navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » copyright?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic copyright? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Warrior Bristo
since 2007-07-28
Posts 96
Arizona

0 posted 2007-10-15 08:53 PM

My mom says that by posting here, some of my work could get stolen. is she right?

warrior undefeated

© Copyright 2007 Brenna Nicole Bohn - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2007-10-15 09:03 PM

I would be really surprised if anyone at PIP were to steal your work. On the other hand though, anything you post on the internet or otherwise make public is exposed to be stolen. You just have to decide for yourself whether the benefit is worth the risk.

Pete

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think - Niels Bohr

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
2 posted 2007-10-16 02:12 PM

I don't think so. As long as you keep your own work and keep it copyrighted I don't think it may be stolen.  For example, if someone in Japan copied a poem of yours here, translated it into Japanese, and then posted it at a Japanese site and made it out as his or her poem, you may never know about it, but you still nevertheless, possess and own your own poem.  It is by no means stolen out of your possession because someone wrongly uses a copy of it.  But the copyright I think helps protect and minimize your work from being abused in such a way, because it has the law on its side.  If that person gets caught doing that they may get into serious trouble.  But even if they don't get caught, you still have the ownership and authorship of your own work.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2007-10-16 03:19 PM

It is always a good thing to copyright your work yourself. Dating it at the end of a poem, (c) by Your Name, etc., are all good indications to others who might think they could pass this work off as their own are then seeing how serious you truly are about ownership of your poetry.  Also, in the poetry and prose forums, there is an automatic copyright placed there by the owner of this site for your protection as well.

In your profile area, it also wouldn't hurt to leave a notation that your work may be borrowed, once they contact you for permission, and give proper credit. Asking to see a printed product of how it is used is another good example of ownership.

We here at PiP take copyright very seriously. If you or your mother wish to see just how seriously, click on the search button above, type in copyright, leave all forums available, and you will see what we have had to deal with in the last few years.

And thanks...for listening to your mother, and for sharing her concern.

" It matters not this distance now  " Excerpt, Yesterday's Love
~*~
KRJ

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
4 posted 2007-10-16 06:03 PM

Actually, your mother is correct~
It can, and does happen, ... and far too frequently be honest about it~

Not just from this site, but anywhere on the Internet ... there are word-theives out there ... lowest of the low, in my opinion, but unfortunately the DO exist~

You have to be diligent in checking for your own words that may be posted elsewhere by others ... nip them in the bud quickly and demand that they remove YOUR COPYRIGHTED piece from their site~

Those of us who have been burned know that we simply have to use our own computer resource skills and search for our own words all over the Internet~

Hope it doesn't happen to you ... but, yes, it can, and does, happen~

Sincerely~
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -     noles1@totcon.com   

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
5 posted 2007-10-16 06:46 PM

quote:
Not just from this site, but anywhere on the Internet ...

More like, anywhere in the WORLD.

Whether you publish on the Internet, your local newspaper, a literary magazine, or your own hardcover book at Doubleday, your words will be used by someone somewhere without giving you the credit you deserve. The only sure way to prevent that is to hide them in a deep drawer (preferably one with a good lock).

Your copyright, however, remains safe. The only way to lose that is to specifically sign it away, usually to a publisher and hopefully for a few bucks.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » copyright?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary