navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » for what reason one shall get blocked by moderator ?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic for what reason one shall get blocked by moderator ? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California

0 posted 2007-06-06 12:25 PM

© Copyright 2007 Drauntz - All Rights Reserved
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
1 posted 2007-06-06 12:44 PM

I really find it annoying when a deletion is made without any notification, explanation, or possible room to discuss the matter either here or in e-mail regarding why such a deletion was done.  I think that is unbecoming behaviour on the administrator's/ moderators' part.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2007-06-06 01:10 PM

I know what you mean, Essorant. I find it equally annoying when someone breaks our guidelines without notifying me. It would sure save me a lot of time every day if they would have the courtesy to ask first. Then, instead of having to read every thread that doesn't interest me, I might have more time to participate in the ones that do.

As for discussion, we're always happy to talk about our Guidelines. If you don't understand any part of them, please feel free to ask questions.

Arguing about them after you've broken one, however, is a bit like trying to tell the traffic cop the speed limit really should be higher. I doubt he'll be very receptive. Our Guidelines -- like the speed limit -- are there for everyone to read any time they want. For most people, that's all the warning, notification, or explanation they should ever need. In blatant cases, it's likely the only one they'll get.

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
3 posted 2007-06-06 01:21 PM

"Then, instead of having to read every thread that doesn't interest me, I might have more time to participate in the ones that do."

Ron,
I thought that I come here to enjoyed the beauties in the Garden. I did not know that I came here to serve you. Sorry can't feed your self interest.

wish you well and thank you for the piptalk.
A very good place, indeed and I meet some great poets here.
I said that every one has a dictator in heart. thank you again.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
4 posted 2007-06-06 01:41 PM

Obviously a post/part of a post is considered wrong or against the Guidelines if it is deleted, but equally obviously it seems is that the member most likely didn't know and still may not know why or how it falls into the "wrong".  That's why a notification, explanation, or discussion I believe would be far greater than your "delete and run" approach.

Sometimes a wrong is obvious if it is a direct attack on someone, and sometimes it may be or seem obvious to you Ron, but I think most of the time it is not at all obvious to the poster.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
5 posted 2007-06-06 01:56 PM

Drauntz, you're not here to serve anyone or feed anyone's anything other than yourself and your own. This, of cource, still does not give you the right to set or break the rules, whatever they may be. Every civilized society has rules that typically restrain the behavior of its citizens. PIP is no different. Those willing to behave within those rules, called guidelines at PIP, usually find it to provide an enjoyable experience. Those who cannot accept such restraint are usually better of finding some other society with a different set of rules.

The question of whether there is or should be some public or private discussion is an entirely separate matter. I think Ron has adequately explained why this sometimes is not done. Sometimes it just requires more time than it deserves.

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
6 posted 2007-06-06 02:07 PM

nobody told me what rule i broke. If because I used the word "stupid" I can just delete it.
If it is because the topic, I can not help that it is not Ron's interest.

Ron is the owner
the king of the PIPtalk empire
If he blocks me,
I have to go before I made my voice clear.
but I need to keep my head on my shoulder
because it has many uses besides writing poem
democracy, democracy,democracy!
cheers!!! love you all!  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2007-06-06 02:22 PM

Oh man.

I went to sleep when I actually said I was gonna go to sleep...

Now I am like "Margine" from Big Love, running behind everyone else, asking "what happened?"

"Nobody tells me anything." *pout*

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
8 posted 2007-06-06 02:33 PM

My dear SB, it is all because of you. You brought up the topic which trapped me.

I wish you had a very good sleep last night. dear lady!!!

many hugs and kisses

I will not post my silly poems. but I will continue to read yours. They are beautiful. And there are many beautiful poems here. Mine is nothing. so, no need to post anyway.

***I was exiled by King Ron.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
9 posted 2007-06-06 02:43 PM

quote:
wow, somebody learned that freedom of speech is very hard, indeed if the listener does not like my words.

bye to all my great poets. I am blocked.

I deleted your off-topic post in the other thread, Drauntz, so as not to ruin a perfectly good conversation. I will, however, attempt to answer it here.

First, you need to learn what freedom of speech is before you try to claim it. Neither your girlfriend, your boss at work, nor these forums are part of the government. Tell your boss to shove it and there will likely be repercussions. Ignore our rules and, again, there will be repercussions. Your First Amendment protections don't extend into civilian life.

Second, you need to learn what blocked is before you attempt to claim it. If you were blocked, you couldn't post about it. Frankly, it sounds to me like you think you've been acting poorly and are being plagued by a guilty conscience?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2007-06-06 02:50 PM

Well, sweetie--there's the rub, now.

I don't know you well enough to know if you are kidding or not, 'cause um, I don't know you, or the subject well enough to set such a manipulative trap, so I hope you are kidding.

I didn't take any of it personally, m'self. In fact, your responses make the book all the more intriguing to me as I had to wonder what in the printed word could summon such passion.

I see you are still posting though--so I hope you aren't actually "exilted."

If you are not, just keep yer head down and keep posting the poetry. *shrug*

That's my priority here anyway. The discussion is fun, but not the reason why I joined Pip.

Hugs back atcha, and hugs to Ron, and wow.

*smile*

I promise you, I am not oblivious as a ruse. I really am slow yanno.

Sheesh!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2007-06-06 02:51 PM

oooops...sorry Ron.

Shoulda known you'd beat me there.

SLOW, yanno!

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
12 posted 2007-06-06 02:53 PM

King Ron, Your Honor,

Define "freedom of speech" ? whom I hurt with my words? I do not put my self interest first. I mainly want to give out more information about Ryn Rand and my own opinions. If this is not allowed.  fine with me.  I love many poets here dearly..I do not have to make myself love the owner..I thank you. that is all. think no that I have no knowledge of computer and internet.

And I am a woman.  

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
13 posted 2007-06-06 03:25 PM

I've had some of my comments deleted before, most of them deserved to be nixed and others not so much. I really don't see the big deal in a mod deleting a post. And it's not really about freedom of speech. Because you are allowed to say whatever you want on here; you're just not allowed to have it up very long. hahaha

quote:
I deleted your off-topic post in the other thread, Drauntz, so as not to ruin a perfectly good conversation.

I don't really see how going off-topic is grounds for deletion though. People got off topic in my old threads a lot and there weren't any deletions. Curious...

I admit that I'm not totally sure what's going on in this thread, I'm just throwing my four cents in.

“Suddenly a giant Cabbage Patch Doll jumps out from behind the shower curtain and grabs him violently.”

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
14 posted 2007-06-06 04:26 PM

quote:
Obviously a post/part of a post is considered wrong or against the Guidelines if it is deleted, but equally obviously it seems is that the member most likely didn't know and still may not know why or how it falls into the "wrong".  That's why a notification, explanation, or discussion I believe would be far greater than your "delete and run" approach.

Sometimes a wrong is obvious if it is a direct attack on someone, and sometimes it may be or seem obvious to you Ron, but I think most of the time it is not at all obvious to the poster.
I disagree, Ess - I think it's usually obvious to the poster. Most people know what they've done and seem to think that either a) they should get special treatment, or b) the rules just aren't important enough to pay attention to. I admit that there are cases where it's not wholly obvious... and those are the ones where we usually spend the most time discussing.

As for notifying an offender - we almost without exception notify a person when we remove a post. The only exceptions that come to mind are the repeat offenders who obviously have no interest in heeding the rules. Other than those, however, an email is always sent out when a post is moved or deleted.

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
15 posted 2007-06-06 05:25 PM

Dear SB, thank you for the post, Otherwise I have no idea who Ryn Rand was.

SB, I come here for poems and all other interesting topics. I am not easily offended because I listen what other is trying to say and I try to understand it. But to offended other without knowing? not the 20th time, my dear lady.

I was kidding on my "trapped". I never want to hurt you, a such kind lady.

I am confused. The good thing is everyone else  got entertained  and pleased by torture a innocent soul....of me.

love ya.

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
16 posted 2007-06-06 08:48 PM

what's funny is that even as a moderator, I've had comments pulled. Not too many, cause I try not to repeat mistakes but I'm human and sometimes type things I shouldn't.

And what Chris said about letting people know why we pulled something is dead on. We send a private email. It does not need to be discussed in the thread or an explanation given to all the other members.

For the ones I've had removed, I had a pretty good idea it would be gone, but thought I'd say it anyway, because it was how I felt and I meant it. That doesn't make it ok.

There are many different forums here and usually you can find one that will let you express yourself exactly as you wish. If not, then I'm guessing this isn't the place for you.

Ron is more than fair, much more so than I would be a lot of the time. I'm glad to be here, and glad to tell my brother that his 9 year old daughter would have a great time in here. BECAUSE of the rules Ron has in place.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
17 posted 2007-06-06 09:17 PM

Probably anybody who's been around for any length of time has had posts moderated - that's why there are moderators after all.  

Many of my postings have been deleted -- some with, some without notice -- and I don't think notice is really the issue.  Notice isn't 'owed' to anyone. The guidelines are the issue -- and how the moderators and administrators choose to interpret those guidelines.

If I ever decided to get my hands dirty and pull a duty shift as a deputy mod I might have a right to complain.

Some people have chosen to forego PIP because of the rules and post elswhere -- others post elswhere and here.

But anyway -- I chose my five minutes of net tolerance today to suggest to you Drautnz that there is no reason to feel you have to sever your PIP relationship.  

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
18 posted 2007-06-06 09:41 PM

Christopher,

I won't argue.  But I think every "case" deserves to be dealt with individually and communicatively instead of by a "delete, run, and silent treatment" approach.  

Personally, as long as it is not an outright insult or attack on a person, I think expostulation and amendment thro communication on the spot is the best way to deal with a bad manner, not deleting.  I think Not A Poet is a good example of a Moderator that usually leads that kind of approach, instead of putting his finger to the "delete" so quickly.  

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
19 posted 2007-06-06 09:47 PM

2 hours after my post this morning  I had problem to open the PIP page and each time I have to clean my cookie. My two computer worked the same way. SO I have to pick Ron. So I post this question and Ron quickly respond and in one of his reply he mentioned that I had been acting poorly. So I caught him. It was him who touched something. When i try to send an email to him it says that I have to log in while  I am at the status of IN.

I still do not know the problem.

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
20 posted 2007-06-06 10:27 PM

Drauntz, I've had this problem for a few months now. I was suspicious of the same thing you are. I got into a few heated arguments with the top brass and all of the sudden got this "problem." I had to learn patience really quick. Pips is the only website that takes three to four minutes to load, I have DSL. Another person on the site was having this same problem.

Honestly, I don't think Ron or any mod had anything to do with it. I can't explain why this page is the only one on the vast net that does it. All I know is that the page loads quickly when I'm not logged in but when I sign in, slow again. And I've tried it on several computers. Who knows? I don't really care though. But if someone is responsible for this "problem" I'd appreciate if it was corrected, I'm a good boy now. HAHAHA

“Suddenly a giant Cabbage Patch Doll jumps out from behind the shower curtain and grabs him violently.”

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
21 posted 2007-06-06 10:36 PM

Edward Grim,

are you sure? something is wrong if it is not Ron. But he took the chance to accuse me.

you are a smart guy. wish you write something good for the screen

you have to keep clean your cookies to make the speed and to able to post. and it seems no memory for my Icon.

strange.

Thank you.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
22 posted 2007-06-06 10:56 PM

Did the moderators slow down your computers to slow you down from making trouble?  

No, I don't believe so.  I bet Ron may be able to give you some advice about how to solve the problem.

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
23 posted 2007-06-06 10:58 PM

Yeah, but when I delete cookies, it signs me out. And obviously, I have to sign in to post anything so... I don't know. I've learned to deal with it anyways.

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
24 posted 2007-06-06 11:05 PM

quote:
Did the moderators slow down your computers to slow you down from making trouble?

Lol, yeah Ess. It's The Man tryin' to bring us down! haha. I say we throw a coup d'état! That means phone calls at three a.m. and an endless barrage of emails about our rights as pipsters. HAHAHA

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
25 posted 2007-06-07 07:15 AM

I'm not feelin' any love. I guess I just thought I was edgy and controversial. I've never been blocked or had any of my posts deleted, as far as I'm aware.

*sniff*

Oh well. I've lost my ability to be the most aggravating redhead in the joint.

Maybe....

That's because I grew the hell up!

no not really. Slap me love and at least delete "hell" for me?

I just realized that would be two hells. Now three.

jeez you moderators are my heroes.

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
26 posted 2007-06-07 11:13 AM

/pip/Forum17/HTML/000109.html

Start -> Run -> cmd
At the prompt, type 'tracert piptalk.com' (minus quotes).  That will show you how many hops there are from your computer to piptalk's servers.  For me, there's 13 hops.  You can also use 'ping piptalk.com' (minus quotes) to check for packet (information) loss between your computer and piptalk's servers.

Granted, the assumption here is you are running a Windows operating system.

Follow-up for the morbidly curious would be to then take the listed IP hops and enter them individually over at ARIN for their physical locations.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
27 posted 2007-06-07 12:35 PM

That's what I was trying to get across, Ess - with the exception of severe cases, a pull (delete) always follows a discussion. Having not been a moderator (you might consider trying for a Dep. Mod run to get a better perspective), you don't see the continuous conversations that go on behind the scenes. It might also surprise you to know that we rarely have unanimous concensus on what should be done on an individual issue; typically there are one or several people who are on the "losing" side of the fence, when a vote is tallied at the end.

I've been a moderator almost as long as I've been a member, and while I haven't agreed with many of the decisions that have been made (I can't even imagine how many issues that comprises!), I don't believe I've ever had a complaint with the process. Like Sea, I've had more than one post/reply pulled in my time... almsot all with what _I_ feel is good reason. I don't harbor any ill will. Some things fit, some don't... it's really nothing personal if something I want to write doesn't work for these forums - if I really wanted to, I could put it somewhere else... of course, you'll notice that I don't.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
28 posted 2007-06-07 01:13 PM

Christopher,

But how was that practiced in this case?  From what I understand no moderator came in and helped correct Drauntz.  It sounds like her post was just deleted without any communication, and she was left with a blank of uncertainty.  

aziza
Member Elite
since 2006-07-09
Posts 2995
Lumpy Oatmeal makes me Crazy!
29 posted 2007-06-07 02:07 PM

You know, I see several issues on this thread.  

First, we are responsible for our posts. If we choose to write in PiP - we know our thoughts are moderated.  It's a feature here that I, for one, appreciate.  We don't have the clutter of BS that has made me move from other forums.  

PiP is organized.  I have seen posts that have made me squirm a bit - and probably have posted a few myself.  I am sure that the moderators don't like all posts that are posted here - but I have only seen them be fair.

One thing I don't respect is others showing lack of respect.  Drauntz has a right to her questions.  First, I think she could have approached the situation in a less attacking manner.  It sounds like she jumped from A (Post removal) to Z (Accusations of being blocked from the site).  I wonder if she simply emailed Ron or any other Admin to deal with this situation?  Sometimes one on one communcation solves more problems that public outcry.

Also, I think her responses to Ron showed a great deal of disrespect to him.  His post to her was direct, but not attacking her personally.  Her remarks about him being "King" etc were uncalled for.  That type of writing solves nothing.  It only diminishes the one who writes the words.

I appreciate PiP.  I have not agreed with all Ron has written, but I don't have to.  The fact that he writes his thoughts do not elevate him above anyone - he might simply be more blunt than many.

This site is good.  I enjoy it - and I appreciate those who moderate it.  Without them, I would not be here.

Alison

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
30 posted 2007-06-07 02:20 PM

nobody delete my post
only to get into Pip is unacceptabelly slow
so it was Ron, I thought
to  have me blocked
but he said, not yet, not yet

I am in county library where 25 computers in computer room. speed is normal so far.

AZIZA, Ron could tell if I am joking or not. I respect him for his Piptalk which gives many people  chances to share poems...the rare beauty of life. I respect him!!!

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
31 posted 2007-06-07 02:55 PM

Alas, I apologize.  I thought you were talking about a removal of something you posted in the Philosophy forum.  So all this ado is about the speed of your computer when at Passions?
Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
32 posted 2007-06-07 03:41 PM

yes. as soon as I sign in, the speed of getting a page is slower than 286. I would rather think that this is man-intentionally- made-error.  not everybody is complaining about it, right?
Who knows.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
33 posted 2007-06-07 04:35 PM

I think something in my brain just popped.
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
34 posted 2007-06-07 04:51 PM

Is there blood coming out of my ears?!
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

35 posted 2007-06-07 05:08 PM

I agree. Something weird is going on.

I slept--AGAIN--ALL AFTERNOON!!!

*shrug*

I'll take it!!!

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
36 posted 2007-06-07 06:13 PM

The same thing happened when I use the computer in county library. Before I signed in, every thing was normal. After I signed in, and posted, things went slow..I mean very slow. then I changed to another computer, the same thing again. I tried to sign in with a new pen name, three hours later, no password was given through my email. The good thing is that  there are 4 public libraries around 5 miles and 100 computers are serving.

any moderators or Ron can give me saying? or or drauntz is drunk in someway?

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
37 posted 2007-06-07 07:10 PM

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
38 posted 2007-06-07 07:50 PM

Several variances of interruption can happen in various ways no matter where we are, Drauntz.  I've noticed, when I first joined almost eight years ago, that my computer would have problems connecting, and/or be very slow when I got to certain websites.

This particular website, as many do, gets hundreds of thousands of hits every day, some for brief moments, some which stay "on" all day.  From what I understand, you are not at a home computer, but a shared library computer.  While I am sure the library's computer system is set up for viruses and such, I note that you "clean your cookies" every time you sign off. That's probably a very safe procedure.  

If you were to have a home computer, however, this process would not necessarily be required, unless it was a shared computer.  You would not want a relative or friend clicking in to your information and posting under your name.

I learned a long time ago that when approached with such a problem, and not hearing immediately back from Ron, means that he is probably trying to determine what the problem could possibly be, because yes, he is, indeed, the Wizard.  But there have been a very few times when even he is stymied as to the possible cause of a problem, especially if we, as members, cannot give him the exact information he would need to know to accurately diagnosis our problems.

When there are problem posts, something that the moderators bring to the DM Forum for attention, you can be assured that we do not take any action without letting others know what was done.  Some actions are taken immediately, because of the very fact that what as posted could not be discerned in any other way but a direct disregard for the guidelines.  Other areas are, and can be, fuzzy in nature.  

For example, what might be appropriate in one country, let's say, England, in speech and dialog, may be interpreted in a vastly different way in America.  As was noted above, "private emails" are sent to and from moderators to members in an effort to determine whether or not some particular language is acceptable under the guidelines.  The PiP Moderators volunteer a great deal of time and effort over all and as a group, to make sure that we allow the member's post to stay.

Certain posts, and/or responses, which are totally out of line, are removed.  If it is a response, there is commonly a note by the moderator who removed a specific part, and sometimes, all of that particular response.  But rarely have they been removed without an email to the member.  The very rarest of times have been when the member does not heed the email, and a response is removed in whole, for the sake of the thread.

We leave it to our members, when they have misunderstood, misquoted, or responded in such a way as goes against the guidelines, to make peace between one another, and go on.  Sometimes that happens, and sometimes it doesn't.  However, another option, when you read a post that harbors a member's thoughts that one might not approve of, but do not break the guidelines, is to either read on, or click out.

As I stated, I've not read anything, anywhere, that your own membership has been blocked, stayed, or removed.  So, do trust that it could be with the fact that you have to renew your cookies every day, and/or the fact that the library system could be undergoing their own internal cookie problem.  

Now, write on!

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
39 posted 2007-06-07 11:33 PM

thank you so much Sunshine!!!
big hugs and hugs again.
It is such a comfort. I thought that I said something that Ron could not take so he tried to block me..because he was working in computer field and he is the owner. He has his right and I acknowledge his right.

Thank you so much. I will be  still dealing the slow speed but at least with a better mood.

thank you again for taking time to write to me.

love

have a very good night, dear lady

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
40 posted 2007-06-08 08:28 AM

quote:
I thought that I said something that Ron could not take so he tried to block me

You can be pretty sure that if Ron "tried to block" you would not be able to get in at all.

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
41 posted 2007-06-08 01:23 PM

Not A Poet, thank you.
I am not a poet either.
I love this site and I love all poets here. I respect every one, though we may share different opinions on certain topics.

Ron surly knows that he can block a computer but not a person.

Do please understand that i am so very frustrated with the slowness.

[This message has been edited by Drauntz (06-08-2007 03:46 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » for what reason one shall get blocked by moderator ?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary