navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Education: What a concept.
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Education: What a concept. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes

0 posted 2006-05-15 01:24 PM

Not enough "qualified" teachers

This story is coming on the heels of a lawsuit in California where the State of requiring students be able to pass a 10th grade English equivelency with 60%, and an 8th grade Math equivelency with 50%. Some people are saying the law is unfair to poor students and are challenging it in court.

Well, let's see... people are demanding that the government do more for the education system in this country, and scream at the Adminstration that they need to fix it. So, the Current President demanded that all people who teach the core subjects (math, English, etc) have a bachelor's degree in that subject, and that they be competant enough to teach it. Along comes the state governments and the teachers unions who do not comply. And the national Government gets the blame because tests scores are falling, and our youth are unable to compete.

When the State government steps up to the plate, and is requiring that Seniors know half of what a Sophomore student should know about math, and just over half of what that same sophomore should know about English, then the spit hits the spam, and the public screams that the students should not be subjected to such unfairness.

To make matters worse, the local school district is allowing students to use calculators to do simple math problems (ex: 2a+44= 100).

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do want fries with that, thank you.

"... the rest is silence"
from the song The Flesh Failures
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

© Copyright 2006 Bradly Stott - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2006-05-15 03:02 PM

It is a sad state that education is truly failing in this country, not just CA. There is no way we can continue to lead or even keep up if it doesn't get fixed pretty soon.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
2 posted 2006-05-15 10:31 PM

As long as a teacher proves well at the subject and at teaching it in the classroom, why should s/he need a degree?
The Shadow in Blue
since 2006-05-18
Posts 493
EL, Michigan
3 posted 2006-05-20 07:21 PM

I think that the overall public thinks that people who have been successful in College would be the most competent teachers. And when teenagers, for example, score badly on the ACT or SAT  parents and "The Public" want to blame everyone but themselves.Because this is really all about passing the ball to anyone who didn't do the wrong. If students don't do so hot in school it is mainly the parents fault for how they raised their child or rubbed off on them. And the whole issue on calculators for simple math problems i disagree with. It is not like we don't know how to do the problems,it's just that we want to get it done faster. Because if I couldn't use a calculator for round about and imperfect problems(ie:square root,etc.) then I'd be [edited for profanity - Ron] Of course that is just one person's view.

[This message has been edited by Ron (05-20-2006 09:26 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Education: What a concept.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary