navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Frost - on the Way to Read a Poem
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Frost - on the Way to Read a Poem Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough

0 posted 2005-05-04 08:17 PM

Excerpts taken from:

The Bedford Introduction To Literature
2nd Edition
Michael Meyer

Often, I adventure back to old books that I have piled on the shelf in my study.  Most of them have been purchased at the thrift store, or yard sales, or old library sales.  You can get some great deals, and I have thousands of books covering pretty much any subject one may want.  My children call it 'Mamas Library'.

Anyhoo... today I started thumbing through this particular book just to read some old hands at writing, and I came across a statement made by Robert Frost that I thought would do us all good to know, and remember.  As we all interpret poetry in many different ways, Frost gave his views on

quote:
The Way To Read A Poem - "Poetry and School," Atlantic Monthly, June 1951

"The way to read a poem in prose or verse is in the light of all the other poems ever written.  We may begin anywhere.  We duff into our first.  We read that imperfectly (thoroughness with it would be fatal), but the better to read the second.  We read the second the better the read the third, the third the better to read the fourth, the fourth the better to read the fifth, the fifth the better to read the first again, or the second if it so happens.  For poemsare not meant to be read in course any more than they are to be made a study of.  I once made a resolve never to put any book to any use it wasn't intended for by its author.  Improvement will not be a progression but a widening circulation.  Our instinct is to settle down like a revolving dog and make ourselves at home among the poems, completely at our ease as to how they should be taken.  The same people will be apt to take poems rights as know how to take a hint when there is one and not to take a hint when none is intended.  Theirs is the ultimate refinement."

While this is certainly HIS opinion, it makes a lot of sense to me.  I have read thousands of poems, and I have been a part of very lengthy discussions with others that have read the same poetry and walked away with totally the opposite of what I did.  Does that make what I observed wrong, or what they observed wrong?  No.  We all interpret things differently and in my opinion that is the most beautiful aspect of all writing, expecially poetry.

)))Hugs(((
Tima

Choose to live, and love and all the in betweens.  Dry your eyes, and shelter your heart and let the pendulum swing.

© Copyright 2005 Tima Chavis Cooke - All Rights Reserved
timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
1 posted 2005-05-04 08:27 PM

Well, I was wondering aimlessly through PIP and decided to read over the rules of the road again... and it says that I cannot post the words of another (even with their permission)  Man, I would have loved to have met Frost lol...

Anyway, if quoting him is not allowed, please let me know and I will kindly delete, I just thought it was interesting to see what the poet had to say about poetry.

Thanks,
Tima

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
2 posted 2005-05-04 08:47 PM

Hey, Tima...

Generally speaking, it is okay to post brief quotes/excerpts as long as proper credit is given... and if the source is online, then a link to where you found it is always best...

Had you quoted a large portion of the book, or a complete poem... something such as that... then, yes.. it would need to be deleted... but I THINK what you've done here is 'ok'... Perhaps an admin can correct me if I'm wrong...

but anyway...

The real issue, as I see it, is... how is this a 'challenge'?...  It sounds like something more suited to 'Philosophy' or if you're wanting more 'relaxed' discussion, then maybe just the Lounge...

Am I missing something here?...

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
3 posted 2005-05-04 08:50 PM

Well, most of the time I am wondering around in the dark looking for a match lol

You can move it, and to be honest, I just didnt know where to put it.  Philosophy tends to rip a subject to shreads sometimes, and I wasnt looking for a debate, just wanted to share this and maybe hear a few opinions.  Move it to where it is most suited and appropriate....

Gone to take that couch lay/lie now

Thanks Vicky

Tima

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
4 posted 2005-05-04 08:57 PM

Okay, Tima...

I'll move it to the lounge, since it won't get 'ripped apart' there...

and?...

I know another site where you could post this too... if you wanted to...

just a thought, though...is up to you...

Anyway...

Consider this moved...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Frost - on the Way to Read a Poem

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary