navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Is it possible..?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Is it possible..? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Falling rain
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois

0 posted 2009-09-30 04:48 PM

...to lose ones talent? I don't know why but I feel what ever talent I did have in writing has sort of fade away. But my question is, is it possible?

-Zach

© Copyright 2009 Zach Booker-Scott - All Rights Reserved
Android 17
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-07-21
Posts 664
Winnipeg
1 posted 2010-06-17 02:51 AM

No. It's like working out though. If you don't work out for a long time you'll get soft and squishy.

Keep at it. Or work on small exercises to keep yourself sharp.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
2 posted 2010-07-30 07:03 PM

When it comes to you, write.  When it doesn't, read or play basketball...James
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
3 posted 2010-07-30 07:54 PM

Welcome to being a writer, Little Brother...
I hadn't written any poetry at all in.. what? Almost a year, before my latest string of scribbles.

Write every day... even if all you do is write "I can't think of a single thing to write today".
Start a journal and keep it going... and write in it religiously. When you write something in it that strikes a nerve, or is a particularly nice twist of words, then use it as a way to write something else.

Above all... if nothing comes to mind... Oh, Well... Perhaps another day.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "WHAT A RIDE

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
4 posted 2010-08-02 02:18 PM

It is not just possible, but it is inevitable.  The direction of life in the long run is of course death and everything deteriorates the closer we get to that fate, including many talents and skills.   Therefore it is best to make the most of the body's abilities while age has not eaten away too much at them yet.

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
5 posted 2010-08-02 04:57 PM

In the evolution of the soul creativity has its own arc.  As in all evolution the end, in some lifetime, is extinction.  

You should not assume this has happened.  Better to focus on the rest of your life for a while and let the writer in you have a little alone time.

The greatest likelyhood is that creativity will re-emerge in time.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

6 posted 2010-08-02 07:48 PM

The simplest answer is this:  Just keep writing.  Talent is not something you have, it's something you make by writing and playing with words.  If you keep writing long enough, you won't worry about talent, you'll worry about writing that day, which is all that should concern you.  Some days it's better, some days it's worse, but none of it is wasted because it all teaches you something about writing itself and your own personal process.  The more you learn about that, the more likely it is that your writing will get foxier.

The more time you spend reading other poets whose work you love, the more likely it is your work will get foxier as you pick up and modify some of the moves you notice them using, and make them your own.  You make your talent by writing and rewriting and getting to see where you've made your mistakes and learning what new things you want to try out.  It's a lifetime process, creating and sustaining and nurturing and helping your talent grow and change.

Many people put it aside, or bury it under alcohol or drugs, which can put it beyond reach.  But for the most part, it's a relationship with an important aspect of yourself.  How would you want to be treated by those who were going to cherish you if you were going to be happy writing for a lifetime?

It's not a bad idea to try and treat that part of yourself and that part of others as well very much like that.  

If you find you need a different sort of treatment, listen to what you have to say to yourself, and follow the best of those guidelines, as though you were taking care of a cherished friend.  It's not bad to treat other people like that as well.  If you're way off base, other people will let you know by showing you their discomfort.  If you're on the mark, both you and the folks around you will feel — not necessarily happy, mind you — but that you're doing well by yourself and well by others and that you're tackling the tasks you need to tackle to keep your writing and your life moving.

Is that an okay and useful answer for you?  Or am I simply being silly?

Best wishes, Bob Kaven

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Is it possible..?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary