navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » What Readers Want
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic What Readers Want Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL

0 posted 2008-08-31 02:31 AM

I am curious.

When you read a poem, what are you looking for? something to relate to, something intellectually stimulating, something inspiring, etc. What do you look for in the poetry you read?

"...buried way beneath the sheets
I think she's having a meltdown..."
"Buckcherry"

© Copyright 2008 Jennifer - All Rights Reserved
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
1 posted 2008-08-31 03:06 AM

This is going to sound a bit simplistic; however...
All I want from a poem is to have it be enjoyable, and well written. Oh.. and not too long, to be honest.
I stop in here and read just to take a break from my day. I don't often post replies unless there is something that really inspires me, or something I find particularly enjoyable, yet I stop in for a short break from reality.
BTW... welcome back.

What would you attempt to do...if you knew you could not fail?. www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
2 posted 2008-08-31 03:38 AM

I look for a number of things.  Does the poetry move me emotionally?  Is it well written?  Has the person shown an effort in learning and improving their style?  I look at spelling and grammar.  Like Ringo, I like to poems that are not too long.  I do read the longer ones though, and even finish them if they hold my attention.  

People don't have to meet every criteria that I mentioned, but some are nice.

Sometimes, I see a poem that has no responses and I go to it and try to find something positive to say.  It's disheartening to many to put themselves on the line and think that they are ignored.  

We don't have to be false to offer constructive advice in a positive manner.  I have learned a lot here by reading responses to poems that are not mine.  And, I have learned a lot from the comments about my poetry.

Good question.  

A

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

3 posted 2008-08-31 03:42 PM

I look for an absence.

An absence of self indulgent, cliche ridden, abstract diary entry writing, to be more precise.

That's a good start anyway .

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
4 posted 2008-09-01 01:57 AM

I usually hope for at least three things:

1. Good language (Grammar, wordcraft)
2. Good Music (meter, rhyme)
3. Respect for Antiquity (traditions and earlier poetry)

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

5 posted 2008-09-02 10:29 PM

Something I can relate to, that makes clever use of language but isn't snobbishly written.  For example, I really liked "Bury me", by NormalitxButterfly.  By no means is it a towering classic poem (and I will be the first to admit that none of my writing is either so don't go accusing me of being arrogant ), but its content and its overall message hit me where I am now.

My university days have passed sufficiently now that I am no longer quite as impressed by high-brow language.  If you've got a good point to make then it should be heard by everyone, not only by a bunch of "qualified" people who know a certain esoteric language.

That said, I do like having to dig a little in a poem that has multi-layered meanings.

Life's short.  Think hard!
Me!

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
6 posted 2008-09-02 11:21 PM

I am a huge fan of anyone who can put images into my head.

I confess to writing some very long poetry, but don't care for reading it.

I can respect rhythm and rhyme, etc., but think its too tight. Not just anyone can do it and not allow it to limit their imagery. Occasionally I do find structured poetry that blows me away though.

I like cliches as far as subject matter, but only when the poet finds a new way to write about them.

"Buckcherry"

moonbeam
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2005-12-24
Posts 2356

7 posted 2008-09-03 04:00 PM

"I like cliches as far as subject matter, but only when the poet finds a new way to write about them."

But then temptress, surely they wouldn't be cliches?  

Life is a cliche in the sense that everything you do and are has been done before.  Finding new ways to describe life and its exploits is precisely what eliminating cliche in poetry is all about.

I agree with Fracta totally. There is a cabal or coterie of esoteric and principally academically inclined published poets who are incomprehensible except presumably to themselves.   Very naughty. Heh.

Woodsman
since 2008-09-03
Posts 25
Stony Creek, Va originally...Now Muskoka Ontario
8 posted 2008-09-03 04:29 PM

I never know what Im goin to enjoy untill I try it...so I cant say that I look for anything in particular...As long as its well writen and COHERENT it can be enjoyable...one of the main things with poetry is immagery...IMO anyway...so if I can picture what you are trying to convey, then more than likely I enjoyed it

"In Between" by Brian T Brewster now available on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
9 posted 2008-09-03 07:16 PM

moonbeam

think I love you! LOL Understood

"Buckcherry"

RC Langill
since 2008-03-09
Posts 104

10 posted 2008-09-24 03:24 AM

First all, short is good. I don't seem to have enough patience lately for longer works, and that's probably not a good comment on my quality of life these days.

But there are other, better reasons. With a short poem, it's easier to keep the whole thing in your head after you've read it, and continue to let the words ring after you've closed the book or left the computer. To point out some of the other reasons, this is one of my lasting favorites:
quote:

Eternity
He who binds to himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy
But he who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in eternity's sun rise

William Blake

I find much within these four lines. I treasure its insight and vision. They invalidate conventional thought. We all told we must try, try, bear down, and really want it if we are to succeed. But the joy, the very reward of doing what we desire is crushed when we clutch it fiercely.  

No matter what the discipline: poetry, sculpture, or painting, the works where the artist has been able to "kiss the joy" are the ones that endure. And there you have a second thing I prize in a poem, a memorable phrase or snippet that works both as words, and as a focus.

This poem is very regular and tight, flowing easily, right up to the end. But there,  "eternity's sun rise" breaks this regularity. The tone and infection of "sun rise" gives a different kick at the end. It pushes very close to falling apart, but it doesn't. This is a poem that works its form instead of simply complying to it.

When I read a poem, I don't do so with the expectation that it needs to be a masterpiece to be worthy of my attention. In reading poetry, I'm willing to kiss the joy and savor whatever I find.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2008-09-24 11:50 PM

I can't say that I'm looking for it, but what makes me remember a poem is the unexpected.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » What Readers Want

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary