navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » burn hollywood
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic burn hollywood Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
citizenx
since 2001-07-31
Posts 189
motorcade

0 posted 2001-08-24 03:24 PM

I read an article from a movie critic damning hollywood for its selection this summer and I have to agree.
I saw one good film this summer, Shrek.
Ok I have not seen Planet of the apes yet but the reviews have not been good. I am a fan of Tim Burton's films which is the main reason why I want to see it. God when I heard they released Crocidle Dundee 3 I also wanted to boycott hollywood films,

Where are the modern classics like the usual suspects? the smart hip movies with depth as well as action.

The smartest thing i have seen in a while in terms of a film that tries to take itself seriously is Final fantasy and even the actors (who were animated
were stiff). It looks like I am going to have to go to the art house theatre if I want to see a good film these days.

Anyone else agree that this summer sucked in terms of films. NO I did not see Pearl Habour, I avoided it on principal, that being that I would rather avoid seeing an over indulgent film with no substance that is completely romanticised. Titantic it was not.

© Copyright 2001 citizenx - All Rights Reserved
Rex Allen McCoy
Member Elite
since 2000-01-30
Posts 2863
Sippin a Timmy's in London
1 posted 2001-08-24 09:38 PM

Yah, and not even one new 'Star Trek' movie.
I've had it!
Beam me up Seven!
Seven ...
Dag Nab It!
my comm badge isn't working

your right, there wasn't a lot happening in theaters this year

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2001-08-24 09:43 PM

"The Songcatcher"....a movie that I wanted to see that hit the art theater for about 2 weeks and was gone!

"Finding Forrester"...a spring movie but WELL worth a second look..

"The Others"...I am not a Nicole Kidman fan, but the movie had moments of intrigue and spookiness..

"Planet of the Apes"..I liked it (not as much as the original)..and found the almost life-like ape makeup to be eerie..but I found some of the ape characters were stereotyped.

"America's Sweethearts"...sigh..a waste of John Cusack's talent..

I've been disappointed in the 'blockbuster' movies..I remember standing in line to see Star Trek or Star Wars movies...but I guess we won't see that again since each 30 plex has one movie on 3 or 4 screens...sigh

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

3 posted 2001-08-24 10:27 PM

head for the art-houses folks...

K

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
4 posted 2001-08-25 07:34 AM

The quality of movies has gone down hill quite severly. Although it's our Winter at the moment, I can't remember there actually being any semi-decent movies released this year at all.
Shrek was alright but it was killed by Eddie Murphey's whining and screaming all the time. It has potential if they do one little thing - shoot Eddie.

Go and check out some art house movies. They at least can keep you glued to your seat instead of wanting to rip out your hair.  

I'm a little teapot, short and stout! Here is my handle, here is my spout. *toot toot*

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
5 posted 2001-08-25 09:18 AM

Kamla, I would love to hit the art theatre but we don't have one near by sigh...

I would like to see the film "tears of a black tiger"

Well At least they show the "three colours" triology which i have taped and yet to watch Viva le european cinema.

Americans have lost the plot when it comes to making movies these days.

"Here I am in prison,here I am with a ball and chain There is whiskey in the jar-o" Traditional irish song.

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
6 posted 2001-08-25 02:56 PM

...and if you can find them, try and see Burnt By The Sun and Jalsaghar.

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

citizenx
since 2001-07-31
Posts 189
motorcade
7 posted 2001-08-25 06:18 PM

WIll try Jamie, also I recommend city of the lost children and delicatessen. Both very stylised and funny french black comedies.  

"the blizzard of the world has crossed the threshold and it has overturned
the order of the soul" leonard cohen

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
8 posted 2001-08-26 10:39 AM

now it wasn't a 'summer' movie but 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou' was superb -- Cohen Bros. Always are..

Planet of the Apes (yawn)

Pearl Harbor -- plot thin but fx packed -- worth it just to see the battle on film -- like being there -- watch it -- then see Tora Tora Tora

The Others -- Had it figured out in 15 minutes (but I could watch Nicole in a bad movie)

I'm not even going to go into all the kiddie movies I've seen... but they were no Lion Kings

citizenx
since 2001-07-31
Posts 189
motorcade
9 posted 2001-08-26 12:48 PM

I love the Coen brothers, I think I have seen most of their films by now.
Saw Barton Fink recently, very dark.. good but not my favourite, I think my favourites are Raising Arizona, Big Lebowski and Miller's crossing. They have a new film coming out soon, thank god.

And Terry Gilliam has been quite recently as well.

"the blizzard of the world has crossed the threshold and it has overturned
the order of the soul" leonard cohen

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » burn hollywood

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary