navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » BOO!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic BOO! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2007-01-05 07:51 PM

What scares you?

I wanna know.

What scares you in the movies, what scares you in your dreams, and what scares you in reality?

Come one, come all, and tell Dr. Serenity (now THAT oughtta scare ya) what frightens you?

© Copyright 2007 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2007-01-05 09:12 PM

Spam being declared illegal
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2007-01-05 09:27 PM

Until now, I have refrained from telling you this, lest you smell the barbecue...

but oooooooooookay---

a slice of spam, pepperoni, and a chunk of pineapple--shrug?

nod. Barbecue.

I swear it is thisclose to heaven.

Now c'mon...

I want SKEERY.

I'm trying to think of what scares me.

okay.

Number one most frightening thing:

Phones ringing, and bad, sad faces--

"It's for you."

That scares me.

Stuff crawling on me, when stuff shouldn't be crawling on me.

Dentists.

and Anesthesiologists. (I'm skittish.)

The Mailman. (He brings bad news.)

Wind--when it goes "train".

and any fast movement by any slow moving creature.

and the small print ingredients on cans of SPAM.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2007-01-05 10:06 PM

at ingredients of Spam.  

My own ineptness of sudden, stupid mistakes.  I can fire myself off a job in less then 10 seconds over something that to others is quite trivial.

Or not.  Still and all, I can send myself into a tizzy for not doing something right, and that scares me witless.

Outside of that?

when I dream, and think I am in control of the dream, and find out that I'm not in control of anything.  You can imagine, I'm sure....

Truthfully, I've gotten over my fear of certain things, but the only "phobia" I still have is of needles.  Over 50 years ago, a neighbor of ours tested positive for TB; back then it was common procedure to insert a very thin needle under ones skin on the inside of their forearm to leave "track marks" for testing of TB.  I am not sure what exactly transpired, but I know today that as a very young child, being tested in that procedure, and possibly something hurting, or scaring me, made me jump, and ergo, the needle broke off in my arm.

To this day, I cannot abide needles, unless I am in sole control of their wherewithal.  I have been fighting this fear for decades....

anyone have any ideas on how to get over it?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2007-01-05 10:12 PM

Smile.

I worked for TB control. I usedta wonder why these folks didn't just take their meds and get over it.

Then, just recently, I was prescribed Rifampin.

given m'druthers, I'd druther cough blood. But I am allergic to Rifampin. IF YOU HAVE TUBERCULOSIS--TAKE YER MEDS. <--my disclaimer

I seem to be allergic to EVERYTHING that is good for most.

I must be evil, eh?

smile..

and Kari? *laughing*

I give you a quote from my mother, on the discovery that I was pregnant:

"Well--you finally got a job you can't quit."

THAT scared me too.

Turns out I love it though.

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
5 posted 2007-01-05 10:51 PM

I have a strange fear of walking over iron grates or climbing iron staircases...fire escapes, even climbing the metal ladders on a childrens slide. What was I doing on a childrens slide you ask? Having fun.  

Since osteoporosis set in, I am more afraid of falling than I ever was. Soooo....what happens to Nightshade on New Years Eve day? Right...she FALLS! A real good trip, flip and splat on the cement. Directly in front of a busy restaurant! How embarrassing. I'm too old now to jump up and make the "I'm fine" smile, lightly brushing off my sleeve routine. No, I just laid there like a slug.

In my scarey dreams I am homeless and that is why I probably am so amazed at the bravery of those who have been left with nothing after....the storms. Yes, being in the streets without a place to call home and the whopper topper....a younger woman living in what was once my home and with my husband !! I have actually woke myself up crying from dreaming this.

There are more on my list....but ya'll are gonna think I am nuts! Good thread Karen my Karen.  

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
6 posted 2007-01-05 10:51 PM

In the movies?... not much...
generally, the people who scream and jump when
THEY get scared disturb me more than the movies do...

In my dreams?... again, not much...
with the exception of those increasingly rare
dreams where I am shot and bleeding to death
and wake up so completely drained that I can't
move and still feel like I'm dying...

In reality?...

rejection...
abandonment...
silence... (specifically, 'the silent treatment')
failure...

and yep...
phone calls in the middle of the night...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2007-01-05 11:37 PM

" have a strange fear of walking over iron grates"

Nod. I walk around 'em.  

and V?

This?

"generally, the people who scream and jump when
THEY get scared disturb me more than the movies do..."

doesn't scare me as much as annoys me.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2007-01-06 12:29 PM

Well since you asked...

Movies... Violence

Dreams... Violence

Reality... Violence

it's true.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
9 posted 2007-01-06 03:01 AM

Like I told you - only one thing - I don't think I could stand burying a child, or grandchild and live to tell about it.  

Otherwise I am not really scared of too much really.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
10 posted 2007-01-06 08:46 AM

Karilea, same thing with me about needles..I tense up if I look while getting one and they break then in my arm...so I tell them to not tell me when they are  doing it as i turn my head.
Actually  though, I am more scared about  being alone as I age.

M

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
11 posted 2007-01-06 01:27 PM

My biggest fear is losing my husband and best friend and being so helpless to do anything about it.
My second biggest fear is being forced into being a bag lady when I retire.
Those are the only things I think I'm scared of.
Movies don't scare me unless on a psychological level it could possibly be true but walking around the streets of downtown Portland at night scares me more than that.
Dreams only scare me if they are about death of loved ones.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

12 posted 2007-01-06 05:46 PM

Death.

Did I mention that dying terrifies me?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

13 posted 2007-01-06 05:47 PM

OH.

And life.

That's a big one too.

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
14 posted 2007-01-06 07:23 PM

Oooooooooooooh !!!! I just remembered another something that really terrifies me.... WOOD CHIPPERS .... not furry little animals, but that gawd awful machine like in the movie Fargo.

Honestly, I can't even watch when the city workers are throwing tree limbs into one.
Now I'm gonna have bad dreams!!!

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
15 posted 2007-01-06 10:11 PM

I am scared of forgetting.
vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
16 posted 2007-01-07 02:24 AM

I'm afraid of being forgotten...

and Karen?...

"doesn't scare me as much as annoys me."

exactly...

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
17 posted 2007-01-07 03:19 AM

serenity,
I flat lined once. Gotta say between my faith and my experience death doesn't scare me.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
18 posted 2007-01-08 02:19 AM

I have to agree with you Larry, having also been "there." One thing learned was that only those afraid to live are afraid of dying. Carpe' diem.

Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia
19 posted 2007-01-13 06:17 AM

big hairy spiders and snakes scare me senseless!!  oooh, I'm shuddering at the thought of them!! I think big black bears would scare me too if by chance I came across one!

RDB

Be kind at heart....for everyone you meet has their own battle to fight.........

ivordavies
since 2007-01-10
Posts 739
Chester, England
20 posted 2007-01-13 10:21 AM

The scariest of all to me
are things that others seldom see.
All contained within my mind
in nooks and crannies hard to find.

A hidden thought that's buried deep
to surface only when I sleep.
A fleeting glimpse of things to come
because of things that I have done.

The fear of fear, for fears own sake
the type that makes your senses shake.
The fear of failure... and success
for both of them can leave a mess.

But as a poet, what I dread
is finding that my muse is dead!

Have Fun,

Ivor

The moment created this second, is a  moment that's going to last.
It lives the full spectrum of time, the future, the present and past.

bekahlekah45
since 2006-03-14
Posts 533

21 posted 2007-01-13 03:06 PM

Alarm clock noises. the constant beeping.
its gives me an unidentified de ja vu(sp?) and makes me really blah.
yeah im weird.
I'm scared of knives.
im scared of the unknown

But, i do not fear death. i fear dying. but i dont fear death itself. does that make sense?
maybe not

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
22 posted 2007-01-13 11:03 PM

Hi Seren
What scares me?.....hmmm

Being without my kids and my mom.......is my biggest fear

other than that..

Haunted houses, looking in the mirror in the morning before coffee, and last but not least...my exhusbands psychoness.

Krishankins
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2002-06-23
Posts 972
Texas
23 posted 2007-01-16 10:09 PM

I am scared of letting the people in my life down that depend on me most.

I am scared of heights..tried to overcome them by skydiving but it only helped a little.

Scared of:

seeing my daughters start to date

all of the court costs when my daughters start to date

bugs on my face

my wife when she's angry at me

the day Coca-Cola is banned

and thats about it

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
24 posted 2007-01-18 01:48 PM

Karen- did you work at one of those places that pays patients to take their TB meds?

I know the side effects are not pretty... it's either Rifampin or one of the other ones... makes your sweat turn orange? I learned in pharmacology that you aren't supposed to wear nice clothes while on it (whichever med it is) because it ruins your clothes, sheets, etc.

I am still of the age that phone calls in the middle of the night are usually drunken friends:

"hey... hey, Amy? Where are you?"

"...home. In bed."

"Hey... you should come out to the bar!"

(in the background: "Amy! Hey, gimme the phone!")

New friend: "I miss you!"

And so on...

My fears:

Seeing a face in my window at night. I used to have a basement bedroom, and I would pass the backdoor on the landing, where my mom didn't have any curtains cavering it, and I would be terrified to go up or sown the stair late at night because I was scared of a face peering in at me... the fear follows me.

This one really sucks- I love roller coasters, but lately when on one, I'll sonetimes start thinking about what would ahppen if it flew off the tracks, or the harnesses let loose... that one follows me into my dreams sometimes. Kind of a killjoy.

Viruses scare me. Not any one in particular, but just their function in general... first of all scientists aregue about whether they are or are not alive- creepy in and of itself. Then, they get into your cells, and replicate, and use your own body as a virus factory... creepy. And you can't really kill them, either- even antiviral drugs just lessen their impact until it runs its course... or in the case of say, herpes, keeps the exacerbations lower.

The usuals:

Did I lock the door?
What if there's a fire?
What if my cat runs outside and gets hit by a car?
Oh God, my period's late!

Lol...

Good thread Karen.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

25 posted 2007-01-18 05:13 PM

Hush?

I worked for the state of Louisiana, DHHR, pharmacy services.

I had no idea at that time just how abrasive Rifampin was--then I was prescribed it later--and well, I have strange meds reactions anyhow, but this stuff?

Nod, turned EVERYTHING orange. Then, and shaking my head, here, 'cause here I go again embarrassing m'self on the internet, but all my soft fleshy places (the inside of my mouth, and yep, those other places too, blistered so badly it was like I was burnt.

But yep, "Pharmacy services, Miss Hood speaking, how may I help you?"

And at the same time, my sister, twist, worked upstairs for Food & Drug Control!

That's kinda scary in itself, in a giggly sorta way. We'd go out for drinks after work on Fridays (or Thursdays or Mondays or) but anyhoo, people seldom believed us when we told them where we worked.

In retrospect, I guess it is hard to believe. But I really did enjoy aspects of the job that some folks might find surprising. And nope, it wasn't 'cause my hand was in the cookie jar either.

I got a great deal of personal satisfaction working with a lovely and very dedicated pharmacist on the Handicapped Children's Program. (I was pretty militant and protective of those kids.) And because you work in the medical field, you would know that is where the "real" drugs were--but it never occurred to me to swipe drugs from a sick child. And I promise you, I may have been late a lot, but those kids always got their meds on time, if not early.

The rest of the stuff was birth control and TB. You know, basic Health Unit services.

All of this amuses me now, because part of my job was to perform the daily backup of the entire computer system for the state pharmacies. This was back in the days of DOS too--I only got computer confused with advent of Windows! Sheesh.

But yep, I'm about to ruin my own reputaton, because I'm scared of pretty much everything.

And OH.

I just found out that my daughter has an odd fear too.

Garden Gnomes.

Yep. Those cute (or tacky) little garden dwarves...the poor kid has nightmares about 'em. And it's not like she's a little kid either. She's fifteen!

My mini-me...grin

OH, and to answer your question, No. No one was ever offered money to take their meds then. I have no idea what's up with that now. But I can certainly understand needing some sort of incentive.

But I ramble.

and OH. I just thought of something else that scares me.

Rosie O'Donnell. It has nothing to do with her sexual preference either. I'm just afraid I might be turning into her.

(I'd much rather turn into Kathy Bates--she seems like she might be occasionally happy.)

Nightshade
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
26 posted 2007-01-19 10:17 AM

What's scarey about Rosie? I like her.
Hmmm.....her hair isn't the greatest...but that shouldn't scare you. Although, one time I dyed my hair sort of a greyish/greenish colour(no,not on purpose} and that really scared the bejeebers out of me. Dad said I looked cute, like a little squirrel, but the mirror told the truth.
  ummm....what was the question?

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
27 posted 2007-01-19 12:15 PM

I love Rosie, and love you too - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a snoring, over-opinionated, politically active, outspoken lesbian.  We have to give her a bit of a break, she too goes through the change of life.

Oh back to the question, well I am really starting to be afraid of the weater here, really!

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
28 posted 2007-01-19 01:09 PM

Too funny I said I was afraid of the weater, and it should obviously have been, weather.  If you add "wetter" to that list, you have all my phobias in one room actually.  This puppy is very scary I tell you - anyone got a big cork out there?

Between the wetter, the weather, and cabin fever, I think I am loosing my marbles, so exiting now.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

29 posted 2007-01-19 01:18 PM

what scares me?

hmmmm, spiders,
snakes,
when someone smiles at me, LOL, just kidding...
ahhh hemmm...
heights, get dizzy standing on the sofa changing the curtains...
Loud noise, including my own singing...
shopping
and women who live for shopping...
haunted houses
Brokeback Mountain
Food
Judge Judy...
Donald Trump's Hair
reality tv shows
X hubby
and
balancing my check book (break out in a cold sweat)

[This message has been edited by LeeJ (01-19-2007 05:13 PM).]

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
30 posted 2007-01-19 04:49 PM

Until I had a child, I feared nothing. Now, however, I get constant frights, what with him scaling counters like a cat, bouncing off numerous hard surfaces with his head, learning how to bypass the child safety locks (what a joke) to get at various harmful implements or the pharmaceuticals that we THOUGHT were safe, being tucked in an upper cabinet with a child lock and child proof caps...

As far as things I just out and out fear - there are none. Life will go as it goes and come what may, it's all part of the package. I just hope for continued good luck in avoiding serious mishaps on those I love... I can handle the pains, but would keep them from any i can...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

31 posted 2007-01-19 06:35 PM

smile...I think it was you, C, that I said the same exact thing to...

I wasn't afraid of anything until I had kids, but it took having kids for me to value life.

They do that.

Love ya bunches good daddy dude!

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
32 posted 2007-01-23 04:59 PM

Yeah, in certain communities with a high prevalence of TB, there are incentive probgrams where patients are paid to take their meds- since, as I'm sure you know, one missed dose (in the six, or nine, or however many months-long regiment) means it's time to start over at dose one... and for people who are symptomless carriers, (or sick people who just feel worse on the meds), they figure "why take it?"

Sick kids... nah, that's not where the good drugs are. Hospice is where the good drugs are... but I put stealing morphione from someone dying of cancer right up there on the "bad person" scale with stealing a sick kid's meds.

Incidentally, I know poeple who are scared of working on Hospice units because of all the poeple who've died there... I loved working on the Hospice floor... very quiet, and adequate staffing. I'm a firm believer that a dying person deserves an hour-long bath if they want it... or their pain meds and peace and quiet if they want that. In hospice, there's so much less "hold on, your needs must wait" because their need for comfort and companionship is the biggest, most important need...

Anyway, I digress. I fear being 95 years old and at death's door anyway, under the defibrillator paddles... or with a vent and a feeding tube.

wwzwlmd8
since 2006-09-23
Posts 96
San Diego,CA
33 posted 2007-01-23 08:14 PM

my room when it's dark.

Angel4aKing
since 2006-09-27
Posts 1372
USA
34 posted 2007-02-04 10:58 PM

Telling others my fears....

~~~kingsangel~~~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » BOO!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary