navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Spam
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Spam Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Fisherman
since 2000-04-14
Posts 46

0 posted 2005-07-28 01:29 PM

The only location or time in my life I have ever used the name of Fisherman or any derivative thereof has been on isolated occasion here in Passions.

The last time I did, I thought it strange that within a few days of my posting using Fisherman as my login name, I received emails concerning fishing equipment, etc.

I thought it a odd coincidence.  I posted again under Fisherman and today I have two emails concerning fishing equipment.  I never get spam concerning fishing, being mainly relegated to enlarging certain portions of my anatomy.  I do not recall ever referring to myself online as shrimp or tiny however.

I guess the new fishing emails shows it is not a coincidence.  I wonder if Sunshine gets spam from suntan lotion companies?  

© Copyright 2005 Fisherman - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2005-07-28 01:48 PM

I'd recommend contacting Ron.  I hope you saved the emails or header info to better enable him to track down the reason.
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2005-07-28 03:34 PM

Back in the old days, when you first joined, it might have been possible for a program to "scrape" your email address off the forums. Any program that could read HTML could find email addresses embedded in our pages. For the past several years, however, that has been pretty much impossible. Click on the email icon in my post, for example, and you'll be taken to a form where you can send a message -- but at no time do you, or any scraping program, get to see my email address. The only way to get my address is to send me a message and hope I'll respond to it from that address. That's also, of course, the only way for anyone from here to get yours.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Spam

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary