navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Let The Games Begin - Vancouver is hosting The 2010 Winter Olympics
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Let The Games Begin - Vancouver is hosting The 2010 Winter Olympics Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2010-02-12 05:31 PM

Here is the song that represents us as Canadians, and our pride in hosting these games.  It is called, "I Believe."  

I BELIEVE by Nikki Yanofsky

Well our city is in the neatest chaos, and everyone is loving the atmosphere, even if you can't park anywhere.  Well you can, but it will cost you about $75.00.  The 2010 Winter Olympics start officially tonight with Opening Ceremonies.  My family got a preliminary look yesterday as invited guests to the dress rehearsal, and it went off without a hitch!  My oldest granddaughter was in 7th heaven, talking to Nelly Furtado, and other singers she admires.  I have to admit I have never seen Canadians so excited.  Nor the protesters to be honest, which accompany any lavish, expensive affair that takes place here.

The flame has been carried for 16 days throughout B.C. and is almost to the site, and when that happens it all begins.  I am loving all the nationalities that are here, with one common goal, to enjoy the 2010 Olympic Games, even though the United States stole all our snow this year!  We actually had to truck some in for the local ski hills.

I may sound like others in here that complain after these games, knowing there is going to be a major deficit, but right now - "Let The Games Begin!"

Olympic Torch Relay

VANCOUVER 2010 OLYMPICS

The place to be will be Whistler, B.C. one of our local ski resorts, and one of my favorite places period!  Here is a link to what is happening there:

Whistler/Blackcombe Ski Resort

If any of you came for these games, email me.  I will try to meet up with you and buy you a "Canadian!"

© Copyright 2010 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
1 posted 2010-02-12 06:05 PM

So very sad, our first fatality.  Luge is one sport I am going to on Saturday, so can you imagine the fear factor of those athletes now?  So very sad.

Nodar Kumaritashvili, a Gerogian Luger, died in a terribly sad and unfortunate luge accident today at the Whistler Olympic Park, Day 1 of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Kumaritashvili was on a practice run when he lost control of his sled and was launched off the track.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 2010-02-12 08:07 PM

I'm watching the opening ceremonies...what a beautiful place!!
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2010-02-12 08:28 PM

It's sad to have lost someone...

This is just awesome, though - I wish I could be there to see these festivities - but I'll enjoy them with you from home.

Enjoy every minute of it, Sharon..:-)

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2010-02-12 08:38 PM

Hi guys, it doesn't start here for 45 minutes, but is exciting just waiting.

Michael you have to come here one day.  I may be partial but I think you can not find a more beautiful city in the world, with seasons, and so much to do right within small distances.  I could never leave here.

Well...let's get this party started!  See everyone in a few days.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
5 posted 2010-02-12 09:24 PM

Awesome.. absolutely AWESOME!!

I saw these First Nation folks dancing in their native longhouse when I was visiting Sharon, and was impressed then - this is tremendous... Maybe I can hitchhike and get there before it's over..:-)

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2010-02-13 12:59 PM

Now how awesome was that?  We could not have had greater seats.  I actually cried a few times, and I never cry.  It is a "feeling" that gets you, and you can't control it.  K.D. Lange did such a great job of Leonard Cohen's song, that I could hardly keep myself together.  Well tomorrow is a new day, and off we go now to enjoy a couple of events at Whistler, then back here for some ice skating, for the girls.  I can't wait for the Closing Ceremonies now, how are they ever going to top that? The "graphics" were phenomenal!  We sure come together as a country and show our true colours when we have to that is for sure.  Enjoy your weekend everyone.  Try to support your athletes they are the models for future generations.

p.s. Nan, did you recognize any of the Squamish Band dancers from the Longhouse?  There were three there.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
7 posted 2010-02-13 07:34 AM

Absolutely beautifully done...I enjoyed every minute. Canada is yet a place I must visit some day.

It was sad to learn of the loss of Nodar Kumaritashvili and must be very hard for those who have to continue the luge.

M

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
8 posted 2010-02-13 10:10 AM

I was looking - but none of them looked like the ones we saw..

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
9 posted 2010-02-13 11:44 AM

Have a blast Sharon. It's pretty neat to be up close and so personal in the midst of that kind of celebration.

Enjoy it first hand, and we'll be enjoying it from here as well.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2010-02-13 02:54 PM

"I am loving all the nationalities that are here, with one common goal, to enjoy the 2010 Olympic Games, even though the United States stole all our snow this year!"

Believe me, Mys, I'm sure our southern neighbors would love to send it all back!

What I was able to watch last night was wonderful, and a thrill to behold. Even the minor glitch in the lighting of the final torch didn't hold your countrymen back from forging on.

I had heard that the Georgians were going to pull out of the Olympics; none of the games are ever safe...but the games do set standards for exceptional skill, and we can be proud of all of those young people who persevere. And I think that Nodar Kumaritashvili would be proud that his people are going to march on.

It will be a very interesting two weeks.

Misty Lilacs
since 2005-11-15
Posts 1060
White Birch Forest
11 posted 2010-02-13 08:36 PM

I was so dreadfully sorry for the loss of Nodar Kumaritashvili. My sympathies to his family, his teammates, all Olympians and the people of Georgia. May he Rest in Peace.
The opening ceremony was wonderful, especially the whales; I loved seeing the native Canadians and they must have been so proud of their country.
I am riveted to my TV. Wishing for better weather.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
12 posted 2010-02-13 09:43 PM

After watching the Opening Ceremonies with about 59,999 other folks, and witnessing only one little glitch with a hydraulic arm in our flame at the end, I think we impressed the world.  I just can't get over how intrigued the visitors are with the aboriginals here, and in you ask anyone, they say that is the highlight of their visit.  Native Online is making a killing selling art, which is wonderful!  So far the games are impressive, the entertainment, the various pavilions, and displays are awesome, but lots of lineups.  I think our city did a great job of getting this ready. I wonder with the bill at the end of this is going to be, I shudder to think.  

However, I am thoroughly disgusted with the protesters that are making a very poor impression downtown.  They managed to smash the Bay's big display windows, and spray paint them red and for what?  We have a huge police force, that has been a little too soft, and we have all let them know it, so hopefully downtown will be rid of these black-masked chicken livers. When you hide behind a mask to do your destruction and damage, that is not a protest, that is just a "free for all" by kids, and wanna be kids.  They make me so mad!  However, when the world is your stage, someone is sure to write a play I guess.

It is a touch and go situation with our stupid weather here too, and downhill was canceled today.  Downer     They may honor those tickets, but some folks may not even be here for the new date, so that is sad for those people.  

Did I mention we don't grow old in B.C., we just rust away, seriously!  I think I will get myself back home now, and watch it from the comfort of my living room.  I have never been one to stand in lines.  Thank God for big screen HDTV.

Thanks for supporting the games here, I for one appreciate it.  Lovely place I live isn't it?

Here you go Marti - found a little something special for your birthday Brian Adams - Here I Am

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
13 posted 2010-02-14 12:40 PM

The best pictures to show you that I have found are in the Los Angeles Times and The Vancouver Sun, so have a look when you get time.
The 2010 Olympic Games In Photos At LA Times
The Vancouver Sun

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
14 posted 2010-02-14 09:46 PM

Go Canada - Congratulations to Alexander Bilodeau and Vancouver on the GOLD!

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
15 posted 2010-02-14 10:06 PM

Did you hear me scream all the way down there?  Wow, can you imagine all that training for 23 seconds, and being the first to win a Gold on home turf?  I would be beside myself, but he is very humble through it all, and hopes it is inspiration for the rest of our athletes.  

This is way better watching at home with feet up and munchies I tell you.  The coverage is awesome.

The kids are at an awards ceremony downtown and you could not pay me enough to go downtown again

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
16 posted 2010-02-16 12:21 PM

Here is a wonderful new site that shows off Vancouver the way it should be shown, even in this Spring weather we are having for Winter Olympics.  Enjoy!
Photobubbles of Vancouver

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
17 posted 2010-02-16 06:19 PM

USA against RUSSIA - Women's Hockey - 5th goal for USA and it is only the 1st period.  Go USA Go!
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
18 posted 2010-02-16 09:37 PM

Beware of American women with a stick in their hand!!!!
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
19 posted 2010-02-17 11:18 PM

Looks like your men should be feared with a snowboard too     They took Gold and Bronze, and Shaun is still a record holder.  Man, he seems to just fly like Peter Pan that boy!
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
20 posted 2010-02-18 01:33 AM

Doesn't he, though?? He can get higher than Keith Richards!!
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
21 posted 2010-02-18 10:40 AM

Shaun White is astounding!!

Winning the gold on his first run and just flying  high on his second run, knowing he already had the gold - And did we EVER get a treat!!..

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
22 posted 2010-02-18 01:29 PM

You have to love HDTV I tell ya!  When he flew through the air like that, I could almost see the snow (what there is of it) from the kickback on his board.  I had tickets for all those events at the railing (stand-up) which I think is better than sitting for those.  They canceled all those tickets because the "real" snow melted and it was too dangerous for spectators to stand that close.  I am actually okay with that - I have to admit the games are WAY better on t.v. for viewing, but you miss the hype yanno?

Downtown is nuts here, and fun, fun, fun.  Did you all see the "Dancing In The Streets?" flash mob dance?  That was just awesome!  There are no cars allowed downtown, and the streets are walkways for people.  I was just walking in the crowd with hundreds of others along Robson when this music started playing and out of no where, first about 10 then 50, then 300, then 600, then about 1200-1500 people took over a couple of blocks and began to do this routine on Robson - it was just so great.  I have learned one thing through all these games, Canada does have the same patriotic spirit as the USA, and all this time I didn't think we could actually rise to the occasion, but we sure have!  Here is a link to show you the spectacle on Robson, which was the highlight of the "street scenes" to me anyway.

Flash Mob - Dancing In The Streets - Winter Olympics 2010

I would have showed you my take on it, but it is not nearly as good as this one from above.  I ended up getting right in there, that was such fun!

By the way, another day of 52 degree weather, so I am busy putting up my gazebo to sit outside.  The birds are chirping, the dang flowers are blooming, and we in Vancouver, are just scratching our heads over this.  AND...the sad part is I bought beautiful Ed Hardy winter boots I didn't even wear them, LOL.Hmmm, may sell them on Ebay

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
23 posted 2010-02-18 08:47 PM

You????? Sell a pair of your shoes????

NO WAY!!!

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
24 posted 2010-02-28 02:31 PM

OMG this town has gone absolutely crazy.  Horns are honking, fireworks during the day, and people having beer for breakfast!  

Such a mixed emotion day, I love all you guys down there, but I have to say, on home turf,

GO CANADA GO   GO CANADA GO   GO CANADA GO   GO CANADA GO   GO CANADA GO   GO CANADA GO

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Let The Games Begin - Vancouver is hosting The 2010 Winter Olympics

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary