navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I have to apologise.........
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic I have to apologise......... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2001-07-08 06:21 PM

I have to apologise on behalf of my country Ireland for the crimes my country and namely one Louis Walsh has inflicted upon the music business. I do not know how far his terrible disease has spread but I swear that he and his underlings do not fairly represent my country's music front.

Boyzone, Westlife, the Coors, the cranberries (they were ok once upon a time) have ruined the reputation of my country in terms of music.

Even U2 have let us down, god anything I have heard from their new album is terrible and their song on the Tomb Raider songtrack, Bono may have been a talented lyric writer once (Sunday Bloody SUnday, New year's day, one had poetic charm).

Here is a list of bands from Ireland that never made it global but should be representing our country.

Whipping Boy (from Dublin) their album Heartworm is an album of searing dark love songs, played with energy and honesty. Classic songs: We don't need no body else, Twinkle, Tripped.

Kerbdog (on The turn) Nirvana meets husker Du. heavy rock with pop melodies. Classic Tracks: Sally Mexican Wave, JJ's Song.

Thin Lizzy. You may know the song "boys are back in town" or the song "whiskey in the jar" a traditional irish song that they made rock and Metallica murdered. Classic tracks: the songs mentioned, sarah, old town, dancing in the moonlight.

Plague monkeys, strange ambient, dreamy, haunting music, using traditional instruments. Chances are you haven't heard of them they are pretty underground here. Their album surface tension is amazing. Very relaxing and dreamy.

Clannad, traditional music with haunting vocals, can't say I really like them but Harry's game is an amazing song.

This is just something I had to get off my chest.
Resist the evils of Irish pop search out these groups instead.

I would also like to apologise for the irish traditional groups "the Dubliners, the Chieftans" and also "the wolfe tones" (who still think it is 1916).  

© Copyright 2001 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

1 posted 2001-07-08 09:28 PM

ROTFLMAO

~absolute hysterics~

er

I mean...I take your apology very seriously Brian...(heh, but you can't claim to have Split Enz - that's all ours baby).

K

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
2 posted 2001-07-08 10:38 PM

Hi Brian ...

I have to admit I've never heard of Westlife or Boyzone ( <--good Lord who thought up that name??), but I am very fond of the Corrs (not sure if you misspelled their name on purpose LOL) and most of the Cranberries' stuff.  You must understand, at least in the case of the last two, that bands with female singers that can actually sing are a rare, rare thing in the 'States.  Take for example Britney Spears, whose outrageous popularity in this country is, in my opinion, a symptom of the downfall of all sense of taste and decency when it comes to the music front.  If you've got a pretty face and a decent body, you are an instant hit regardless of any other relevant talents -- such as whether your voice is any more pleasant to the ear than, say, a lawnmower being dragged over a pile of aluminum cans ...

Ahem.  At any rate, while I understand that you are looking for something deeper than "What Can I Do (To Make You Love Me)?" in the way of lyrics, I must say that if I must be subjected to such fluff (and I will, given the sorts of thing that get all the airplay here), I much prefer when it is harmoniously rendered.  

Linda

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 posted 2001-07-09 01:56 AM

Cranberries rock!
Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
4 posted 2001-07-09 09:50 AM

Skyfyre --- Boyzone is the group that sang that "Nottinghill" song.

I actually thought they're really good.  Much better than all these other boy bands, specially in terms of singing capabilities.

hi Sweets, Lizzy, Kris, Ina, Erin, Erica, Minna, Kit, Kamie, Javi, Jenn, Sharon, Nan, Cawlee, Cherish, Ashley, Sara, Justine, Leah, Jess, Kimmie, Mare

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
5 posted 2001-07-09 09:08 PM

Hey Bri, I love The Corrs!  

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
6 posted 2001-07-09 09:10 PM

But, Thin Lizzy ROCKS!  

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
7 posted 2001-07-10 11:32 AM

i think the Corrs are not as good as before but i still buy all their albums...

brian, i think the corrs are good enough...

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
8 posted 2001-07-10 11:38 AM

The Corrs debut album back in 1995 (I think) is the best!

Irie
since 1999-12-01
Posts 1493
Washington State
9 posted 2001-07-11 01:58 AM

Hey Brian....is that a RadioHead shirt that you're wearing?

~Sheri

"The things that come to those that wait may be the things
left by those who got there first"

[This message has been edited by Irie (edited 07-11-2001).]

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
10 posted 2001-07-11 04:39 AM

Yes it is, and they rock!
Lady In White
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-12
Posts 2799
USA
11 posted 2001-07-11 11:30 AM

I'm feeling so old....

I think I need to visit a music store for some new input....

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
12 posted 2001-07-11 02:28 PM

Kamla, I am shocked this is a serious matter!!!!!  I have no idea who Split Enz are but some how I feel glad of my ignorance.

Linda, Thank good you have never heard of Boyzone and westlife. Pray you never do. If you want great female vocals check out PJ (Polly Jean) Harvey. Amazing voice and song writer. I misspelled the Corrs by accident. I used to find them (the sisters) attractive once but I then I finished with puberty. They do nothing for me, and god their music, pass a sick bag. They murdered a Thin Lizzy song on their unplugged album. I know this because they dared to release it as a single.
" If you've got a pretty face and a decent body, you are an instant hit regardless of any other relevant talents" I agree with that, it is a crime that this is the case now.
I just like music with backbone, substance not slop that is written with the intent of becoming a hit.

Javier anything I have heard from their last two albums has been bad. They were ok when they did rock.

Acire, I believe that was just the lead guy Ronan Keating solo and not the band. The song was "if you say nothing at all" I hate his voice, funny thing is the other two Stephen and Mickey can sing. And Keith is a good tv presenter. Shane should be shot, he made such as ass out of himself at the last MTV Eurpoean music awards

Melissa, the Corrs terrible. I never said anything bad about Thin LIzzy. How could I disrespect Ireland's first rock band,
I am not a huge fan but I love their classics,
Sarah, Dancing in the moonlight, OLd town and Whiskey in the jar.

Fate. The corrs are terrible, radio slop... yuck. I liked their first single Run away but god they are terrible now.

no Melissa I still think the Corrs are bad.

Irie, it is a radiohead t-shirt. well spotted. I bought it at a gig they played last year in Ireland. It was an amazing concert.

Javier, radiohead rock but they ain't Irish. England have better popular bands than we do except for Oasis who were never good.
Though the Manics are welsh, and the only good Welsh band.

Lady In White, it is ok. I get that feeling  
every time I turn on the radiohead and hear songs bad pop songs aimed at ten year olds.  

"Here I am in prison,here I am with a ball and chain There is whiskey in the jar-o" Traditional irish song.

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
13 posted 2001-07-11 08:20 PM

The Corrs debut album contains "Run Away"  
Brian - you won't be dissapointed with their debut album!!!!!

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
14 posted 2001-07-12 02:35 PM

Melissa, I know but I don't think they are my kind of music. I liked Runaway, only liked it I was not blown away by it. Give me PJ Harvey any day. Now there is a woman with talent and sexy too.  

"Here I am in prison,here I am with a ball and chain There is whiskey in the jar-o" Traditional irish song.

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
15 posted 2001-07-12 08:08 PM

I really like Sinéad Lohan (most of you have probably heard the song "no mermaid" which was included in the message in a bottle soundtrack)...

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

16 posted 2001-07-12 09:07 PM

BRIAN!

Split Enz were the BEST New Zealand Rock group EVER.

Get some of their music - I see Red. Six months in a leaky boat. Poor Boy.

GET those songs Sir and report back to me!

(And yes - they did go international...)

K

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
17 posted 2001-07-13 01:39 PM

K, i will do that if you do this for me. Download the following Whipping Boy songs.
We don't need nobody else
Twinkle.
These songs can only be found on download, because the album is not being distributed anymore. It is a long story, basically they were an extremely talented band who made it big in Ireland got dropped by their record company made another album released in on an independent label and then spilt up.
THey should have been huge, sound wise I guess they are Sonic youth meets Velvet underground and then whipped into a rising storm. It is energy without being heavy rock.

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
18 posted 2001-07-13 07:43 PM

Yeppers, I too, like Sinead Lohan and I love Sinead O'Connor's music  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

19 posted 2001-07-13 09:12 PM

GEEZ...i feel old...

(NOT REALLY...)

NO APOLOGIES BRIAN. I love and respect your opinion, but music is such a unique expression of soul, that I beg to differ if an opinion makes one "better" than the other.
If anything? I despise musical snobbery...who is to say what/who best expresses the inexpressible of feeling?
I love them all. There is, hopefully, something for everyone. Even if, somebody is barfingly relating to "muskrat love"--written by "america" and remade ad nauseum by "captain and tenille"...I applaud joy, even as I choose to turn the dial... HUGS bri!

[This message has been edited by serenity (edited 07-13-2001).]

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
20 posted 2001-07-13 10:48 PM

tenille was ok--but the captain????--heh

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
21 posted 2001-07-14 11:09 AM

Seren, I have no idea who you are talking about. Heh I love music with soul. The music I listen to has to have soul, even sweeping love songs can have soul. But I suppose there is music for everyone.

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
22 posted 2001-07-16 04:23 PM

ROTFLMAO.... I share your sentiments Brian... although there are very few good english bands... and even fewer that actually make it big...
Fading Away
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-14
Posts 3131
Lynchburg, Virginia
23 posted 2001-07-18 12:09 PM

OMGOSH!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!!! THat is so funny... hahahaha... Okay.. breathe.. lol!  That is so hilarious.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I have to apologise.........

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary