navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I need new music ...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic I need new music ... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap

0 posted 2001-07-04 12:49 PM

Suggestions are welcome!

I like to think that I have pretty broad taste, though my CD collection doesn't really reflect it ... might have something to do with the fact that I haven't bought a CD in over a year ...  

So let's see ... I'm not too hot on country except for the odd ballad, and "teeny" pop makes me physically ill (Britney Spears must die!) ... and rap or "hip hop" are completely out of the question.  Hardcore rock is OK as long as it doesn't sound like a) small animals are being tortured to death to create the instrumental portion and b) someone shoving a baseball bat or other hard object into a garbage disposal to create the vocals.  Other than that, I'm open.

Just to give an idea, I like everything from Enya to Everclear, the Clash to Clannad -- so come on, give me some fresh meat!!

Linda

... what if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about ...?

[This message has been edited by Skyfyre (edited 07-04-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Linda Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

1 posted 2001-07-04 01:47 AM

Hmmmm....here's some non-mainstream stuff for you, most with non-intelligible lyrics, or wonderful wailing...:

Tosca...a smooth mix of electronica and piano etc with enough haunting sound to rule hip hop out completely heh (and there ain't no rap baby lol)...try these songs:

The Key, Annanas, Busenfreund, Orozco

Thievery Corporation...more smooth mixes...with some great Middle Eastern chanting going on in some pieces...lol...nice drum beats...

try Illumination, Tomorrow and The Mirror Conspiracy to start with - each is very different from the other...

Try Autechre for plain electronic, repetitious weird:

Basscadet, Clipper, Eutow...

Aphex Twin is psycho - under the genre of Intelligent dance Music - which is a complete misnomer because you can't dance to this stuff I assure you:

On, Grass, Flim

then you could go for Bjork, Massive Attack and similar, better known artists if you haven't already heard of them...

Jamie described what I listen to heh as 'situational' music (ie, I think he meant any situation where I am by myself and can't hurt the ears of the general public...lol...) but give it a try Linda...electronica doesn't equal hiphop - I can't stand it either.

If you want to get the songs I listed the best place is at Audiogalaxy.com

K

I am a refugee of logic...insisting
on unlikely land with every step.

[This message has been edited by Severn (edited 07-04-2001).]

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
2 posted 2001-07-04 01:21 PM

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, Linda, but I love Uncle Kracker's "Follow Me"......

*ducks and runs out of the Lounge as everyone begins to throw foreign objects at her*

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

3 posted 2001-07-04 01:35 PM

If your an Edwin McCain fan...the new one "Far From Over..(just came out) is a must..classic Edwin soul

The latest Train "Drops of Jupiter"...
Lifehouse.. "No Name Face"
Vertical Horizon Live Stages(older release)

and for all us old 70's and 80's dino's....
Journey came out with a new one last month..
WITHOUT Steve Perry on vocals...
BUT they found a clone who sounds just like him and the songs are classic Journey.

The new Aerosmith Just Push Play is pretty good too. Jaded is a cool song.

Stevie Nicks has a new solo out too.
MatchBoxTwenty..Mad Season (sorry Bri)    
David Gray..White Ladder
Nina Gordon.. Tonite And the Rest of my Life
U2 .. All that U cant Leave behind.

We're all feeding our lonely like it might go away,
Like the doors of heaven will swing wide open if we just find the right words to say.
~E. McCain

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
4 posted 2001-07-04 03:00 PM

OK well let me see,

I have recommend Manic Street Preachers, that amazing highly intelligent Welsh band that are virtually ignored state side. If you like the Clash, and don't mind bands with similar politic motivations (not all their songs are issue driven, and the music is as important as the lyric content)
then I recommend the Manics especially their album "Everything must Go". if you have something like napster then try downloading this song

A design for life.

if you like that check out

No surface all feeling
Kevin Carter
Ocean Spray.
Motorcycle emptiness

next I recommend Joy Division. they were part of the post punk era in Britain along with the Cure. The sound is more abrasive mechanical. Their lyrics are amazing very poetic. They are like a darker version of THe Doors.

Songs. all of them, some are tough going too dark here are some of the more uptempo numbers

Love will tear us apart (is probably their most easy listening track)
Shadow Play
insight
transmission
Dead Souls (covered by NIN on the Crow sound track

Nick cave's last album, "No more shall we part", different to his previous work. Very beautiful. In the same vein musically as his hit with Kylie.  

PJ Harvey. any of her albums, she is a bit of Bob Dylan, Patti Smith, Hole and Alanis (yet less whiny and more heart felt and emotional). Her last album "Stories from the sea, stories from the city" is the most assessable of her albums, though my favourite is "To bring you my love".

"Like Sand underneath the snow, I make you mine." Kristin Hersh

[This message has been edited by brian madden (edited 07-04-2001).]

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 posted 2001-07-04 03:19 PM

Ok listen to me!!!
Alright I am an alternative freak...

Smashing Pumpkins- if you want some VERY deep musical lyrics and a band who is the epitome of rock music this is your band. They play hits from 1979, galapogos, and Stumbeline which are very soft...to Zero, here is no why, and Bullet with Butterfly wings which are hard.
Your best bet would be to buy their cds: Melloncollie and the Infinite Sadness (it's a two cd collection), and if you want really nice soft music then buy Adore.

Radiohead- if you want asome good alternative with a twist. Their latest music is mostly a form of electronica, but they are a ROCK band, so don't be confused. Your best bet would be to buy any cd EXCEPT "Kid A", and "Amnesiac", I don't think you'd like those.

if you want more advice ask  

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
6 posted 2001-07-04 05:32 PM

do your tastes venture into the Jazz and Classical areas???

If so, I can offer a number of recordings in each category. . . just wondering. . .  

----------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

snowpants
Member Elite
since 2000-09-16
Posts 2061
KS
7 posted 2001-07-04 06:41 PM

Yep...I'm with JM on the Train and Lifehouse CD's...excellent excellent excellennt choices...but another good one is Splender...their single was on the radio last year sometime, I think...it's called "I Think God Can Explain"...and the rest of the CD is good, too...I'll be back if I can think of some more...

sp  

it was love that first drew me,
it is love that will keep me here...
now I see love burning brightly
when everything else is unclear...

Elizabeth Cor
since 2000-10-13
Posts 879
Over the river and through the woods
8 posted 2001-07-04 06:46 PM

Linda, you freak me out... began writing out errands for the day/week, and listed a few goals as well... the first was: FIND NEW MUSIC!
Bless your smart-alecky little heart...

My contribution? One album of mine that everyone swoons over:

Karma by Delirium

and I can make you a copy of Golden Bough (awesome Celtic band) for when we get together next.  

a few old favorites: anything by Cowboy Junkies, everything by Nanci Griffith, Type O Negative (The Least Worst of Type O Negative is a good starting album), Tabitha's Secret, and Anne Sophie Mutter (violinist). That’s all for now... you should really ask the hermit, he has quite a few surprises on his CD shelf.

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
9 posted 2001-07-04 11:15 PM

My number one recommendation without a single qualm is Dream Theater. The band has the talent of some of the most incredible musicians I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. Great lyrics, and incredible evocative music. If you have not heard Dream Theater I advise you to do so. Not doing so is a mortal music sin  

Another favorite is Queensryche, with their absolutely killer concept album, "Operation: Mindcrime" and also "Empire." Mindcrime can get pretty gritty, but Geoff Tate can sing so don't worry about that.

Both those bands are prog rock/metal, but for some softer a little more pop/alternative, I really do recommend Vertical Horizon. Excellent musicians and songwriters.

And if you don't have a Pink Floyd album, I won't be able to speak with you   "The Division Bell" is an incredible album showcasing David Gilmour's talent, especially.

Those are my recommendations for music that doesn't run in the cynical and jaded vain.

"They that start by burning books will end by burning men." -- Heinrich Heine

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
10 posted 2001-07-05 02:34 AM

Hmm..I'm kind of behind, but I've recently discovered a band called Tantric. I love them.   Incubus?   I've heard some of their music on the radiot, but I'm not sure how the rest of it is.  

Fading Away
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-14
Posts 3131
Lynchburg, Virginia
11 posted 2001-07-05 10:39 AM

Ani DiFranco, ALL THE WAY!  She's awesome!
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
12 posted 2001-07-06 02:24 AM

Elizabeth C...I have a  Cowboy Junkies CD.....well, it's my husbands and yeah they are really good  it's the Trinity Sesson

my favorie songs are Misguided Angel
and then Sweet Jane
and oh the way they sing Blue Moon
everyone should get that CD  

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
13 posted 2001-07-06 05:31 AM

SkyFyre~
I'd like to suggest the SongBird CD by Eva Cassidy.
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
                               noles1@totcon.com             

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
14 posted 2001-07-06 09:31 AM

I'm with you Sven, classical and jazz are my music of choice!  (besides the blues!)

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
15 posted 2001-07-06 11:36 AM

have you tried Harry Connick Jr

hi Sweets, Lizzy, Kris, Ina, Erin, Erica, Minna, Kit, Kamie, Javi, Jenn, Sharon, Nan, Cawlee, Cherish, Ashley, Sara, Justine, Leah, Jess, Kimmie, Mare

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
16 posted 2001-07-06 11:49 AM

Acies....*SIGH* that man turns me to melted butter when he sings "It had to be you" OMG I love his voice and he is sooooooooo easy on the eyes.......(hot)  
SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

17 posted 2001-07-06 01:45 PM

~Here's a little bit of east coast originated music for ya. Good stuff I've been listening to. Check 'em out. Well worth it. *Peace.

~jazz.funk.

www.soulive.com
www.funkybootyjuice.com

~folk.
www.jamesobrien.cc
www.karaughbrown.com

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
18 posted 2001-07-07 01:22 PM

Shock Javier does not like KID A or Amnesiac
by Radiohead.

Kid A is a great album.
Brian Eno dreamy stuff, a bit of Jazz, blues, rock and haunting ballads.

The other album has about 6 good songs,
if you can down load "pyramid song"
a beautiful song, like of jazz with mainly a piano.

Best bet though is their album Ok Computer.

"Like Sand underneath the snow, I make you mine." Kristin Hersh

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
19 posted 2001-07-07 01:31 PM

What about great RnB like........

Brian Mcknight

hi Sweets, Lizzy, Kris, Ina, Erin, Erica, Minna, Kit, Kamie, Javi, Jenn, Sharon, Nan, Cawlee, Cherish, Ashley, Sara, Justine, Leah, Jess, Kimmie, Mare

walker
Member Elite
since 2001-02-11
Posts 2240
Florida
20 posted 2001-07-07 08:32 PM

Want something differrent:
Eros Ramazzotti- Italian pop singer,cute and super talented. Try www.ramazzotti.com
Luis Miguel- Spanish singer,dating Miraya Carey.Also cute and talented
Good luck on your choice.

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
21 posted 2001-07-08 02:54 AM

Andrea Bocelli- Italian singer.....very good.
If you like Latin music then I suggest you get something by Maná. They are AWESOME.

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
22 posted 2001-07-08 05:10 AM

Okay.   I've just rediscovered Peter Cetera. He isn't new of course, but could be if you haven't heard him. LOL! I'm sure you have though.   "World Falling Down" is the one I have right now by him.   Beautiful love songs!  

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
23 posted 2001-07-09 09:51 AM

Andrea Boccelli is awesome
Charlotte Church too

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
24 posted 2001-07-09 09:46 PM

Charlotte Church is indeed awesome if you're in an opera mood.

Other things I love that you might want to check out:

Any song or any CD by Tracy Chapman....she has such a deep, sultry alto voice, very simplistic and tender, but also shows the strength of women...she's great for the girl power.  

Whomever suggested Matchbox 20's "Mad Season" CD (I forgot who and my review topic thing won't load) is smart, I love that one too.  Has some great ballads as well as some faster stuff.  Good all around.

Patty Larkin- Now this woman is a musical genius....everything from ballads to funky guitar, she does it all....My fav CD is "Perishable Fruit" although her latest "Regrooving The Dream" is awesome too.  Definitely someone to check out.  My guitar teacher introduced me to her and I've been lovin her stuff ever since.

Hm, just a few ideas for now, maybe I'll come back with more later.  

*Krista Knutson*

"Touched the mirror, broke the surface of the water,
Saw my true self, all illusions shattered..." ~Tracy Chapman

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
25 posted 2001-07-13 10:10 AM

112 they have this song called Peaches and Cream...wow...

Sum41 is good
Blink 182 rocks
Alien Ant Farm did Smooth Criminal and it rocks

I like Sugar Ray too

Janet Jackson's All For You is great!!

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
26 posted 2001-07-14 11:38 AM

Linda, wow you got some researching to do.
I found a site recently called www.allmusic.com.
They give short biographs of bands, list all their releases and review their releases.
Thought it might help you.

"Here I am in prison,here I am with a ball and chain There is whiskey in the jar-o" Traditional irish song.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
27 posted 2001-07-15 02:12 AM

Dead Inside by the Golden Palaminos.

Don't be fooled by the cliched name- Nicole Blackman does lyrics and vocals, and it's a really honest and poignant experience- it's basically spoken word over electronica/industrial music- Blackman's voice is like angry velvet- you know, smooth with a vicious passionate undertone...

nicole-blackman.com

everything's fine.

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
28 posted 2001-07-15 04:54 PM

Kamla - still looking for those you mentioned -- they aren't exactly easy to get hold of, yanno?  I do like Bjork, though, and have been beefing up my collection with her ...

Elizabeth - I have heard that song SO MANY TIMES on the radio that I could strangle someone if I hear so much as one note again.  Care to volunteer..?  

Janet:  I have a bit of everything you named!  You have good taste!  

Brian:  I checked out everything you suggested ... and now I know why you don't like the Corrs LOL.  I might have liked Joy Division when I was a teen -- Michael called it "slit your wrists music" LMAO.  VERY dark indeed.  Wasn't too wild about Manic Street Preachers either, though they were better than Joy Division ... and I wasn't impressed by PJ Harvey at all, which surprised me.  She had so much hype in this thread!  The music wasn't bad, I just didn't like her voice ... too smoky for my taste.

Dopey -- I love the Smashing Pumpkins, and am loaded up on them.  Radiohead I have yet to check out but that is next on my list.

Sven - yes on the classical, not sure on the jazz - definitions of jazz differ.  Throw both at me for good measure though!  

snowpants:  Train, Lifehouse, Splender - got 'em!  

Ms Cor:  I freak YOU out?     LOL  Got some Delerium, and LOVE it (not sure if it's Karma though -- it's downloaded).  I'll be looking for the CD next time I hit the music store.  Type O Negative and Tabitha's Secret we have, courtesy of hermit-boy - I'm writing down the other two for future reference.  PS:  CALL ME!  (and check your freakin email!)

Abe:  Have Dream Theater, like it muchly.  Also have Vertical Horizon - a friend sent us the CD. I think Michael has listened to it but I haven't - and since it's still sitting on the shelf I guess it didn't suck too badly (Michael frisbees bad music LOL).  Queensryche is a bit too hardcore for me on most days, though it works well for PMS -- and you needn't worry about Pink Floyd -- Michael is an absolute Pink Floyd NUT and has everything he could get his grubby mitts on from them.  

Temptress:  Got 'em!  

fading away:  Will check it out and get back to you ...

Marge:  Will look that one up -- thanks!  

acire:  isn't that country?  Does he do nice ballads?

Spitfire:  you do realize that east coast stuuf is VERY hard to get over here unless it's on a major label, right?     That being said, I liked what I heard of O'Brien from the website ... and I haven't gathered the courage to try the jazz funk yet LOL but I will soon.

acire:  I probably won't like it, hun ... I have to be in a mood.

walker:  thanks for the heads up -- will try it out!

Dopey:  Claro que si!  I'll give it them a try.

Alwye:  You've piqued my curiousity with Patty Larkin ... I'll look her up.

SEA:  Janet Jackson?!?!?!  
      (the rest sounds good LOL)

brian:  Thanks!  I'm sure it will be useful ...

hush - another impossible-to-find ... but I'll do my best.  

Thanks all ... I'll be busy for a while with all you've given me here ...
Linda

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
29 posted 2001-07-15 07:02 PM

haha SEA like 112  

112 had better songs than that.  I thought that song was aweful.

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
30 posted 2001-07-16 01:28 PM

Well I tried.

I know Joy Division is not exactly party music they make Nirvana and Radiohead sound uplifting. The manics, they are the kind of band you either love or hate.

You did not like PJ Harvey.. one of the few truly talented female singer songer writers out there who creates interesting music that is not folkishy.

Ok I will make one final suggestion,
Mansun (don't worry it is not Marilyn Manson lOl)

THey are sort of a cross between Pink Flyod David Bowie (late 60's) and punk.
Each of their albums is quite different.

Standout songs are:

Being a girl
Wide open space,
Six,
I can only disappoint you
Take it easy (if you can get a live version, it is amazing).

Their best album is Six, if you like 70's rock 80's pop and edgy music. It is a bit like Smashing Pumpkins.

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
31 posted 2001-07-16 04:26 PM

My Vitriol, JJ72, Feeder, Ash

All British indie rock...

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
32 posted 2001-07-16 04:39 PM

I forgot to say Ash and JJ72 are Irish... bands whoops...
Elizabeth Cor
since 2000-10-13
Posts 879
33 posted 2001-07-16 07:19 PM

Ms. Unpronounceable-last-name, as you will note in the CH BB which you have frequented to at least smash certain individuals, I made an announcement that said I didn't have access to my account...

I'll send you a hate mail or something so you can reach me via the horror service of Yahoo! ...

As for the call, I don't HAVE the money for $2.99 a minute right now... but maybe after this Friday, when I get my paycheck.   (yes, that is a sort-of plan)

p.s. Cowboy Junkies Rule! (Note SEA agrees, thank you SEA   )

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
34 posted 2001-07-16 07:43 PM

$2.99 a minute??  

Ain't you ever heard of 10-10-220, woman??  LOL

Hatemail away -- I love the stuff!  

Linda

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
35 posted 2001-07-17 01:48 AM

quote:
THey are sort of a cross between Pink Flyod David Bowie (late 60's)and punk.  

I hope that statement wasn't intended to lump Pink Floyd and David Bowie together as being representative of the typical late 60's sound... the only things they really have in common is that Marylin Manson recycled two of their most famous albums (The Wall-Antichrist Superstar, Ziggy Stardust-Mechanical Animals) to propel his own fame, and they were both pushing the envelope and experimenting.... totally different musical/lyrical styles...

By the way, Skyfyre, if you are interested in more accessible/mainstream electronica/industrial, NIN has quite a bit of interesting stuff that hasn't gotten as much publicity as their albums- their singles have interesting manipulations (check out the singles for Closer and March of the Pigs) as well as the remix albums- Fixed, Further Down the Spiral, and Things Falling Apart- Things Falling Apart is really good, mostly because I think that after the crappy commercial success/publicity the Fragile got (another thing I'll never understand- that's another really good album that may be a little lacking in lyrical quality at some points but more than makes up for it with instrumental songs like Just Like you Imagined, Pilgrimage, and La Mer) he just decided to do what he wanted to do, regardless of public opinion (which should have been, and may have been, the object in the first place...) but those are really good things to check out.

everything's fine.

[This message has been edited by hush (edited 07-17-2001).]

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
36 posted 2001-07-17 07:55 AM

Phone Cards are better than 10-10-220 etc.... (though ya gotta shop around)-- I get phone america cards,, a $10 card gives me nearly 7 hours of calling time to Kamla in New Zealand-- much less than dialing direct  

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
37 posted 2001-07-17 02:07 PM

Hush I was not talking about Marilyn Manson when I made reference to Pink Floyd and David Bowie. I was talking about MANSUN an english band, with no similarities other than the name with Marilyn Manson. Here is where I ruin my chances of been taken seriously I quite liked Antichrist Superstar (no it is no original or cutting edge but it is fun agro music still has more substance than all those dreaded Nu metal bands (papa roach etc).

I looked up Allmusic.com for a description of Mansun's sound. They called them "Neo-Prog, Britpop" which I guess is as close as you can get. I promise that they are more upbeat than the other bands I suggested.

"Here I am in prison,here I am with a ball and chain There is whiskey in the jar-o" Traditional irish song.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
38 posted 2001-07-17 02:31 PM

LOL- I know you weren't talking about Manson when you brought up Mansun- I brought that up on my own accord. I was just saying that you bring up Bowie and Floyd as if they are synonymous with one another- and Manson is one of their only links.

I personally quite like Marylin Manson- the stupid mind games he tries to play with his fans are irritating, but it's okay if you don't buy into the image and concentrate solely on the music; and if you think of his rip-offs (he stole a lot of ideas and music from various places, i used to have a page bookmarked that documented all of it) as references to the musical/cultural greats that came before him, and his music as a sort of representation of all of that, it's really quite interesting. truth is, he's probably more interested in being a big famous rockstar than anything, and he's intelligent enough that he likes to toy around and pretend that by spewing recycled Nietsche and LeVey ideology to a crowd too young and apathetic to actually do their own philisophic research that he's some undeground gothic messiah gone mainstream and out to overthrow the tyrranny that is Christianity... or at least, he gets kicks out of making his devotees think that's what he's up to.   Anyway, his heyday is over, and all but a few songs from his latest album were garbage. He's got to face the music (no pun intended). Goth isn't in anymore- Maybe he'll go punk next.  

You are more than the sum of what you consume
Desire is not an occupation
-Nicole Blackman/KMFDM

Elizabeth Cor
since 2000-10-13
Posts 879
39 posted 2001-07-17 03:44 PM

hehe   Well, Jamie, Linda has a SPECIAL line that I can't afford which has nothing to do with distance LOL ...

Besides, my roommate/deputy mentor works for the government, and so does her phone   ...

Now, Linda, do I need to specify an EXACT time for you to tromp down to the "town phone" and wait for the call? Is anyone else scheduled at a certain time? I just don't want to have to ride my cow all the way out to the Modesto switchboard and have you not be there...

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
40 posted 2001-07-17 07:45 PM

Hush, I have to agree about the last album it was bad. Someone like Manson only has a short shelf life. Someone like him was needed, he is a showman. PUnk? They tried that already. Maybe he will become a born again christian. lol

I only made reference to Bowie and P.F as I was trying to describe Mansun's (english band) sound. They were the main ones I could think of. Reason I chose them was because Mansun tend to experiment alot, their album six is very prog rock (in a good way) with lots of weird sounds, unconventional song structures, and lots of guitar fx.
I am really plugging this band because they are really good except their last album which is ok, they tried to do pop, simple songs and sweeping ballads. Did not quiet work.

MP3 downloads can be found http://website.lineone.net/~mansun/index.html

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
41 posted 2001-07-18 12:20 PM

Well, Brian, if you're referring to the days of portrait... that was good punk, I meant maybe he'll stop wearing makeup, pierce his lip again, get some plugs, and start jamming with Blink 182 and Three Doors Down.... Actually, there was some mainstream punk sound in Holy Wood... the one song... (can't remember the name) sounded almost exactly like song 2 by Blur...

The biggest problem I had with Holy Wood (besides Coma Black, lol) was the fact that he outright STOLE the intro to Floyd's Empty Spaces for one of the songs.... I don't like to see my favorite band plagiarized, especially in such an unbecoming and pretentious album!

Anyway, Mr. Manson could probably have a thead all his own, but that's digressing from the issue at hand, because I certainly wouldn't recommend him to anyone... lol.

You are more than the sum of what you consume
Desire is not an occupation
-Nicole Blackman/KMFDM

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
42 posted 2001-07-18 01:13 PM

Portrait punk??? going to have to listen that album again. At the moment I am getting into British punk and post punk. The clash being the punk band (london Calling is a great album has almost everything except disco).
I downloaded some good songs from Magazine yesterday. The main guy from the Buzzcocks formed the band after the Buzzcocks spilt up. The other famous member of the band is
Barry Adamson who plays occasionally with Nick Cave and the badseeds (marilyn could learn a thing or two from Nick Cave) there is a man who has managed to do goth without the makeup.
Anyway good songs from Magazine are
Shot by both sides,
my tulpa
The light pours out of me.

LInda, if you like the Doors you have to hear celebration of the Lizard it is about 17 minutes long, has poetry, rock, spooky stuff and a frantic version of "Not to touch the earth".

OK that is all I am saying. No more musical comments from me.

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
43 posted 2001-07-20 04:07 PM

yeah, Janet Jackson   I like dance music and hers is happy and fun, besides my son is in love with her LOL   and 112 is really good, I just got that cd on tuesday,
and I really like it  

Weezer has a cool sound.....
Linkin Park is the best! gonna get that cd this weekend.....
I like Eve6 too........
I DO NOT like P.Diddy ( what the hell is that?!)

[This message has been edited by SEA (edited 07-20-2001).]

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
44 posted 2001-07-20 04:21 PM

I know I said I was not going to comment anymore, but Sea… I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but Lickin Park, God, shuddering. Did they come from the nu metal factory with Limp Biskit and Papa Roach. The thing that really annoys me is that they all sound so alike. God, it is terrible the state of chart music these days. No wonder I have to go back to the 70's for some decent music.
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

45 posted 2001-07-20 10:01 PM

Linkin Park suck.

Linda - try these: if they don't open, let me know..you'll have to download the satellite though - easy to do..

Thievery Corp...

http://www.audiogalaxy.com/list/searches .php?SID=5eddd037d16d0f8fa428a145593bcb34&searchType=0&searchStr=thievery+corporation&x=12&y=2

Tosca...

http://www.audiogalaxy.com/list/searches.php?SID=5eddd 037d16d0f8fa428a145593bcb34&searchType=0&searchStr=tosca&x=13&y=11

Jazzanova...

http://www.audiogalaxy.com/list/searches.php?SID=5e ddd037d16d0f8fa428a145593bcb34&searchType=0&searchStr=Jazzanova&x=15&y=8

the rest should be easy from here...I'm not sure they will open...but hey - worth a shot. It should truly be easy to find them on Audiogalaxy.com...

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (edited 07-20-2001).]

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
46 posted 2001-07-21 12:16 PM

ya know.....every one is entitled to like what they like.....if you can't be nice shut the hell up....SEVERN AND BRIAN!!! good grief, what crawled up your butts?????
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
47 posted 2001-07-21 05:05 AM

Sea, a music critic. They do that to nest you know, hibernate. I think the only way to keep most of them away is by playing Linkin Park really loud, but be careful that might attarct the Metal Hammer music critics and they are the worst.

I am quite happy with my music critic, from Rolling Stone may I add, nesting up my...there is no nice way to say it.... THey shrink OK, that is how they fit in only you get tons of free cds as rent for their stay....

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

48 posted 2001-07-22 07:25 AM

Hmmm...I guess an opinion crawled up my butt. Let me elaborate, and expand 'Linkin Park suck' into proper sentences so that no more misunderstanding is possible:

Yes. Everyone is entitled to what they do and don't like. So that said, here is me acting on my entitlement: I THINK Linkin Park SUCK, but that doesn't mean that I feel everyone who LIKES them sucks also. Nor do I feel that the music taste of said people who like Linkin Park suck. Nor do I usually mince my words to cater for the sensitivities of defensive people, simply because I don't know that such sensitivities will exist until I am told to shut the hell up.   In fact SEA, I actually said 'Linkin Park suck' with a touch of 'school humour' - meaning - read it in a juvenile tone, ie - remember how you used to say 'so and so sucks' when you were around 15? Think of that. Ahh..I think such thoughts don't belong in the hallowed halls of a Music discussion thread. (Here's a thought though - perhaps I might have been offended by the crawling-up-butts comment? Is that really being nice? Fortunately..I wasn't). Anywho...music is to chill out to yanno?

Let's all relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax and be happy - like so many songs say...

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (edited 07-22-2001).]

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
49 posted 2001-07-22 11:11 PM

Most of the ones K has posted I have- and have made Cds of.. already had  Golden Bough and Delirium ( which is great).. I have been sampling many of the other suggestions, and have found some great new music to enjoy as a result.. thanks everyone!   ( 'specially you K)

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

Allan Riverwood
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
50 posted 2001-08-24 07:28 AM

X Marks the Pedwalk - albums: Drawback and Retrospective are excellent if you can get your hands on them.

VNV Nation - albums: Empires, Praise the Fallen.

In Flames - Albums: pretty much anything, I recommend the album Whoracle above the others.

My Dying Bride - Albums: Light at the End of the World, Turn Loose the Swans, Like Gods of the Sun.

You eat the brains of an old, wise man.

citizenx
since 2001-07-31
Posts 189
motorcade
51 posted 2001-08-24 03:08 PM

I am in my Leonard Cohen phase at the moment,

how do you describe Leonard Cohen..... flat baritone voice, very poetic lyrics. dark depressing at times.

well you have to heard at least one of his classic songs...

suzanne,
Hallalujah,
so long marianne.

my favourite at the moment is
the future (which played over the end credits of Natural born killers) and waiting for a miracle which also featured on the film.

I also strongly recommend Barry Adamson,

he does alot of instrumental stuff that is really good, sort of a hybrid of jazz, rock pop disco.. a bit of everything except dance techno or classic

best songs,

Hollywood sunset,
Business as usual
Something Wicked This Way Comes  
Sweetest Embrace
Mr Eddy's driving theme 1&2  

"the blizzard of the world has crossed the threshold and it has overturned
the order of the soul" leonard cohen

Jenn Cirrincione
Member Elite
since 2000-07-02
Posts 2107
Fl
52 posted 2001-09-01 07:06 PM

Hmmm I didn't read this whole thing... but I'll make some suggestions anyway.

Tori Amos- Hits like "Spark", "Cornflake Girl"...etc... some great inspirational girl music there.

Beth Hart, Nina Gorden they're good as well
If you're in the mood for about the same type of music...

Then the loud, fun stuff... get your hands on some Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback, and Staind.  

"Baby I've been drifting away, dreaming all day, of holding you, touching you, the only thing that I wanna do is be with you..."Faith Hill

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
53 posted 2001-09-03 06:50 PM

I like the new Nickelback song a LOT and some Stained as well.
(just to show a funny age thing, when I first heard the name of the first group, I thought it was Nickel Bag-the way we bought pot in the good old days  LOL)
Sandra

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I need new music ...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary