navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » The Application and Practice of Skills
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Application and Practice of Skills Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2006-08-24 07:09 AM

Call it serendipitous, call it Karen-just-being-Karen, but after asking a friend here at Pip what he knew of Economics, come to find out, my daughter is taking a course in Free Enterprise/Economics. I'm lovin' it. (Good thing--'cause they ain't teachin' it. They just handed her a book and said study.)

I mean, the first list I encountered was a guideline to critical thinking, so I um, commandeered her book. (That's code for "looting" btw. ?)

But here I find me stumped, right off the git-go:

Practicing Your Skill

1.What factor--more than any other--should affect how and what you write? Why?

2. Why is it important to consider your audience for your writing?

3. What is involved in the editing of a first draft?

Hmmmm.

So I thought about it, and I realized there is a certain poetry to economics, and a certain economy to poetry...grin.

So here we go, I'll answer the three questions (four if you count "why?") but I'm curious now as to how the rest of you will respond as well.

My answers:

1. Inspiration--and I never know if that will be a visual, a phrase, a smell, a sound, or WHUT, I just know something nags in my head until I write it out. Why? I always thought I was just wired that way.

2. Um....well, and here's the tickle of the pickle, I never wrote for an audience until I wrote according to guidelines here at Pip. So can I add some continuum to the question to ask if others have felt an invisable editor in their head after writing for a family oriented forum? (No disrespect intended, I am just genuinely curious)

3. My answer here is either, "edit, edit, edit, or DELETE DELETE DELETE" and I realize this is a much different response than when I wrote in marble notebooks: back then, I would use a simple line, and sometimes, after reconsideration, would add that back into to text. That no longer happens with my veddy efficient Dell.

So...I'm ever curious.

Do tell.

How do you practice your skills?

© Copyright 2006 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
1 posted 2006-08-24 03:42 PM

I don't - haven't you noticed?     I do however sure enjoy watching you all do it.   Oh, and I actually took Economics, perhaps I should apply that to this and then I might get somewhere.  
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2006-08-24 07:24 PM

I'm not entirely sure if the questions pertain to economics, critical thinking, or writing?

quote:
1.What factor--more than any other--should affect how and what you write? Why?

Clarity. Not just for others, though that's paramount, but also for yourself. Without clarity, there can be no understanding.

quote:
2. Why is it important to consider your audience for your writing?

It's the difference between self-indulgence and communication. There's absolutely nothing wrong with self-indulgence, of course, but we shouldn't confuse it for what it isn't.

quote:
3. What is involved in the editing of a first draft?

See points #1 and #2.  

Oh, and by the way, those three questions have almost nothing to do with how I actually practice the craft of writing. Balance may be necessary to successfully ride a bike, but if you go out to practice your balance you'll inevitably miss a really great ride.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
3 posted 2006-08-24 08:23 PM

"1.What factor--more than any other--should affect how and what you write? Why?"

Good manners to keep writing in good shape.

"2. Why is it important to consider your audience for your writing?"

Good manners to show the audience respect.

"3. What is involved in the editing of a first draft?"

Good manners to improve it as much as may.

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
4 posted 2006-08-24 09:08 PM

I have to disagree with you there, Essorant. Good manners...what? Traditionally, it's not good manners to expose, and that's what writing's all about for me.

The factor that affects how and what I write is subject, much like inspiration.

It's important to consider the audience when writing, because that's who's reading it.

The editing of a first draft involves personal critisism-the ability to critisize yourself.

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

5 posted 2006-08-24 09:33 PM

What's that old saying? It's just like riding a bike, you never forget. Well, I learned last week that my balance is way off and I was just thinking the other day that maybe I need to practice my balancing skills. Now you got me thinking Ron, maybe not. Maybe I need to relax and go with the flow, become one with the bike like when I was a kid. But my bones break so much easier now than then. Well, if I can't get over this fear there's always the three-wheeler!

I can't write anymore either, Karen, so the above questions are sadly irrelevent for me. But I like the answers I've seen here so far.

XOx Uriah xOX
since 2006-02-11
Posts 1403
Virginia
6 posted 2006-08-24 11:23 PM

I begin by telling myself... "I have skills"  "I have skills"   "I have skills".
Sometimes it works.
More often than not...I just go through my collection of pens and pencils that I keep in a large Yosemite Sam cup...one by one...until I find one that seems to have something to say.
::shrugs::    I get lucky.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
7 posted 2006-08-25 02:06 AM

"Traditionally, it's not good manners to expose, and that's what writing's all about for me."

What do you mean?  Methinks every writing includes exposing or expressing something.  But I don't think just exposing or expressing something in any way succeeds in being good writing.  It takes little skill to just pour a thought or feeling out.  But it takes great skill to gather it, clean it, weave it, wind it, embroider it, adorn it, enrich it; bring it forth with good and admirable manners.

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
8 posted 2006-08-25 03:33 AM

Interesting.

1)  The predominant factor for writing poetry for me....release.

2)  Why is it important to consider the audience?....I don't usually, sorry.

3)  What is involved in editing....reading it objectively.

I have to add that with the exception of a few poems I've concocted here, most have been the result of not concocting; just exploding -- what I call demiurgic diarrhea (sorry for the graphics)...lol.  

Also, I write for a living, but that kind of writing is very different so I'll address it separately.  

1)  Objectivity/factual content -- (what the audience is looking for is the most important factor in what I publish).

2)  It pays my wages.

3)  Three proofings, spell check, thersarus check, checking for redundancies and smooth reading, and then a final look over when it's all assembled before printing. (Oh, if I could only be that careful with my casual writing...giggles.)

I think the latter set of answers more effectively responds to the questions from an economic standpoint.  Please your audience.  Yep, that's what pays the bills.  I guess that would apply if you were writing poetry for a living; I just can't sell my soul (at least, that's how I look at it--soul speak) when it comes to poetry.  So...I guess I'm not a real writer when it comes to poetry. And Ser...you knew I was going to bite this bait, didn't you?  *winkies*...jojo

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
9 posted 2006-08-25 04:11 AM

Came back to add this from the about.com website from Mark Flanagan,
Your Guide to Literature: Contemporary.
entitled:  Grasping at the Indefinable.  

Quote:  There are as many definitions of poetry as there are poets. Wordsworth defined poetry as "the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings;" Emily Dickenson said, "If I read a book and it makes my body so cold no fire ever can warm me, I know that is poetry;" and Dylan Thomas defined poetry this way: "Poetry is what makes me laugh or cry or yawn, what makes my toenails twinkle, what makes me want to do this or that or nothing."

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
10 posted 2006-08-25 06:26 AM

I built a treehouse with my brother.  One time he fell out of it.  I thought it would kill him but some branches slowed him down.  He was just bruised.

We went to see Mount Rushmore.

I like the older Corvettes better.

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
11 posted 2006-08-25 09:35 AM

Essorant, you say all writing exposes and expresses. I think all good writing exposes and expresses, but the reason I disagree with your 'good manners'concept is because manners can be translated into behaving accordingly with society, and I think good writers don't always accord with what society expects.
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
12 posted 2006-08-25 11:45 AM

Show Krista this link to furhter confuse the issue. http://rison.k12.ar.us/mcelroy/identifying%20skills_.htm
You know me, I could have used "cause and effect" to answer all three questions.

Reb, c'mere and let me squeeze the stuffing outta ya.

I liked the old '57 T-Bird myself.  

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
13 posted 2006-08-25 09:47 PM

Thanks.  I wear boxer briefs but in the summertime sometimes it's just faster to grab a diet pepsi than make a glass of iced tea.
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
14 posted 2006-08-26 03:39 AM

Aside to Denise: Careful if you try a three wheeler. First time I tried I had to learn you lean entirely opposite than you would on a two wheeler. My son's friend, a fifteen year old at the time fell altogether. That was years ago but still holds true. Careful on the turns!.  

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

15 posted 2006-08-26 09:02 AM

Thanks for the warning, latearrival. I will certainly keep that in mind and be very careful. I think I'm going to give the two-wheeler another try or two before I give up.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

16 posted 2006-08-26 02:11 PM

Ya'll crack me up.

And it makes sense if you know us...

This was just from the intro of my daughter's text. I think the text assumed she had been taught critical thinking in writing before--and um, no she hasn't. I applied to poetry as well because I'm just like that.

Besides, I'm a girl ( ) and I have found through trial error that girls learn better when a subject is approached linguistically. For instance, the mathy stuff? I couldn't get it. I'm still learning, but I did better once I started thinking of numbers as a language, and even better when I came across a tutorial page that described the easier equations as balances. So um, yeah, we're doing a little better in algebra this year.

But I thought I'd add the twelve steps (nod, every where I go, there's 12 steps--sheesh)

Critical Thinking and The Study of Economics

1. Recognizing Point of View

2. Comparing and Contrasting

3. Analyzing

4. Assessing Consequences

5. Identifying Values

6. Hypothesyzing

7. Synthezying

8. Problem Solving

9. Evaluating

10. Making a stand

11. Studying Comtemporary Issues and Problems

12. Applying a Model

And yeah, there's was more, but I'm not typing all of that. But I thought this was a pretty good basis for argument, and I assume they would like students to use this criteria while reading the text, as well as when they are doing assignments.

But I do thank you all for your input, and please, do continue.

Ya'll are fun. (And Ron, any suggestions for teaching are appreciated too.)

XOx Uriah xOX
since 2006-02-11
Posts 1403
Virginia
17 posted 2006-08-26 06:35 PM

Critical Thinking and The Study of Economics

1. Recognizing Point of View

2. Comparing and Contrasting

3. Analyzing

4. Assessing Consequences

5. Identifying Values

6. Hypothesyzing

7. Synthezying

8. Problem Solving

9. Evaluating

10. Making a stand

11. Studying Comtemporary Issues and Problems

12. Applying a Model

Sheesh   ::cradles head::   If I applied ANY of this to writing...I would never write again.   LOL   As if it mattered   haha
/main/forumdisplay.cgi?action=displayarchive&number=94&topic=001075

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
18 posted 2006-08-26 11:58 PM

Complexity is the key to chaos.
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
19 posted 2006-08-27 02:48 AM

Serenity: the 12 steps apply to learning to ride a  three wheeler too LOL! Especially 2 3 4 8 and 12

Attatch seat to seat and hold your breath, remember to lean! Love ya and you are a worthy teacher. Your kids are lucky.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » The Application and Practice of Skills

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary