navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Help, I need somebody, not just anybody.. YOU!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Help, I need somebody, not just anybody.. YOU! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Allysa
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 1999-11-09
Posts 1952
In an upside-down garden

0 posted 2007-05-24 01:44 PM

Regarding myself, a story about a baby, and an upcoming publication..

Long story short, I entered something I wrote into a contest at my University. A day later, someone from the University's litjournal called me, asking if they could pleaaaase publish it in their upcoming journal. I said sure. I mean, why not? I guess someone liked it, and that means something happens with it even if I don't win the contest. And the journal is pretty selective, so supposedly, it's an accomplishment.

Well, we're having a release party for the journal. So they asked for volunteers to read a selection of their work, to show off what is in the journal. And silly, silly me, I agreed to do it. Now, I have six minutes to fill with words, and I haven't the slightest idea where to begin.

For the purpose of this post, I put the piece up on passions: /main/forumdisplay.cgi?action=displayprivate&number=68&topic=000518

Any suggestions would be great.
I have no idea what I should read, what I shouldn't read, etc.

Thanks.

© Copyright 2007 Allysa - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2007-05-24 03:53 PM

First, Congratulations!

Second, contact whomever talked to you about giving the six minute presentation, and get their input on what should be read.  I would ask them what part of it grabbed their attention the most.

OR, do what is the most one of the most hardest things to do, and synopsize this short story.  Tighten it up.  I remember seeing the 90 minute play Wit compacted into a very tight 60 minute play for a National competition.  It won.

While I appreciated reading how the stairs felt, how the street looked, smoking of the cigarette, etc., perhaps you will need to focus on the human elements the most, in order to tighten it up.

OR...

second suggestion.  Read it half-way through.  Tell the audience they can then find the "rest of the story" in the university's Journal.  Perhaps that will entice those that hadn't yet purchased a copy to do just that.

And, Allysa?  I'm very proud of you!  Write on!

Allysa
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 1999-11-09
Posts 1952
In an upside-down garden
2 posted 2007-05-24 04:10 PM

Thanks.
I'm still wrestling with this..
I didn't even like this story when I turned it in. It's slowly growing on me.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2007-05-24 06:26 PM

Ah....

check your email...because it's incoming.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Help, I need somebody, not just anybody.. YOU!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary