navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Movie Reviews? Whatca Seen Lately?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Movie Reviews? Whatca Seen Lately? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2005-07-22 03:41 AM

I think we can get a sort of Passions review going on current flicks this way, and I will start it by telling you:

I REALLY loved "Batman Begins".  Christian Bane was well cast as Batman.  The storyline is really great, and Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Cane are all impressive in their roles. I am afraid I was not as impressed with Tom's new girlfriend Katie Holmes though.  I liked the fact this film was more story line, and gave answers to Batman's fears we learned about in other flicks.  It was not all special effects, but what they did were well done.  It was a great entertaining flick for a change of pace. So, I give that one 4 stars

I thought that the Wedding Crashers was absolutely hilarious!  My cheeks are just now getting back into their regular position after seeing that show tonight.  Will Ferrell is absolutely nuts in this!  LOL, and give it 4.5 stars.

Think I can get a job doing this?  I sure would like to get paid to see movies.

© Copyright 2005 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2005-07-22 06:38 AM

I really enjoyed Batman Begins. It was the psychological theme of his beginnings that were most impressive to me.  Thank goodness there were a few "boy's toy's tricks" so that my male counterpart was also pleased with the film

There are several movies I want to see - but I've also started a reading regimen again as well. Rick Bragg.  Don't ask, just look him up, buy one or two of his books, sit back, and swelter in Southern Comfort!

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
2 posted 2005-07-22 04:28 PM

Sunshine-
I love his book (all over but the shoutin). However, I have not read the second one yet. I bought his audio on the first book he wrote. I commuted an hour each way and was able to listen all the way to work and home. I emailed him after that and he called me. A very very sweet man he is...

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2005-07-22 05:21 PM

Cloud - I watched him on one of the Book/Author programs about 2.4 weeks ago. I was smitten by his writing, his wonderful voice, his overall view of "as it is, as it was" and his marvelous use of telling it like it was.

Ava's Man is the book that he was speaking about, but he also made mention of All Over But the Shouting and I had a good feeling one didn't want to read the second book without delving into the first.  An easy read, you still want to reach for some iced tea or lemonade, or wonder at the coolness of that movie house that had the only AC in the surrounding neighborhood - you are brought back instantly to the fire-filled summers of the deep south, and the terrible unrest that swirled over their heads - for they were "as poor" if not poorer, at times, then their closest neighbors along those red, red roads...

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
4 posted 2005-07-22 06:03 PM

"An easy read, you still want to reach for some iced tea or lemonade, or wonder at the coolness of that movie house that had the only AC in the surrounding neighborhood - you are brought back instantly to the fire-filled summers of the deep south, and the terrible unrest that swirled over their heads - for they were "as poor" if not poorer, at times, then their closest neighbors along those red, red roads..."

Definately!! I have never been there but he worded it like I already was there. I am surely not a book reader by any means, but that book/audio was great.

I know I am getting off the path of what this thread was originally about, but I had to comment on Rick.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2005-07-22 10:17 PM

I seldom get to see movies in a theater, the seats and me cheeks argue too much, so I guess I can't play in this thread.

But I am very much enjoying my indie channels of late...Sundance and IFC, and even with the satellite I am years behind the times.

But I will whisper "Gummo"--though I caution it is a deliberately offensive movie.

Not to everyone's taste...

JesusChristPose
since 2005-06-21
Posts 777
Pittsburgh, Pa
6 posted 2005-07-23 01:22 AM

I recently watched again ~ Vanilla Sky.

This movie is slowly moving into my all-time top 10 favorite list. I do believe Tom Cruise has pissed off the Academy. If any actor deserved at least a nomination for a performance... where was Tom's for this movie?

Brilliantly written. Beautifully acted and filmed. Not to mention such an intriguing story line... I think I'll watch it again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Movie Reviews? Whatca Seen Lately?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary