navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » 54 years from now - my new phone?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic 54 years from now - my new phone? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 2006-06-17 10:18 PM

I was just sitting here playing with my new LG:

Mobile phone (obviously)
Mobile web (piptalk doesn't look too good, Ron )
Plays songs
Digital camera
Digital video recorder & player
"Get it Now" for apps such as wallpaper, video, games, music, etc.
Can send audio, video and text messages.
Can email same.
I put a video of my boy digging in the dirt as my front wallpaper, one of him in his bath as the inside wallpaper.
I bought a 1 gig memory card ($70.00)
Calendar/reminder.
Customizable ring tones, hell, everything.

Then i thought back on my first mobile phone (circa 1993 or 1994) - the size of a Buick, could call and... well, I think that's about it. a little over ten years.

Then i thought of my wife's grandparents - both 86. I think of the things they have seen in their lives, the changes, the new innovations, the achievements, the wars, the strife... and I wonder - what will the world be like when I'm 86?

It's a humbling thought.

© Copyright 2006 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2006-06-17 10:45 PM

Well, when you are 86, the only thing from that phone that will still be worth holding onto will be those wallpapers.
I still remember when many people didn't even have a black and white TV. And my first memory of a washing machine was an old Sears wringer style, watching as my sister stuck her hand in to the wringer to retrieve something, and had her hand bruised badly. And home phones were bulky black Bell jobs that were on pedestals or end tables, and only in the livingroom. ~sigh~
Enjoyed this musing moment.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
2 posted 2006-06-17 10:46 PM

The watch on your wrist has more computer power than existed in the entire world in 1950.

The computers that put men on the moon seem more like pocket calculators when compared to a common laptop PC today.

My first real job in the computer industry was on a IBM 1401 that had 8KB memory, 12KB if you gave up the index registers.

The first computer I owned had an 8 bit 4 MHz processor. I added a 64KB memory card to it for just over $1,000 and it was so hot you could bake bread inside the case.

Yes, things have changed.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » 54 years from now - my new phone?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary