navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Plagarism
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Plagarism Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2002-01-07 08:09 PM

What do you think of this article?
http://forbes.com/2002/01/07/0107ambrose.html

It's hard enough when someone comes along on the internet and plagarizes your work, but how do you feel about someone of this stature doing it?

© Copyright 2002 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2002-01-07 08:12 PM

It seems like it wouldn't have been so difficult to add a few quotation marks, ya think??..
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
2 posted 2002-01-07 08:30 PM

Yeah, I heard about that over the radio! Geeze, that makes me annoyed!

You know you're Canadian when if something's broken, the first thing you ask is if it can be fixed with WD-40 or Duct Tape

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
3 posted 2002-01-07 08:45 PM

he admitted he made an error by  not using quotation marks and said he would correct it in all future editions.

i find that commendable.

his editors should have caught it.

seems to me, the man made a mistake, it has been addressed, he has apologized and the public should forgive him and let him correct the matter.

he should probably find a new editor and publisher who will do a more thorough job.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2002-01-07 08:58 PM

You don't think he did it on purpose?
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
5 posted 2002-01-07 10:02 PM

no, not from reading the quotes of his

i think articles are written based on what the writer of the article thinks.

if you go through that article and read only the author himself said about the error, only his quotes and none of the analysis, maybe you'll agree with me...

or maybe i'm wrong... very tired tonight.... i'll come back and read it again tomorrow and re-evaluate it...

for now, though, that's how i see it... i mean, hell, even in one of the quotes of his, he used an apostrophe at the wrong place and the article writer wrote "(sic)",,,, perhaps he has a lot of great insight and is a fine writer but isn't as adept as he should be at the necessary precision of punctuation, who knows..?

i think it's dangerous to blame someone of plaigiarism especially when they come right out and say, "you're right, i screwed up, i'll fix it, i'm sorry" (paraphrased)

i'm a firm believer in giving everybody, bar none, the benefit of the doubt.....

but i'll read it again tomorrow and maybe look for more info on this too

do YOU think he did it on purpose? and if so, why?

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
6 posted 2002-01-07 10:03 PM

and again... i think it's the responsibility of the publisher to make sure things like that are corrected, no matter what
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2002-01-08 07:05 AM

I'm with you on this issue, Doreen..
Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
8 posted 2002-01-08 09:48 AM

arghhhh now this is bothering me

I love Stephen Ambrose as a WWII writer

là où est mon amour?
donde está mi amour?
wo ist meine Liebe?
Nelly Furtado é a menina a mais bonita no mundo largo do todo.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
9 posted 2002-01-08 10:30 AM

Two different publishers at 20 year intervals should have read both books line by line? Is that what the publisher or editor does? Where does the writer's responsiblity lie here? I've read several articles about this and I am curious as to how it could have happened. Using phrases verbatim without the benefit of quotation marks, I can understand. But to use phrases or sentences and reword them just a tad, that doesn't sound quite the same to me.
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

10 posted 2002-01-08 10:59 AM

I read this. I am an avid reader. I have to catch myself at times repeating in a piece something I've read somewhere, a phrase, word or even a thought!  It can be done innocently.  Only this man knows, I guess if it was done on purpose. In my opinion, from reading the article, it seems it was and I wonder if he only apologized because he was found out?  I don't know, I'm not judging, Lord knows, there's enough of that in the world!  I'll leave it to the editorial minds to figure it out.  It just makes me, as a writer, be much more careful as to what I write and in what context.

Interesting article.

Kathleen--
Neither genius, fame, nor love show the greatness of the soul.
Only kindness can do that. ~Jean Baptiste Henri Lacordaire~

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
11 posted 2002-01-31 12:04 PM

maybe he is naive...
maybe he is a thief...

Either way, the act is wrong. He has apologized, and I am not the one to judge his sincerity. IMHO.... I guess...

I am confused about the whole copying other's stuff business...

would he have apologized if no one had found out? now that is speculation...

whatever... i guess I am too tired to think, and I have been away for long...

regards to all,
sudhir

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
12 posted 2002-01-31 12:27 PM

i meant to come back to this and forgot... jeesh.... i'm glad it came back up to the top to remind me

not too long after you originally posted this, sharon, i was listening to public radio and they were discussing this topic. They had a female voice reading a paragraph or 2 from one of the texts and a male voice reading from Ambrose's text.... at the exact same time.... and simultaneously, too... hehe

it was a dramatically vivid presentation...

after hearing it, i must say, i must retract my previous comments

seemed to me quite clear it was plaigiarism

also, on the same show, they interviewed an author who has written a book about plaigiarism (supposedly an expert on such matters)... i wrote down his name and the title of his book but unfortunately misplaced it...phooey... His opinion leaned toward plaigiarism in this case, but he also offered some interesting comments about how writers do research when writing history books or novels about history, etc. He said that those writers need to be exceptionally organized because they usually take a LOT of notes from many different sources. Without being extremely organized, he said, it becomes easier to make a "mistake" like this.

Does anybody know the current status of this matter?

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
13 posted 2002-01-31 01:28 PM

Since the original article, several other authors have come forward to state that their work was used without their knowledge in Mr. Ambrose's books. One came to light within the last couple of days..from 1970! Either he's not very good with his notes or his editors have been very lax for 30 years!!

He seems very blase about it! He never made corrections in the reprints of the books first published in 1970.

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
14 posted 2002-02-01 09:02 AM

thanks for that update, sharon

this is incredibly sad

it's good this has come to the public eye

i wonder how widespread this type of thing is.... i mean, Ambrose has been around and widely respected for many years.... seems strange that it took so long for this to come to light

i know i won't buy his books and i think that would be a good response in general.... money talks...

he's blase about all this? that's disheartening.... do the authors who were plaigiarized have any recourse, i wonder?

hmmm

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Plagarism

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary