navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » People March On Crime In New Orleans Today (posted for Serenity)
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic People March On Crime In New Orleans Today (posted for Serenity) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2007-01-11 07:24 PM

It's about time!  

Please!  Go and view the videos on the left of the screen  while they are still on this site as we didn't know how to save the two most important ones regarding the marches today in New Orleans.

They are:

1)  "Thousands came from all walks of life, linked by one common goal: stopping crime" (01/11)
January 11th, 2007
Stacia Willson and Lee Zurik report.

2) Marchers demand end to violence
January 11th, 2007
"A few thousand people marched across the city to city hall to protest the violence in the city and to demand action to stop it."

i-News - WWLTV.com New Orleans, LA

© Copyright 2007 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2007-01-11 07:52 PM

"Nobody told me there'd be days like these..."

There is a strange atmosphere in the city this week--strange, even for New Orleans. As we prepare for the huge play off game in the Superdome this Saturday, our joy is diminished by the pain of the recent rash of crime. I notice they only cite New Orleans murders in the stats too--I wonder what the numbers truly are when you calculate the highest murder rate in neighborhing Jefferson Parish in twenty years. I am very glad to see the citizens rally in indignation though. I'm very pleased to note that we finally found Mayor Ray Nagin. I'm delighted that Governor Blanco has decided to send in additional troups to assist during carnival season. Neighborhood watch groups are springing up as quickly and surprisingly as the sunflowers that bloomed in the debris last spring. People are talking about a different way. The clergy is talking about activities for teens, some of whom know no other way of life but drugs and crime.

I'm really happy about that. I know my house has been oddly quiet of late. Normally it is a haven for my kids' friends, but the pervasive fear has prompted parents to put their children on lockdown--sad victims of a system gone awry.

Public workers are being trained and prompted to look for suspicious activity. Every state and city worker from meter readers to ditch diggers is unofficially deputized, as they are instructed to report to their superiors anything remotely askew.

No official curfew has been placed, but the citizens of New Orleans have been forewarned that after two a.m., random drug and alcohol checks will be in place throughout the city, as well in neighborhing Jefferson Parish. And all of this is good.

But I know that while all of this is indeed very, very, good, none of this will work until every citizen takes on the personal responsibility to take back these streets, one house, one corner at a time.

I know it can be done.

Because we took this one back.

I said goodbye to a lot of old "friends"--because I no longer wanted to be part of the problem, and as long as I chose my associations carelessly, I was a contributor to crime.

And naw, I haven't grown angel wings folks.

But I did want you all to see that there are some very good people left here in New Orleans--I wanted you all to see that "the city that care forgot" has remembered to care.

Don't dismiss the lot of us because of the bad reputation of a few. And nod, watch and learn, because what is happening here, could soon be coming to neighborhood near you.

I'm proud of my people today. (And thank you Sharon, for helping with the link.)

OH.

and Geaux Saints.

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
2 posted 2007-01-11 09:12 PM

Thankyou for this Sharon.
Oh, Karen, my Karen, your poor, proud New Orleans. How much more must she suffer before she can truly sing again?
Yes, it can happen anywhere - crime and broken spirits. It is happening elsewhere....maybe not as drastically, but it is.  You and New Orleans are always in my prayers.  hugs, Chrislane

p.s.  Go Saints !!

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2007-01-14 01:13 AM

I saw the "Wrap Up" on the protest today on our news, thanks to the link, and saw people carrying signs asking for gun control.  We have that in Canada, and I feel it cuts crime considerably.  To be honest K, I had never even seen a real gun "in person" until s visit to Texas, and it truly scared me when I saw someone with one.  

I have no idea what I am trying to say here, except that a good step in ending violence is to take the toys away from the kids playing with them.

Take care, and hang in there, I know it is going to get better, it has to.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

4 posted 2007-01-16 06:41 AM

you people are Saints, and are to be commended and applauded for your courage to do what is right for the good of many...each and every city in America should look at this closely and learn that something is amiss in our country when your city is still struggling.  Here in the East Coast, be assured there are news reports of your cities still lingering atrocities...I just wish people would get together and continue to ask, why this is still happening to New Orleans?  And yes, it will and can happen to any city in America...

Serenity, thank you for taking a grave situation and looking for answers, instead of anger...you've been unbelievable through all of this...

My prayers and hugs sent your way.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » People March On Crime In New Orleans Today (posted for Serenity)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary