held partially responsible for any mistake of under or over payment the individual is surely in a better position to spot the fact that they’ve under or over paid and inform the IRS of the mistake.

You said you keep good records, if so you can prove the legitimacy or otherwise of the claim, either way you end up paying only the amount you owe and give the government the ability to supply the services you expect and use.

Thanks for the chance to read and reply

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
9 posted 2002-05-25 04:45 PM

I hope it all works out for you....

Lauren~

I would rather have one breath of his hair,
one kiss of his mouth,
one touch of his hand
than an eternity without it.

[This message has been edited by Greeneyes (05-25-2002 07:26 PM).]

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
10 posted 2002-05-25 06:34 PM

I'm still dealing with the IRS over 1994 and 1995 returns. I went to a tax advocate. She is very helpful. Hoping to have it all settled by July. It's an arduous process but I think it will be worth the effort.

There's the man I chose. There's my territory.....Shakira

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
11 posted 2002-05-25 06:46 PM

Well, judging from the replies thus far, I feel it's ok to leave this thread here. I do feel for ya, Chris, as these snafus can get very costly. My ladyfriend only recently was able to finally discharge past IRS mistakes (her ex had signed her name to a business loan that she didn't know about until way after the divorce). It's a good thing I learned some things helping out my dad (he's a IRS/CPA certified tax practitioner) and was able to legally increase her refund by several thousand dollars. She actually got back a small refund for 2000, roughly $300..but the debt was clear. She doesn't mind filing early now, since she knows I can get her between 3500-4200 back.

I know the IRS, as part of the Treasury Department, is needed to finance and fund government, even though government should be non-profit (no surplus/debt at end of fiscal year). What boggles my mind is how illegal this monumental bureaucracy started out. It was intended to be a temporary measure so the Treas Dept could actually get the millionaire class to pay their tarriff and luxury taxes on things we now take for granted, like automobiles, electricity, telephones, and ice-boxes. Side note: did you know we still have a luxury tax on telephone service? And in 1914 (correct me if I'm wrong), a Bill was presented to Congress. Only two states showed up, the rest abstaining since they didn't agree with it. So, with far less than the 2/3 majority vote from all state reps to make this Bill into Law, somehow it got pushed through, becoming the institution we all know and loathe.

Alicat

“It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most
intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.”  Charles Darwin

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
12 posted 2002-05-26 03:15 AM

thanks all.

and - the reason i think i am most bothered by this is that uncle sam doesn't pay me interest for the money that i earned throughout the year... and i sincerely doubt He would pay interest were the mistake in my favor.

i won't have to pay this (looked at my records today to verify) it's the principle that irritates me. taxation is actually a positive thing... if, as with everything good, it is done in moderation. i'm a single white male who owns no property - i get JACKED on my taxes. 35% is common, though i've paid as much as 40% when i shifted to just over the top of into the next bracket. grrrrrr.

ok, thanks again

Chris

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » The IRS Sucks

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary