navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Music.?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Music.? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Goldenrose
Member Elite
since 2003-05-30
Posts 3665

0 posted 2005-06-09 06:13 AM

What music inspires all of the poets on these pages to write?...I mean do you play classical or Metal? Do you listen to whale sounds or birds singing? Let all the other poets here know what you listen to and maybe it will inspire others as it inspired you..also if you can provide places where it may be easily accessed so that others may buy/borrow it so much the better..i myself listen to a cornocopia of different music from rock music to classical..my favourites are the music of John Barry...and i also love the Tim Buckley album ''Happy Sad'' especially..''Buzzin Fly'' so upbeat and freeing...

Please share your sounds with all on this great poerty site...

May all have days of wonder and delight...

Goldenrose.

Desire for nothing except desirelessness,hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes, want nothing and you will have everything.avatar Meher Baba.

© Copyright 2005 P.D - All Rights Reserved
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

1 posted 2005-06-09 08:52 AM

I mostly listen to classical, baroque-early romantic. Great stuff.. I also like the old chants from the late Middle Ages.. the first motets, esc.. beautiful.

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
2 posted 2005-06-09 09:26 AM

I cannot really say that music alone inspires me, it may the buzzing of a lawnmower or the chirping of birds . . .
even though technically they ARE music too, how you look at it.  But it all depends on my mood I guess.  I listen to everything and accept everything at least once.  I like to think that reading has been my biggest inpsiration in writing.  

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
3 posted 2005-06-09 09:35 AM

My favorite (right now):
http://www.dashboardconfessional.com/

The sound for the week:
http://www.ryan-adams.com/

I go through phases with music.  These are where I am at right now.  
I listen to anything non-country.  
I love "underground" stuff....and could sit in a blues bar all night.  oh...and acoustic...hmmm...

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
4 posted 2005-06-14 12:02 PM

i try not to listen to music while writing for fear i'll unwittingly lift someone's line. what did bono say, every poet is a thief?

when it comes to music getting me into a particularly open state of mind i'll listen to something like Massive Attack's brilliant Mezzanine, Bjork's Homogenic or Laika's Silver Apple's Of The Moon. The rhythms clear my head and the vocals make me drift which is good for writing.

for fun, currently listening to the yardbiyrd's bbc sessions and a hendrix instrumental bootleg.

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
5 posted 2005-06-14 10:38 PM

I think music distracts me more than it inspires me.  Some of the more "musical" poetry I've read often touches me, like Milton's "L'Allegro" and "Il Penseroso," or the medieval ballads ("Patrick Spens" and "Barbara Allen" most of all).  I tend to imagine melodies in my head while listening to those.
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
6 posted 2005-06-15 02:19 PM

Basically anything.

Rock and roll is my main genre of invention, but power pop, bossanova, jazz, big bands, lounge, country, even Yiddish, gets me going.

Jefferson Airplane and power pop really infused my latest set "Emmanuel Endorphin's Serotonin Sundae"

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
7 posted 2005-06-16 08:28 AM

The last time I tried to write while listening TO music I ended up with this sociopathic write called Disorder . . . was System of a Down and Megadeath, I believe.
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
8 posted 2005-06-16 05:46 PM

The music I listen to actually depends on the mood I am in at the time. I listen to EVERY form of music at one point or another, and take them as they arrive.

Laterly, it seems that I am listening to a greater amount of old-school metal (Exodus, Old Metallica, Megadeth, Testament Anthrax, Maiden, etc) and some of the newer almost metal (Blind Guardian, etc) as well as my standard progressive (Queensryche, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Spocks Beard, Symphony X, etc). I think this is, in part due to the fact that we are in pre-production for our next CD, and as a metal band, it is what it is.

I'm drowning, choking
   Falling deeper into this
   Black hole we call living
...Fates Warning

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Music.?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary