navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Question
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Question Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
SmartChick
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-09-23
Posts 7081
On A Journey To The Unknown

0 posted 2002-03-01 09:59 PM

Would somebody please tell me what "Intranet" is? I have heard this before, but don't have any idea what it is.

© Copyright 2002 Sue Graves - All Rights Reserved
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
1 posted 2002-03-01 10:14 PM

it's a "closed" system of connected computers, like within an office atmosphere, for instance

in other words, we are now on the "inTERnet" where computers worldwide can be connected to each other

the inTRAnet is set up so that access by everyone is not possible..... for employees of a large or medium-sized firm, for example, to keep in touch with each other and access shared files

hope that helped

[This message has been edited by doreen peri (03-01-2002 10:15 PM).]

SmartChick
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-09-23
Posts 7081
On A Journey To The Unknown
2 posted 2002-03-01 10:23 PM

Thank you, Doreen!
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2002-03-01 11:32 PM

But, but, Dorie - doesn't that make all of this just a really, really, really BIG Intranet?
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 2002-03-01 11:34 PM

bad ron, bad!
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
5 posted 2002-03-02 12:20 PM

actually no, Ron, because everybody has access

now, these blue pages COULD be considered a very big intranet since some people who caused trouble can no longer come here... hehe.... now that i think of it, it's sorta like one big corporation here and you're the boss and you have the power to hire people for various jobs such as moderators and administrators and all that and you can also fire people when they screw up bigtime and so .... well.... does that mean that coming here is work?? LOL... well for YOU it is because i'm sure it takes a lot of work to keep this place up and running so smoothly.... hmmm.... well now that i think of this, it really IS my work, too, this writing stuff... the job thing just funds it... sooooo

thanks for the intranet, Ron!!

oh, and btw, i've been here now for almost 3 years since you opened the dor, so when you have a chance to sit down with me, i'd like to discuss my promotion

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Question

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary