navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Work and Money
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Work and Money Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2006-09-02 09:32 PM

Would you still work at your job, if you had enough money that you didn't need to?

© Copyright 2006 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
seraphin
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1004
Michigan
1 posted 2006-09-03 12:31 PM

I suppose I would, being as I am still doing what I do. Loyalty and respect play a major role in my occupation(s). Money can't buy everything is an appropriate expression. This is a very good question!
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2006-09-03 02:54 AM

I'm a homemaker.

I don't do it for the money.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
3 posted 2006-09-03 10:21 AM

Interesting ... but I think I would~
My 'job' of keeping my grandie girlies pays more in the fringe benefits ... little hugs and kisses that are priceless~

Now ... perhaps my answer would be different if I was still in the maddening pace of the everyday work world~
Probably not !

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -       noles1@totcon.com       

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2006-09-03 10:45 AM

If I didn't have to work for a living [food, insurance, etc.] I think I would still volunteer in the legal field because I tend to think that it keeps me sharp.  I would also volunteer at the library in reading programs, and I would certainly feel more free to concentrate on my writing.  I'd probably also feel free to spend more time on my writing to an extreme I don't yet feel comfortable with, so would take on those challenges.  There are so many things that are out there to do...that if I had the money and didn't have to "work"... I would probably "rehire" into these many ventures and then some...

Thanks for letting me dream!

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (09-04-2006 08:19 PM).]

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
5 posted 2006-09-04 04:05 PM

Smiling at Karen...

I would... I just grew up with a strong work ethic, and I guess if I were fabulously rich, I'd volunteer somehwere... but I worked too hard to get through college to just not do anything with it. So I'd probably work, and save the money for my kids or give it to charity or something.

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
6 posted 2006-09-06 06:52 PM

Are you kidding....no, I would retire!  I would enjoy gardening, writing, reading, travel, get needed surgery and recouperate, sign up for art courses and paint or draw.  And....I'd probably do some volunteer work, maybe with animals.  *smile*
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

7 posted 2006-09-07 08:39 AM

nope, wouldn't keep the position I have now, would probably want to work as a travel guide.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
8 posted 2006-09-07 11:17 AM

I'm thinking of taking over the world and giving everyone enough money so that anyone that spends it reasonably shall not need to work for money ever again.  The problem to me is not necessarily working for money, but losing so much time by working for money, especially where very many don't like working at the job they do.  I am able to get money back in my life.  But I am never able to get time back.  

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
9 posted 2006-09-11 03:20 AM

Well, you can either work for money or have all the free time you want in a cardboard box... What's it gonna be?
Brian James
since 2005-06-26
Posts 147
Winnipeg
10 posted 2006-09-11 06:40 AM

Essorant,

I imagine with enough money you could solve any of the potential problems that might arise from unemployment, including any existential problems like "I'm not giving anything back to the world."  You could always pay someone else to do what you would have been doing, and kick back with a cocktail on a lawn chair watching them, or something, hey?

I obviously fantasize about being rich far too often.

"To me, the thing that art does for life is to clean it, to strip it to form."
~Robert Frost

hunnie_girl
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-06-18
Posts 2567
Canada
11 posted 2006-09-14 01:25 AM

of course i would still work even on days off i have nothing to do... imaginge a whole lifetime off:P but i would do what i've always wanted to even if it doens't pay as well... ok my mom raised me on work work work and i guess i'm all for it...
hunnie*

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your
heart.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
12 posted 2006-09-14 11:44 AM

i love my job - i look forward to going to work every (well, almost every) day.

that being said, there are a lot of incredibly fun things i could be doing with a ton of money... which i would likely do for a time, should a torrent of money breeze through my doors.

...then, after a while, start working again. i've found that not only is work rewarding in its own fashion, it also helps structure your life so that the days don't just all bleed one into another. i would, however, be working for myself in some fashion or another.

on the flip side, i too, like Ess, have plans of world domination. unlike her, i just want to make people do things the way i know they should be done... it's altruistic after a fashion; if they had any sense, they'd see that i know what's best anyway.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Work and Money

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary