navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » ADVICE FROM A RETIRED HUSBAND
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic ADVICE FROM A RETIRED HUSBAND Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Rex Allen McCoy
Member Elite
since 2000-01-30
Posts 2863
Sippin a Timmy's in London

0 posted 2009-05-19 03:02 AM

I couldn't help but laugh at this one
~~~~

It is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are oversensitive, and there's nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

My name is Paul. Let me relate how I handled the situation with my wife, Betty Jo. When I retired a few years ago, it became necessary for Betty Jo to get a full-time job, along with her part-time job, both for extra income and for the health benefits that we needed. Shortly after she started working, I noticed she was beginning to show her age. I usually get home from the golf club about the same time she gets home from work.

Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts dinner. I don't yell at her... Instead, I tell her to take her time and just wake me when she gets dinner on the table. I generally have lunch in the Men's Grill at the club, so eating out is not reasonable. I'm ready for some home-cooked grub when I hit that door. She used to do the dishes as soon as we finished eating. But now it's not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after dinner

I do what I can by diplomatically reminding her several times each evening that they won't clean themselves. I know she really appreciates this, as it does seem to motivate her to get them done before she goes to bed.

Another symptom of aging is complaining, I think.  For example, she will say that it is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during her lunch hour. But, Boys, we take 'em for better or worse, so I just smile and offer encouragement. I tell her to stretch it out over two, or even three days. That way, she won't have to rush so much I also remind her that missing lunch completely now and then wouldn't hurt her any (if you know what I mean). I like to think tact is one of my strong points.

When doing simple jobs, she seems to think she needs more rest periods. She had to take a break when she was only half-finished mowing the yard. I try not to make a scene. I'm a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me, too.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support Betty Jo. I'm not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, Guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging wife because of this article, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile. After all, we are put on this earth to help each other.

Signed, Paul

EDITOR'S NOTE:
Paul died suddenly on January 31 of a perforated rectum. The police report says he was found with a Calloway extra-long 50-inch Big Bertha Driver II golf club jammed up his rear end, with barely 5 inches of grip showing, and a sledge hammer laying nearby. His wife Betty Jo was arrested and charged with murder. The all-woman jury took only 10 minutes to find her Not Guilty, accepting her defense that Paul, somehow without looking, accidentally sat down on his golf club.

© Copyright 2009 Rex Allen McCoy - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2009-05-19 07:57 AM

sure love that ending!!!!

M

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2009-05-19 09:24 AM

Loved the story but I was constantly distracted by how CUTE you are Rex!! Sigh...

Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
3 posted 2009-05-19 09:37 AM

Well, that's a good reason to always look before you sit.
Rex Allen McCoy
Member Elite
since 2000-01-30
Posts 2863
Sippin a Timmy's in London
4 posted 2009-05-19 09:52 AM

It is a good ending ... yet I can't help but wonder if there could be any other good endings for "Paul"
----------
Now Ms deVine ... that's a point of view I haven't heard pointed in my direction in a while .... thankyou
----------

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2009-05-19 01:26 PM

REX!!! Are you kidding me? Hun...step into my parlour a minute..sit there on that red velvet love seat..now let me just tell you something. A man is as sexy as the twinkle in his eye..and sugar them eyes is TWINKLETIME hot!

(PDV fans herself with a file folder - being she's at work and all)

Ok...I need a cold shower now...

and btw - I think Paul should have gotten an iron too...upside the head!

crosscountry83
since 2009-07-30
Posts 345

6 posted 2009-08-04 10:33 PM

rofl!  I'm feeling really sad now, I just cried for about four hours, won't say why 'cause I'll cry again, but this actually made me laugh.

Rileigh

Yoinn
since 2007-08-16
Posts 649
Michigan
7 posted 2009-08-09 10:20 AM

LOL... yeah its always funny when Men are the object of abuse by women..just friggen hilarious. hahah....she killed him with a blunt object ho ho...great!

Yoin

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
8 posted 2009-08-09 10:55 PM

I am one that happens to think that is what golf clubs should be for having married 3 different golfers!  
There are two sides to a pancake, and I have to admit women have a hard time just simply stating what they want, then something wonderful like this will often happen. I never had that problem - hence 3!  Always ask now if men are golfers.  

Very, very funny.  I know a golfer here that may enjoy this, so will forward it along to our Balladeer.

I see you got that Poet deVine out of her cave to play, good for you!  

Mysteria

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
9 posted 2009-08-20 07:08 PM

Yoinn,

"Women, as they grow older, rely more and more on cosmetics. Men, as they grow older, rely more and more on a sense of humor."

George Jean Nathan

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » ADVICE FROM A RETIRED HUSBAND

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary