navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I did it anyway...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic I did it anyway... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2011-05-04 03:35 PM

Stuff I used to do before, stuff I thought I'd never do again...

I met Spike Lee at a meet and greet thingie last week. He was as embarrassed as I was. I know because I was a ridiculous blabbering idiot and was blushing so hard I made him blush.

So not to be undone, my husband snagged me into another promotional signing thing for the cast of Treme' this morning, in the French Quarter.

A very long line, but c'mon, a cool front in May?

With all the sadness going on, with every reason to put the blankets on the windows and stay in bed, I got dressed and went with him anyhow.

New Orleans smells like my Grandma's kitchen. (The clean cool breeze and the smell of roux will do it for me every time.) And I couldn't help it. I get a little restless in lines, so yep, I was a bad girl.

I tapped hubby on the shoulder and pointed to the Irish bar...

"You're going to drink at this hour?"

"I am going to sit and if I happen to think they might make a decent bloody mary and one appears before me?"

Heaven, I tell ya, Pure Heaven.

The doors open, Eric Lindell on the Juke, a perfect Bloody Mary with celery and my beloved bean--I was like Whoopi Goldberg in Sister Act, jammin' at the bar. And it's just lovely, yanno. Stacks of books were next to me, just for the taking.

"Y'wanna book?"

oh smileeeeeeeeeeeeee...

I love New Orleans.

The bartender told me I looked familiar. I replied I had no idea why, because I've been locked up for twenty years.

He didn't ask, and I didn't explain. Nobody gave a damn and I like it that way.

So I had two bloody mary's--without my morning prevacid, and hey--it was noon. ish.

The husband came to retrieve me and I got the go-cup New Orleans is infamous for, and we decided to pick up sandwiches for the family before we headed back to dismal daily dreaded...life.

Now, I ask you, where else can you get a 16 inch sandwich, dressed (that would mean with lettuce, tomatoes and pickles) and the ham would have been stacked, but they flat iron the French bread, melting the swiss perfectly too--and I'm talking FRENCH bread, not that spongy crap that Subway tries to call French, AND, AND???

A Big Shot root beer, a native brand of New Orleans, 24 fluid oz.

And that's five bucks.  

I am grinnin' in spite of the rebellious ulcer grief, 'cause the guy asked me, while I was observing a hand-written sign over a cooler that proclaimed "DAMNED COLD BEER", and he asked me if I wanted a Hubig pie with that!

Mercy.

No thank you. I be big enough.

(A Hubig pie is another N'awlins thing--a deep fried  handfulla pie, in just about any flavor you want.)

But my point is, there's still a lot to cry about, a lot to worry about, but today was a bit of a home-coming for me.

I love New Orleans and I wanna go home and stay home.

Go do something you love, good people.

It's the best drug in the world.

*love and peace*

and yeah, serenity! *smile*

Be good to yourselves, and each other. I love you guys, and I need a nap.

I just ate eight inches of a po boy.

*chuckle*

© Copyright 2011 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2011-05-04 03:48 PM

It was a good thing to read this today...
for all of the reasons stated...

and that you found reason to celebrate
some extra-ordinary moments.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2011-05-04 03:54 PM

It's been such a long time since I've done anything like that!

And it's been right there, all along.

I sat where I could people-watch, too, and there was this very tall, elegant older lady, with very beautiful long white hair. She was wearing a Drew Brees Saints Jersey, tucked into a black pleated maxi skirt, and she had donned a black beret.

I totally love that outfit now.

And btw? The bloody mary was not only perfectly seasoned, it was 10 oz. of perfectly seasoned bloody mary and that cost three bucks.

There's no place like home.

And a book, for lagniappe...I don't know if there's any other place like New Orleans.

After today, I hope I never know.

Why would I wanna?

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
3 posted 2011-05-05 09:34 PM

I love that you had a wonderful day and were able to relax.I know you, as I, read a little too much of the gloom stuff and a break is great. Thanks for sharing.It made me feel good just knowing you were back in the groove, if just for a day. love ya, jo
ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
4 posted 2011-05-09 10:21 PM

You have the story tellin' knack bar none...and I could taste that damn cold beer too.  I don't even drink beer...hell, I don't even drink...but the sun was good in Michigan today and I soaked up every good vibe I came across...including this one Karen!  Cheers gal!
Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
5 posted 2011-05-10 11:27 AM

I miss your stories.

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2011-05-10 05:19 PM

I'm cracking myself up again--a certain moth tells me I should just blog, but then? WHY?

It was a fantastic half an hour. For about 25 minutes, I forgot I was married, I forgot I had housework to do, I even (blush) forgot I was the mother of two nearly grown kids.

It was just me, a bloody mary, Eric Lindell, and a bartender who knows when to NOT talk.

Heaven.

The next day I slipped on a cow femur.

Yep.

I have a bovine thigh bone on the floor in my livingroom (used as a doorstop some times, but mostly just to make people say "ew") anyhoo...I managed to step on that in such a perfect way that it acted as an ice skate on our tile floor.

My daughter came out to see what the fuss was about since I was laughing and crying at the same time--and I told her I was picturing myself sitting in the waiting room to see my doc while holding PROOF of yet another Karen mishap in the form of what looks like a Dino treat from the Flintstones. (My doctor and I have a mutual sympathetic relationship--he has compassion for me, and I have compassion for his having to put up with me.)

I'm fine, but my knees are in no shape for...praying.

So ya'll pray for me?

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2011-05-10 08:27 PM

Oh good gosh - you hear from moth??? Will you tell her please to contact me?

As for your doc...thank goodness for his funnybone...[chuckle]

and as for the prayer?

You have them in spades!!!

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
8 posted 2011-05-20 11:21 AM

(:

-Juju

-"So you found a girl
Who thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing about really deep thoughts " Silent all these Years, Tori Amos

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
9 posted 2011-05-21 01:20 AM

You dear friend are the greatest story teller ever, and yes you should blog.   I have to say I think you are the greatest ambassador for N'Awlins.  It is just too darn bad I couldn't have been there with you, the Duck Lady, and the "moth" to toast our breakfast with a bloody mary,  Isn't "me" time just great.  I am so good to me, and so pleased to here you are good to you.  She changed her email can you tell her to email me K?  Ciao.  
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
10 posted 2011-05-21 05:53 PM

Pure you....I agree with Sharon. You are the greatest story-teller I have ever read and I never tire of reading you. You should be required reading for any university that teaches creative writing....I mean it. You have the gift...
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2011-05-21 05:57 PM

It's not all gravy, mind you.

But there's bits of Old N'awlins left for now. Over 700 buildings are slated for demo though. And Lake Ponchartrain is half full of mud now, AND of course, today is Hurricane Prep Rally day in New Orleans--interesting choice of dates, I say.

And now my dog is barking...

Let me go see.

But yep, I'm glad I did it. For 25 minutes I was nobody's wife, nobody's mom...just somebody's customer.

I love my various roles in life, but it was really a nice break.

And oh my...we're nearing the time for The Rapture...

Can you hear me? Can you hear me NOW?

*tap tap tap*

"Is thing on?"

I didn't mean it yanno. I really don't want to be all alone on the planet...

*sniff*

It was just a bloody mary. I didn't name it. I didn't even think that name might be blasphemous...

On the bright side, I seriously doubt New Orleans is in danger of being raptured--even if we do call our football team The Saints.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

12 posted 2011-05-21 07:01 PM

Okay. It's now 6:01 and I am still he
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

13 posted 2011-05-21 07:03 PM

just kiddin'...

Please take my little jokes as just little jokes and not a mockery of anyone's religious beliefs.

And m'deer, Deer?

ALL OF YOU who pop in to say such nice things. It's not that I don't hope for the best for you all, but stick around, okay?

Ya'll are good for me.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
14 posted 2011-07-18 06:32 PM

Karen...you are so good at making smiles from just about anything.  Grumble...of course, you couldn't have a regular old door stop.  And, if you talk to that moth, tell her I've been thinking about her lately.  I love you, Lady!
Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
15 posted 2011-08-08 07:48 AM

Whenever I am having a bad day all I have to do is come to PiP and read you ... you ALWAYS make me smile with your wit and N'awlins charm!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I did it anyway...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary