navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Distracting my child...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Distracting my child... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow

0 posted 2005-07-21 04:20 PM

Well, I have insomnia during the summer for some reason, and I did NOT SLEEP all night last night..

I've been awake all day, too. Freyja and I are spending the weekend with my mother at her house, and my mom has to work, so Freyja and I are alone for 12 hours.

Anyway, I'm exhausted..Freyja is crawling, and that means I cannot sit down for very long if I allow her floor time...and if I stick her in the highchair she just HATES IT and cries. If I hold her she HATES IT and cries...

So I discovered that if I give her little pieces of bread whilst she is in the chair, she doesn't whine..she just snacks.

Is it wrong that I am distracting her?

© Copyright 2005 Meghan Armitage - All Rights Reserved
Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
1 posted 2005-07-21 04:31 PM

have you tried a play pen with a few of her favorite toys?

I dont think there is anything wrong with giving her a little snack so you can have some peace of mind so to speak....if it works why not?

have you tried the little swings? she might like that....

good luck, I do remember....

In your light I learn how to love
In your beauty how to make poems
You dance inside my chest where
no one sees you and that sight becomes this art

Kaoru
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
2 posted 2005-07-21 04:33 PM

Well, unfortunately, now that she can crawl she has lost all interest in her toys..

Swings are her enemy, it's not like when she was a newborn and she loved 'em.. gah, I wish they still worked.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
3 posted 2005-07-21 04:59 PM

Meg, you must do whatever it takes to get some sleep when she does!  There is no way to distract them for long once they get an appetite for mobility!!!

Also take her on walks and to whatever park is near by..

And...if this is possible..a room with nothing or close to nothing in it, except her toys and a gate in the doorway..she can crawl to contentment...

Have fun! Autumn is just now trying to crawl...

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 2005-07-21 08:36 PM

I think it's perfectly fine. I've only been a parent slightly longer than you have, but have held some pretty stout views on child-rearing for much longer.

One of the things I dislike watching the most is when parents restrict their child's actions to a large degree. I'd much rather give Aiden another option than to scold him for doing something that I'd rather he didn't. Half our time together on the weekend (which is when I get to spend the bulk of my time with him) is spent with me providing OPTIONS for him to distract himself with. Whether it be food or an unopened can of Mountain Dew (though, believe me, he REALLY prefers it to be opened!) or a new toy or tickling him or whatever, I find that not only are we BOTH happier, but he seems to learn quicker.

On the flip side, he more of a single-tracked mind than most adults I know and will remember that he wanted to get into something (his momma's makeup case for example) after I've already forgotten.

In summary, I think you're doing a perfectly acceptable and healthy thing - both for you and her. The only thing I'll add is to try and distract her with varied things, rather than just one thing - she'll be less likely to get bored with it and it will only aid in her development.

Oh - and a final thought - the lady who invented the Baby Einstein series should be nominated for sainthood. If you haven't set your daughter down to watch one of their videos, give it a try. I all but guarantee that you'll find her a devout (and much contented) convert immediately.

Kaoru
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
5 posted 2005-07-21 11:35 PM

Freyja is distracted by various television shows.. haha. I haven't tried Baby Einstein yet, but from you and many others I am hearing it's wonderful. She tends to not watch the baby shows, but the young adult shows like Teen Titans and Totally Spies.. I don't get it, either.

I've learned, also, that almost anything can be a toy. If I find she is curious about something and it's safe to show her, I will. She has a strong interest in plastic coke bottles and various jewelry. Most of the jewelry is not baby friendly.

I read FAR too much while I was pregnant, and I felt FAR too prepared. In some cases I knew exactly what to do, in others I am/was clueless.

Thanks, guys!

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
6 posted 2005-07-22 12:45 PM

LOL ohhh wait until you go out and buy that one little toy every child wants and all they wanna do is play with the box....

In your light I learn how to love
In your beauty how to make poems
You dance inside my chest where
no one sees you and that sight becomes this art

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
7 posted 2005-07-22 01:59 PM

That's what cheerios are for!!  
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2005-07-22 03:02 PM

My mother had two favorite tricks during high chair time.

One was a large ice cube.

The second was a large turkey feather and a little jam, jelly or honey on the baby's fingers...

of course, all of which must still be supervised.

DON'T give her canned goods to play with, however.  Little fingers can strip that paper off in a snap.  Then you'll be playing veggie roulette [and if you have a dog?  uhoh...]

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
9 posted 2005-07-22 04:35 PM

Mine is three now..

She also does not like swings and didn't get on one until this year. I tried over the three years and she hated it.

I have a 12 year old, and at the time of 10 and 11 she would watch the same shows as him (teen titans, brandy and mr.whiskers, etc)However, she did still watch rolie polie olie, Jo Jo circus and sesame street.

Get her one of those walker thingys. Mine used to stand in hers, play with all of the toys on the table and eat the cheerios I put for her.

big blocks? and/or big legos??

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
10 posted 2005-07-23 01:56 AM

Agreeing with Martie, use unsugared cheerios they are a Mother's saviour, and goldfish of course,but they are more expensive.

I used to give Tori a bunch of safe junk out of a drawer, (which I put at the bottom so she could get at it.)  It encouraged her to stand, and reach in at least.  That was our first mistake, for then they walk!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

11 posted 2005-07-23 03:20 AM

"almost anything can be a toy."

there ya go, lady.

You already know.

Give 'em boxes, pots, pans, and attention.

(Cheerios are way cool, too.)

(I had small people company today and I had forgotten how much I missed that...)

kids and toys? smiling wide...they are like,

"Wow--eyeballs!" and just might poke ya too, so be careful.

Kazoos. And BUBBLES!!!! YAY

and oh...BALLS. (More than one is twice the fun.)

and she might be too young for play-doh? but um...stiffen up some mash potato flakes, add food coloring, and let her create!

SING. And sing loud.

sigh...I miss it megs.

Distraction? *chuckle*

Just wear her out, lovie. Hop in a bubble bath with her and then? Take a nap WITH her.

(Hey...all this works on my husband too. )

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
12 posted 2005-07-23 08:55 AM

Timberlea became floor mobile less than a week ago.... I FEEL YOUR PAIN MEG lol

Aint had a moments rest since....

Geez, them chubby little legs can move fast

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
13 posted 2005-07-23 04:09 PM

aww man, you are just finding peace of mind for yourself, that's all - it makes you a better and well rested person.

Nothing wrong with gathering your own thoughts every now and then.

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
14 posted 2005-07-23 05:01 PM

And of course, playpens are necessities.  When the little tike is getting cranky and tired, just plop em in with a few chew toys and a bottle of water, and let em fuss themselves out.  And they will fuss.  They will raise a ruckus, kickin and screamin.  Just sit close by so they can see you, grin and bear it.  May sound cruel, but tired ones, unless absolutely exhausted (even then there's a battle), will scream and holler.  Let em.

Playpens double as aquiriums.  Just drop in Cheerios like fish food, and watch em nibble it up.

Made the mistake today (we're watching one under a year old) of sharing a wee sip of coffee.  His little mouth puckered up, his face puckered up, spit up a little and swallowed the rest.  Then wanted more.  You could just see his little pupils react to our oil-slick coffee caffiene.  Zounds!

T6 (Thomas J Williams, VI) has a slight case of the squirts, so he's been cranky all day from disrupted sleep.  His mom should be here in a few hours.  Then us grandparents can get some much needed rest ourselves.  After we sugar him up, of course.

Kaoru
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
15 posted 2005-07-23 05:05 PM

Lol, Seren, you make me giggle. Does your husband like sweet peas and creamed spinach, too?
You all have been very helpful, but I can't give her cheerios just yet, she has no teeth! She's got the chewing motion down, but being that I am paranoid, she only gets cheese, bread and anything else I feel she may not choke on. Every time I try something new, I run scenarios through my head, just so I know the worst case.

Motherhood.... makes ya crazy in the most lovey-dovey way!

hehe.

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
16 posted 2005-07-24 01:16 AM

Hey Meg....

I don't do Cheerios yet either, and because Timberlea has yet to get teeth as well, however I have found a wonderful alternative...

At the store you will find Gerber Finger Foods - Melts In Their Mouth, and they come in several flavors, look like little stars.

My little one has got her "pincher" grasp down to an art at 9 months old and can pick them up one at a time and feed herself.  They melt as soon as a little saliva hits them.... (I tested them ofcourse)

You can teach her, and keep her occupied, and feed her at the same time.

Hope this helps

Tima

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Distracting my child...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary