navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Do you Believe in Horoscopes?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Do you Believe in Horoscopes? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2001-12-22 08:49 PM

First some background: I have been TRYING to make a life altering decision. I want to move. Change jobs, change states, change my life. I set myself a goal of April or May...NOW read my horoscope for the upcoming year:

What to look forward to:

Chage will keep you hopping all year as Uranus and Neptune continue their transit of your sign. And with Saturn in splendid aspect, you can be sure that you'll make the best decisions regarding the new life choices offered to you. Jupiter in Cancer until August 1 will nudge you toward getting into shape, and Chiron in Capricorn will make it easy to tap into what you're really feeling about matters big and small.

Love & Family

Single Aquarians will find new love from January 19 to February 12 while Venus transits your sign, but you'll be doubly lucky in love after August 1, when jupiter enters your marriage zone for the coming year. Family matters may seem unsettled due to the presence of Neptune and Uranus in your sign, but you'll enjoy your loved ones' company more than ever before.

Luck & Money

Financially, this will be a banner year, as Saturn in fine aspect will help you to advance your career. But you'll be expecially lucky after August 1, when Jupiter enters Leo. Those seeking employment will find a permanent position, while freelancers will find part-time, permanent work with the felxible hours they need to address family concerns.

Ok..am I reading something into this or is this MEANT for me???

© Copyright 2001 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
1 posted 2001-12-22 10:37 PM

Sharon-- at the risk of being flogged by the believers--- how can anyone truly truly think that everyone born during that time will have a banner year financially-- nothing specific can ever be taken seriously with those things...stick with your magic 8 ball hon-- those things really work---lol

hugs kind lady-- and Merry Merry Christmas to ya.

love--jamie

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

2 posted 2001-12-23 12:15 PM

Good question.  I sit on both sides of this fence.
I'm a Libra and in general, the profile of a Libra is so true to who I am.
However, on a day to day basis...I tend to think horoscopes are not as accurate.  Jamie made a good point.  Here's another.  There are many horoscopes written every day.  You can find them in newspapers, magazines, all over the internet and then, of course, there is Miss Cleo, who calls me on a regular basis.  lol  The point being...if you live in Seattle, does that mean the horoscope appearing in the newspaper there applies to you or to all people under that sign?  Or does the horoscope you picked up on the internet apply to you?  Which one is it?
I've never made a habit of reading them, though there was a period last year when looking for answers (or perhaps justification for my actions...lol), I began checking out one offered by my homepage.  All in all, it was very accurate.  But was that because it was psychicly inspired or because I wanted to see the accuracy in it?
I guess my bottom line opinion is...true or not, if it motivates or inspires you...go for it.
Now, you've got me thinking, maybe I'll go check mine out.  Haven't done that in a long time.
Good luck to you in making the changes you mentioned.  

rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA
3 posted 2001-12-23 10:01 AM

I don't know if I believe in them or not.  I have to admit.. the do sometimes hit eerily close to my life situations..

I'm a Cancer through and through and through. And usually the horoscopes are pretty dead on.  But then the skeptic in me, not much but she is in there, jumps up and doubts the whole thing.

I do look at my horoscope though.. and take with a grain of salt... kind of like the weather forecast.. just cause it says snow doesn't mean its coming (I've been waiting and waiting..)

Tara

"My heart is like an open book, for the whole world to read"
     - Motley Crue, Home Sweet Home

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2001-12-23 10:24 AM

Thank you all..I think I'm just grasping at straws here..anything to help make up my mind. I wish there was someone I could hire to just tell me what to do (oh! I could get a husband for that, but that's too much trouble and then I'd have to decide which man to choose...sigh)
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
5 posted 2001-12-23 12:20 PM

ok, now everyone can call me a fruitcake LOL no pun on the season intended...

I think you should sit somewhere quiet...feet flat on the floor, back straight, palms on lap, open facing up....
make you mind quiet...sit there till it happens....ask the questions you want answers to....

is this a good move? will I be happy? yes or no questions....take the answer you get.

make sure you re totally relaxed and still, and mind is quiet first. Deep breathing will help. (think, long slow deep breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth, at least 10 times, focusing on each part of your body, relaxing them as you go, breath in relaxation, breathe out stress and worry)

it works... and hey, it can't hurt!
I hope that helps some

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
6 posted 2001-12-23 12:57 PM

Sharon, I really hope you make a good decision about where you're going to move. Since we're both Aquarians, I reckon I'll have to move there, too.

In fact, please pick somewhere with lots of empty space. 'Cause I just realized about 1/12th the world's population will be coming with us!

Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
7 posted 2001-12-23 04:25 PM

Haven't any of you ever heard of the P.T. Barnum Affect?

If you're told something is going to be true, and it's vague enough, it's very likely that you'll agree with it.  This has been proven, by the way.

However, in the defense of horoscopes, we all do live on a circadian rhythm, don't we?  Which means that horoscopes could be somewhat accurate when you factor in that people born around the same time will have similar values on their circadian rhythms... (you know, the bio dex stuff in the papers?  apparently that stuff's legit...)

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
8 posted 2001-12-23 04:30 PM

Well, I'm willing to find a place for you and me, Ron ..and maybe Christopher (he's another Aquarian)....but everyone else is going to have to fend for themselves. How does one decide which 'place' is better than another?

I guess it's a little like asking if the answers on an 'eight ball' are accurate!

inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
9 posted 2001-12-23 06:06 PM

Poet deVine I've been reading this and I think I know what will happen. You will make the move and find the perfect job. Heck any place you pick must be right, cause you're going to be there. Plus no matter where you go we all will be with you on the blue pages.
Good Luck

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
10 posted 2001-12-23 06:16 PM

Okay, seriously. No, I mean it this time.

Moving to another state is only a big deal if you make it a commitment. Instead of "moving" to another state, go visit it for a year or two. Rent, don't buy. Keep it cheap so you don't have to worry so much about the perfect job. At the end of a year, assess how you feel. There's always 49 other states to visit for a year or two.

But all roads lead to where we go
And where we go is where we've been,
So home is just a word we know,
That space in time most apropos
For where we want to be again.

For even home, it seems to me,
Is still a choice we all must face
From day to day and endlessly,
To choose if home is going to be
Another road - or just a place.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
11 posted 2001-12-23 07:20 PM

Wait a minute.... 1/12th of the world's population? Just because there are 12 signs in the zodiac doesn't mean that we are all evenly divided between those 12. So logically, I could have any number from 1/12th UP joining me on this quest....and all I want is a quiet place to hang my hat (if I owned one) and to plug in my computer. Sigh.

My sister lives in Plainwell, Michigan and said she has a spare room anytime I want to move in with her. (oh no!)

I better fire up the old Passionate RV (remember the trip to Spearfish?)!!

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
12 posted 2002-01-18 09:52 PM

Hi Sharon, just stopping in late to the conversation. I do and don't believe in astrology. If it is more specifically designed to you, by an astrologer, including birth time, place, etc., I think it can be somewhat true to life.
I am more inclined to think a good psychic(not Miss CLeo..), or more accurately I guess, a clairvoyant.can be quite helpful.
I really want to move this year too, but it is never a low cost endeavor, at least not as I see it. I have the thought that I need to move about every 5 or 6 years to be happy, it just seems that is about all I can stand in the same place. Even when it was somewhere I liked. Its that old wandering gypsy blood hiding somewhere inside I guess. If you can find the perfect place, please please let me know. I promise I won't tell a million people (I have a feeling it is in Southern California, but I am keeping my options open)
Sandra

Mon Cherie
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-31
Posts 922
Land of Never-ending Summers
13 posted 2002-01-23 11:21 AM

Poet deVine... YES I DO!!! =)
In fact, i've been on the hunt for some accurate site where I can frequent. So, care to tell me where you got that info from??

_,,,^.^,,,_
Florence

Alexia
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-07
Posts 164
Sweet And Sassy
14 posted 2002-01-24 11:39 AM

I believe in them sometimes but not all tha time because sometimes it doesn't tell you exactly what is meant for you, but sometimes it is so true!

if that made any sense at all?

Peace
Lexi

¤1 tequlia, 2 tequlia, 3 tequlia,
FLOOR!¤

Irie
since 1999-12-01
Posts 1493
Washington State
15 posted 2002-01-25 03:13 PM

Sharon,

I have two things I’d like to share with you.

One: I have read from time to time, astrology readings about my sign, the Sagittarius.
Basically what kind of person I am, according to my sign. And I have found most of those to be amazingly true. Then I wonder, how many Sag’s are out there that fit the description? Are all of us Sag’s the same?

Two: As far as the Daily, monthly and yearly readings I wouldn’t go bet my life on them.
They, for the most part are written so vaguely that it could apply to almost anyone or no one at all. OR, it’s so vague that it could be interpreted in more than one way.

I read from time to time just for fun. Some days are dead on where other days are not.

The bottom line for me is, “would I bet the bank on what I’m being told?” The answer is no. I trust my own instincts………

I say, do what you want to do. You’ll never know unless you try. If you fall down in the process, get up, dust off and try again. Live life to it’s fullest, as you never know when that opportunity will be taken away.

Well, JMO. Good luck on what ever it is you do Sharon!

~Sheri

"The things that come to those that wait may be the things
left by those who got there first"

[This message has been edited by Irie (01-25-2002 03:15 PM).]

wayoutwalt
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 4870
TEXAS (it's all big)
16 posted 2002-01-25 07:07 PM

NOT!
Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
17 posted 2002-01-31 11:58 AM

No, should I?

regards,
sudhir

Alyssa
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-05-30
Posts 385
IM ENGAGED!!!!!
18 posted 2002-01-31 12:03 PM

um lets see
sometimes you can judge on them
like just conceder them b/c sometimes its a little advice
i look at horoscopes as advice
i dunno
im a gemini and half the time my horoscope predicts stuff that is alot likely for me to do or what so i dunno!!!!!

Tis better to have loved and lost, then to have never loved at all...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Do you Believe in Horoscopes?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary