navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » To, Poet deVine.
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic To, Poet deVine. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ven
since 2001-10-01
Posts 102
U.K.

0 posted 2001-11-11 11:52 AM

Dear Poet deVine,

I have just read the topic posted by "Bad little dog" who, out of respect for this special day has posted what is possibly the most famous war poem ever written:

In Flanders Fields
Written by John MaCrae,

He has plainly credited it to the author, and I for one enjoyed the read.

You closed my post, entitled "something to think about" because it was not a poem,. You have now closed this because it is not original.
I really think you should try to be a little more flexible just for this one day and let people express thier respect in the way that suits them best.
We are all poets here, by nature we are emotional creatures. Please allow us the freedom to write what we feel. Its just for one day.

Please beg you to please think carefully before deleting this post and show to your respect by allowing us to show ours.

Many thanks.

Ven.

© Copyright 2001 Lorraine Voss - All Rights Reserved
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
1 posted 2001-11-11 12:16 PM

Ven, Poet deVine was right to close those treads.

You should have put yours in the feelings- or piptalkforum, as this one should be.

As for posting poems written by somebody else well, there are clear rules about that, wich we should pay respect to.

Titia

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Feel free to use the pictures on my website. http://communities.msn.com/Titiasplace/

Ven
since 2001-10-01
Posts 102
U.K.
2 posted 2001-11-11 12:36 PM

I agree wholeheartedly that there have to be rules and they have to be adhered to otherwise chaos reigns.
However surely you must agree that there are certain times when rules can and indeed should be bent just a little.
Most creativity comes from pushing the limits, moving the boundaries, and breaking the rules a little.
Lighten up. Lifes to short to play by the book.
Go on break a rule , I dare you.  lol  

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2001-11-11 12:45 PM

Ven, there have been times when rules have been bent.  

But this is not a poem.  And, it is going to Piptalk Lounge.

Thanks.  Sunshine

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2001-11-11 12:47 PM

My respect for those who fought and died for our country and my respect for the members here is not in question.

If you have a problem with me, please reply to my email or contact the owner of the site at:

rcarnell@voyager.net

Thank you.

Shou-Lao
since 2001-10-12
Posts 48

5 posted 2001-11-11 12:49 PM

“I agree wholeheartedly that there have to be rules and they have to be adhered to otherwise chaos reigns.”

“However surely you must agree that there are certain times when rules can and indeed should be bent just a little.”

It seems it’s either one or the other, you can’t have it both ways, and statement number one gets my vote.  
Shou-Lao

Ven
since 2001-10-01
Posts 102
U.K.
6 posted 2001-11-11 01:02 PM

"Certain times"
when rules can and indeed should be bent.
I'm not saying break every rule just to be bloody minded and awkward.
I'm not an advocate of anarchy, dont get me wrong. I just believe that if all rules where adhered to at all times, nothing would new would ever be created or invented and we would become stagnant robotic type followers, of the rule setters. Incapable of independent thought and afraid to challenge authority
Little rebellions are healthy

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
7 posted 2001-11-11 01:06 PM

Who decides when it's ok to break the rules and which rules are ok to be broken?

I do apologize if this frustrates you. One good thing came out of it, in my opinion. You found our discussion forums which can be just an interesting as Open Forum. You also may want to check out our Poetry Workshop and Tech Forums.

Have a great day!  

Shou-Lao
since 2001-10-12
Posts 48

8 posted 2001-11-11 01:14 PM

Little rebellions are a pain in the rear for the people who have to keep this place in order.

If you want change then why not resort to democracy? There’s a place for suggestions at passions, put there so that Ron can get feedback from everybody and instigate changes that make sense and are feasible, it’s based on the evolution rather than revolution theory.  

Shou-Lao

Ven
since 2001-10-01
Posts 102
U.K.
9 posted 2001-11-11 02:03 PM

O.K. nice one.
A last someone suggests an intellegent alernative.
Democracy sounds good to me  

Not convinced but always prepared to explore all avenue's.
Ven  

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
10 posted 2001-11-11 02:03 PM

Some of the rules are relaxed frequently, some very rarely. There have, for example, been quite a few occasions when discussions were allowed in Open because the topic was both important and of general interest. Yours was neither. In most cases, the Member also had the courtesy to ask first.

On the other hand, I can't think of too many instances where we would relax the rules about copyright infringement. Veteran's Day isn't a good time to steal your neighbor's car (even if you tell everyone it's your neighbor's car), and it's not a good time to use someone else's words without their permission either. I'm sure the post was innocent and no harm was intended; its removal simply serves as a reminder that we take copyright seriously.

We don't have a lot of rules, and we have even fewer that are cast in concrete. Yes, there are times when rules should be bent. These posts weren't one of those times.

Ven
since 2001-10-01
Posts 102
U.K.
11 posted 2001-11-11 02:08 PM

Dear Poet deVine,

Absolutley no problem with you and no offence intended, my intention was purely one of constructive arguement.
To disagree without being disagreeable.

Best wishes to you,
Ven.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » To, Poet deVine.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary