navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Remember the Gulf War?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Remember the Gulf War? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota

0 posted 2001-09-15 12:19 PM

I do. I was only 8 when it happened, but I remember that the U.S. and other countries had troops over in the Middle East-Operation Desert Shield-and then it became Desert Storm sometime at the end of January 1991 (if memory serves me correctly). I had been told that the reason for the war was that Iraq had invaded Kuwait, and the United States was an ally of Saudi Arabia and Saudi Arabia was helping Kuwait. (Now that I'm over, I realize that there were more reasons for us to send troops over--oil, for instance. But I didn't know that then.) I also remember my class at school wrote letters to the soldiers over in the Middle East. One of them replied to me, and I think I still have the letter I received somewhere. (I hope so!) Anyway, I'm interested in any of your memories of this time that you would like to share.

God bless America, my home sweet home.

© Copyright 2001 Elizabeth A. Larson - All Rights Reserved
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
1 posted 2001-09-15 11:08 AM

Yes...I held my breath for 5 months not knowing whether my husband at that time was alive or dead. He also came home afflicted with further suffering. A disease caught while helping to carry the bodies off the streets of Kuwait. He is now disabled but says he would not change a thing about what he helped to do. War is still hell on the home front too. But life is to be cherished even if we must give it in protection of others. Thank you for sharing.

Sincerely,
Regina

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Remember the Gulf War?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary