navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Comments and Critique
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Comments and Critique Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN

0 posted 2006-06-04 06:54 PM

I'm new here (duh!), and there's been a few poems that I wanted to comment on, but not to say "great poem, well done". I'm wondering if this site isn't so much for honest critiques, as a place to showcase. I don't want to offend anybody by harping on about the faults of their writing if they don't want to hear it. I can see, that on some threads, the poet requests critique. Are these the only threads that I should feel free to critique? It's cool by me...silence is a powerful thing, it's just I think there's lots of poems on here that could be great if they were given more honesty.

© Copyright 2006 kif kif - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2006-06-04 08:06 PM

Those poets that allow for critiques are the ones you want to focus on.  Other people simply wish to share their talent, insight, and love of writing.  As time goes on, you will note now and then that those who use to not welcome or ask for critiques have changed their mind, so continue reading those that interest you.

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
2 posted 2006-06-05 08:51 AM

Thanks Sunshine. I don't want to offend anybody, but at the same time, I want to express myself honestly. It'll take a while to figure out who joins in on 'the workshop' vibe, but I'm sure I'll get there.
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2006-06-05 09:48 AM

Check Critical Analysis. Anything posted there is asking for critique regardless of the writer's check box status.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
4 posted 2006-06-05 12:16 PM

kifkif~
Many of us do not solict or give 'critique' ... I'm one of those that feels that I write with my own ink and don't really want someone to re-write my thoughts~
(Privately emailing to let me know of a typo is my exception to this statement)

Personally, I read for my own enjoyment and find so much poetic material here that fulfills that need~

Some write and solicit critiquing on all of their works ... some don't~

I don't feel offended by anyone who might not want critique, I just honor it~
I don't feel qualified to critique another's writing ... honestly, I don't~

If they haven't asked for it specifically, I would continue to read what you wish to read and either enjoy it the way it is, or dismiss it as not being to your liking~

It is perfectly acceptable to privately email someone and ask them if they'd like your critique~

I do simple 'backdoor proofing' for folks ... sending a private email to let them know if I find a typo ... rarely, unless privately asked, do I attempt to re-arrange their poetic thoughts~

Some folks LOVE to be critiqued ... others do not~

You'll find lots here that do~

Keep reading ... you'll find them~
The Critical Analysis Forum would welcome your input for sure !

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -       noles1@totcon.com     

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
5 posted 2006-06-06 02:46 AM

I'm with you all. However, I don't think I'm up to scratch myself on the critical analysis forum...I have no idea about spondees or trochees. Maybe this would be a good time to start learning, though!

I also agree with you, Marge, on the not rearranging people's work for them-I dislike that too. What I was meaning was "I like this,because... but the 2nd line is a dead metaphor, because...' yet I understand that in itself is critical, so I'll just have to hone my diplomatic skills.

Thanks for the tips.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

6 posted 2006-06-06 01:37 PM

for me personally, I'm not writing to write better, or asking for critique...I feel personally, some people like vanilla, some like choc and some really enjoy strawberry, so, it always amazes me, how people can critique books, movies, poems, etc....so many times in the past, I've stayed away from movies, due to reviews...later to rent them and couldn't help think, "What could they have been thinking".

For me personally, my poems are many things, including really not caring if anyone else likes them or not, you see, they are for me a growth process, they give me the ability to open up & speak out honestly, without getting hammered or attacked for my beliefs, my poems have helped me change, just by the verification of my feelings on paper, they are for me, who I am, my identity, a hype or perhaps better said, a way of talking to myself....

some have told me, my poetry is long, and I know it, they say, less is better, and I know that as well, but it's my voice, who I am...and to critique me I feel, would be hurtful after coming so far, through poetry...yanno?  

What I'm trying to explain is this, unless your in the forums that strickly ask for honest critique, if you do so on a constant basis, you might scare someone away, who is just coming out and starting to bud?  

Some poets, and I speak only for myself, are very sensitive, besides, I believe there is some very inspiring, talented poets in this site and find, it's just nice to sit down, kick off my shoes and stay awhile, listening and learning from them  

and so, I hope my comment has offered some enlightenment on your question...about critiques or comments...it is not written in stone, and I'm certain, not everyone feels like I feel on this topic.

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
7 posted 2006-06-06 02:10 PM

Yes, LeeJ, your comment's very helpful. We all learn in different ways, and our tastes are all different. It's good to know who's up for discussions about this fantastic art form, and who wants to only showcase. Also, I totally get what you're saying about putting people off-I certainly don't want to do that-I'm ok at spotting very sensitive people, and whatever I say to anyone here will be said with respect. I just think I learn a lot from getting right into something, yet at the same time, I can also learn from just looking, and soaking up the atmosphere. It's all good, but I think you'll all probably find me hanging out in the critique forum, as long as it's ok to talk about the subject matter there, too?
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
8 posted 2006-06-08 01:13 PM

I think respectful critique should be encouraged in all forums.  People are not denied the right to express critical opinions in the discussion forums, why not so then in the poetry forums?  
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2006-06-08 09:59 PM

I took some art course in college, and one required course was "Critique" and no, not Critique 101 or any numbers behind it, and the only requirement was that you had a body of work to present.

I had a lovely professor, and she required her students to stand next to the critic as they gave their opinions--so that we could see our own work from their literal point of view--how our charcoals and pastels looked from say, the far right, and in different lights--and yanno?

That helped me very much to establish the emotional distance from my own offerings necessary to both develop the "artistic eye" and the thicker skin needed, as she explained, to be able to perhaps one day stand with some dignity at a show of own, someday, and listen to the snide, sometimes downright mean commentary of the average wine-filled art afficiendo.

I myself welcome a critique. But I also have felt the bristling from some who say they encourage it and then don't like what is offered by my opinion.

I have erred m'self in offering criticism--so I understand how easy it is to both take offense and be offended.

Here's some things I learned--

No matter how chummy this site may seem to be, should you offer your opinion, you need to be sure you are criticizing the work and not the author.

Offer specifics--the lines you feel that are astray, and, I think it helpful to offer advice as to how you yourself would solve the problem.

And yes, as Marge pointed out, it's prolly rude to re-write those aspects for the author, so I think just offering another tactic would suffice.

The key here is constructive criticism.

Now pardon me while I go type that a thousand times, as I am only human-despite the rumors that I am Satan's woman-child. *snort*

And yanno? It IS really nicer by e mail. I've made wonderful friends that way myself.

Welcome to Pip, too.

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
10 posted 2006-06-09 02:25 AM

I agree, Essorant and Serenity Blaze. After all, the work is there for all to see-I'd like to know what people really think, and it's always good if people would like to know what I really think. I've read a few things in my time online that reminds me to go easy, though. This poetry malarky attracts all sorts, more than I know, and the chances of upsetting someone by talking about their poetry is certainly there. It's not good enough to say "well, you posted it for all the world to see", because some people just don't get that...the 'chummy' atmosphere makes it easy to forget. That's why I think the critique forum's a good idea...and the fact that it's one of the slowest forums speaks volumes.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Comments and Critique

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary