navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » better sitcoms than "friends".
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic better sitcoms than "friends". Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2001-07-02 05:00 PM

I will admit I used to watch Friends at the start but my interest soon died. I began to wonder what is all the hype about, there are better shows on tv than friends, now most of my favourite comedy shows are not on any more there are still showing repeats of friends.

So in a sad nostalgic mood and in an attempt to prove that there are better shows than Friends here is a list of great tv comedy shows not on tv anymore.

The Drew Carey show. (the host from whose line is it anyway?) a bit like the live action version of Dilbert with a sharp funny script with normal people focusing on normal life (though not as gritty as Rosanne).

The young ones (I know this show is at least 10-15 yrs old)I am regretting the fact that I never taped the re runs of this. One of the funniest shows ever. It is a british comedy about 4 students (a hippy, a punk, a political one who likes Ciff Richard, and the smooth talking one) living together. There is no real plot just bizarre surreal things happening. Even the food in the fridge talks.

Action, a very sharp satire about a movie producer who makes dodgy action films. Very funny.
---------

On the plus side there is still one good sitcom, WIll and Grace. Ok it is a bit perky but not as perky as Friends and funnier too.

Well I am done moaning.

© Copyright 2001 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
Spice
since 2001-04-13
Posts 1266
Resting in my cardboard box.
1 posted 2001-07-02 05:21 PM

Ugh! I LOVE Will and Grace!
And I agree with you, Friends isn't all that great anymore. I've completely forgotten about it.
And I thought Drew Carey was still on? I thought it was on like Fox now or something? Or maybe those are re-runs... But like Mimi (sp?) had a baby and everything..so surely they weren't re-runs? I dunno though...
And hey! You HAVE to love That 70's Show! It's hillarious!

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
2 posted 2001-07-02 06:03 PM

The Drew Carey show is the bomb

hi Sweets, Lizzy, Kris, Ina, Erin, Erica, Minna, Kit, Kamie, Javi, Jenn, Sharon, Nan, Cawlee, Cherish, Ashley, Sara, Justine, Leah, Jess, Kimmie, Mare

inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
3 posted 2001-07-02 07:01 PM

I am so fed up with shows that are vulgar and "Drew Carey" is one of those. I did watch "Friends" but tired of people who can't live without having the approval of all their friends. Do enjoy Frasier or at least the summer reruns.
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

4 posted 2001-07-02 07:47 PM

Spice - Brian lives in Ireland..I think he means it isn't on over there anymore...

How about Spin City (we get reruns of it here...) and Just Shoot Me. Oh and That 70's show...

as far as Friends is concerned: The girls keep getting skinnier...and so do the plots...

K

I am a refugee of logic...insisting
on unlikely land with every step.

[This message has been edited by Severn (edited 07-02-2001).]

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
5 posted 2001-07-02 10:25 PM

I still love Friends.....it makes me laugh and smile....that and I don't watch too much tv.....LOL.....I love Will and Grace....oh I hurt from laughing at that show....and Just Shoot Me is great.....I don't think the drew carey show is very funny.....that 70's show is SO funny.....but yeah...still like Friends  
Spice
since 2001-04-13
Posts 1266
6 posted 2001-07-02 10:42 PM

Ugh! Just Shoot Me! How could I forget that one? I LOVE David Spade...He cracks me up. That show is great.
And I agree with you Severn- The girls in Friends are getting horribly skinny.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
7 posted 2001-07-02 11:21 PM

Well, I get the army channel here and I love Futurama (Bender's my hero), Simpsons (Homer is the only accurate representation of a man on TV), and

Buffy, the Vampire Slayer.

Buffy has got to be the funniest show on the planet

with the possible exception of . . .

Monkey ("Even at the end of the universe, nature calls"-- it's a Japanese show.)

Brad

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
8 posted 2001-07-02 11:59 PM

OMG!! MONKEY!!! That show is awesome!  

Just shoot me is hilarious. Gotta love it. Oh, what about Everybody loves Raymond? Kill the mother but love Robbie. You've just got to feel sorry for the guy. hehe...still funny though.  

Never speak disrespectfully of Society. Only people who can't get into it do that.
~ Oscar Wilde ~

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
9 posted 2001-07-03 09:13 AM

what about "Who's line is it?"
is that acceptable as a sitcom?

hi Sweets, Lizzy, Kris, Ina, Erin, Erica, Minna, Kit, Kamie, Javi, Jenn, Sharon, Nan, Cawlee, Cherish, Ashley, Sara, Justine, Leah, Jess, Kimmie, Mare

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
10 posted 2001-07-03 10:16 AM

TV worth watching?-- Occurs about 2 times a week from November to April. (well hopefully April..on rare occasions it ends in March)..and if you are away from a TV, tune into a radio station that is a part of...
The Tarheel Sports Network
heh

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
11 posted 2001-07-03 10:42 AM

Acire,  
The English Version is hilarious. I much prefer that.  

Never speak disrespectfully of Society. Only people who can't get into it do that.
~ Oscar Wilde ~

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
12 posted 2001-07-03 02:31 PM

Sitcoms I used to like before I lost interest in T.V.: Roseanne, Drew Carey, Simpsons (before fox decided to forget about plots and focus on guest stars).

Sometimes I still watch Taxi, 70's show, Malcom in the Middle, Seinfeld, and the Wonder Years.

Shows I detest: Friends, Spin City (it's so freakin hokey, the jokes sound like those on Laffy Taffy wrappers), and just about everything else.

everything's fine.

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
13 posted 2001-07-03 02:33 PM

Bri, have you seen "The Wife and Kids" with Damon Wayans? It is bust a gut funny, and I am not easily amused.
I agree Friends used to be a lot better. But I cannot stand Drew Carey..

Spice
since 2001-04-13
Posts 1266
14 posted 2001-07-03 03:56 PM

Oh, I've sene that ONCE! Oh man that was a HILLARIOUS show. I've not seen it again though... When and where does that "The Wife and Kids" come on???

BTW- I STILL watch RoseAnne on TBS everyday. I love that show. The household, the way they all interact with eachother- all their sarcasm and humor, completely reminds me of my home. One of the best shows ever.

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
15 posted 2001-07-03 04:14 PM

I just gotta say that Who's Line is it Anyway is the bomb....
Spice
since 2001-04-13
Posts 1266
16 posted 2001-07-03 04:33 PM

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » better sitcoms than "friends".

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary