navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » eleventh hour sanities
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic eleventh hour sanities Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2005-04-12 04:29 AM

I finally slept, and I mean...slept.

I generally wake every hour, no matter the chemical influence. That's how it was last night too, or I should say yesterday morning. I tossed and turned, and wrote stuff in my mind as I hugged my pillows and a well-loved bear. I wished for pencils for some things I'd thought, and for others, that edit function in my mind only served to jolt me from the ease. Sometimes I try to trick myself, and I pretend that I am in my childhood bedroom, and I remember the walls of it, covered with my drawings of doves, surrounded by a stained glass technique I'd mastered with watercolor.

Sometimes then I can sleep.

Sometimes I spray my sheets with lavender, and other times I try to...ease myself. I don't do that often though, for more often than not, it only breeds further frustration. So I don't do that often anymore. My fingers, they make me cry now.

I think they oughtta be more.

I have scarves across my windows, and the streetlights play through them, and last night I left one window open, and the breeze of coming storms fluttered across my sheets. I felt sticky with humidity, but the surprise of breeze and smell of salt was enough, and besides, the leaves on the neighbors' trees fluttered like pages of books in the wind. When the wind graced me at all, it was nice...

I tend to write poems in these driftings, and sometimes ideas will wake me excited. But this morning I was weary from too many nights like this, and I felt gravity pinning my wings and I was splayed across the bed, a living solar cross.

That's when I heard her voice:

"Karen?"

I turned my head to the right, and felt my sinuses close with the shift.

"Karen!"

And I jolted, dreaming she was shaking me. I heard Cathy calling me, and I woke startled, late for school. Until I remembered...

Cathy's dead. And I'm alive. I'm forty-three years old and...hey? Did my kids get up for school? I squinted at the clock then froze--the phone was ringing.

Eight-thirty in the morning and the phone was ringing. No one calls me at that hour. Nobody but...well, she's dead.

I waited as the phone rang for the third time.

Surely it would stop.

I frowned and reached for my cigarettes, and grappled with the near empty pack for one of the hidden few. I lit my stogie and enjoyed the burn of morning lungs--some proof I was alive as the phone rang for the fifth time now.

Something could be wrong--again.

I bit the cig between my teeth and slapped my thighs alive. Then I hobbled a run for the phone, and every time it rang I thought it wouldn't ring again, but it fooled me every time and I managed to answer at the eleventh ring.

"Karen?"

"Yes?"

"Is this Karen?"

I didn't recognize the voice.

"Yes, yes, who is it?"

"Is this Karen?" A man's voice sounded confused.

"Yes, yes, it's me--who is this?"

"It's Uncle Ray."

Oh.

Wait.

Hey.

"Um..." I scratched my head confused.

"Is this my niece, Karen?"

I sighed.

"My name is Karen, but I don't have an Uncle Ray."

He laughed embarrassed, but I broke out in tears and frustration:

"It's not funny--you scared the hell out of me!"

That didn't stop him from laughing, but he did apologize.

"Go back to sleep," he said, and I thought I detected a hint of Spanish accent.

"Nothing is wrong but the number."

Dial tone.

I did go back to sleep, and I slept until three-thirty. My husband had gone to work on the evening shift by then, and my kids were home from school.

I woke to the sound of dogs barking and heard my daughter telling the-someone-at-the-door:

"Mom's still sleeping."

No. No I'm not.

And I yelled that out as proof.

So Ralph came in, and kept me company while I shook the fog from my lashes. I told him I had overslept, and he just said I should make some coffee too. I told him I would brush my teeth first, and he said

"good idea"

which almost made me blush.

So I gave him leave of a seat as I got myself together and my son told me, kind of wincingly:

"You slept a long, long time."

I apologized to him and said I hadn't intended that but he interrupted me to say:

"I made Dad check on you, before he went to work."

I nodded, a toothbrush in my mouth. (He had been following me around to talk.)

I was brushing my teeth mechanically in the mirror by then and heard my son add,

"I asked him to make sure you were alive."

I gagged with surprise and spat into the sink. I rinsed and turned to hug my son, but he was already gone.

Y'see? It happens just-like-that.

and I'm afraid to sleep...

We're better, I think. Until stuff like this happens. Then I realize, it's gonna take some time.

© Copyright 2005 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2005-04-12 05:35 AM

You need a hug and a "good talking to"...

M

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2005-04-12 05:55 AM

sigh...mo?

I was just telling vicky...

When I sleep? They fear I'm dead.
When I'm awake? They tell me I should sleep.
If I laugh? I'm in denial.
If I cry? I'm wallowing.

You think Alicat would forgive a "WTF"?

sigh.

I ain't nuts. I'm just trying to follow everybody's directions!

sheesh.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2005-04-12 06:06 AM

Actually...

you just need someone to LISTEN...

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

4 posted 2005-04-12 08:25 AM

I tossed and turned, and wrote stuff in my mind as I hugged my pillows and a well-loved bear. I wished for pencils for some things I'd thought, and for others, that edit function in my mind only served to jolt me from the ease. Sometimes I try to trick myself, and I pretend that I am in my childhood bedroom, and I remember the walls of it, covered with my drawings of doves, surrounded by a stained glass technique I'd mastered with watercolor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have scarves across my windows, and the streetlights play through them, and last night I left one window open, and the breeze of coming storms fluttered across my sheets. I felt sticky with humidity, but the surprise of breeze and smell of salt was enough, and besides, the leaves on the neighbors' trees fluttered like pages of books in the wind. When the wind graced me at all, it was nice...

I tend to write poems in these driftings, and sometimes ideas will wake me excited. But this morning I was weary from too many nights like this, and I felt gravity pinning my wings and I was splayed across the bed, a living solar cross.

========================================

I had to check the forum I was reading in...
me thinks it should be Prose.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2005-04-12 08:26 AM

This seems...timely.  I share with you, although you have probably already seen it...just know, if I could have said this myself, it is what would have come from my heart, to yours.

quote:
April 12, 2005
Winning At Life
Being Your Own Life Coach

No one knows you better than you know yourself. You know your strengths, weaknesses, needs, desires, dislikes, emotions, and physical abilities better than anyone else. You can map out your life better than any therapist, psychic, or guidance counselor. Those people may all be of assistance, but you are the best life coach for you.

To coach yourself in winning at life, be willing to put in the practice. Get involved in your life right now. Be engaged at work and play, even if you want to make changes. Practice being passionate about the mundane things in life, as well as the thrills, and you'll soon find yourself enthusiastic about everything. Map out a game plan for your life by taking the time to think about and realize what you really want. Meditate to clear you mind and open your heart. Write down goals, dreams, revelations that come to you. You may find you that along the way your needs and/or desires may change, but that's part of getting to know you. Focus on your immediate goals and make plans for what you need to do now that will get you where you want to be. Ask the hard questions and be honest with yourself. Recognize what you want to change about yourself to be a better person and do the work required whether it is exercising regularly, developing a spiritual practice, taking a class for career advancement, or being kinder to people.

Cheer yourself on. Let go of harsh criticisms and give yourself the praise and encouragement you desire and need to be a winner. Repeat affirmations daily if they are helpful, pat yourself on the back for a job well done, and console yourself when you're down. Never give up on yourself. When things look bleak, be your own best cheerleader and try to remain optimistic. Look at challenge as an adventure, take risks, and welcome change. Embrace those that come into your life to help you as your team mates and support them as well. Play hard at the game of life and enjoy it and you'll come out a winner.

I share, but these are the things you already do, m'dear. Some days, though, some fog may creep in, and you may forget that this is indeed not only what you do for yourself, but others, as well.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2005-04-12 08:26 AM

And what JM said, too.
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
7 posted 2005-04-12 11:16 AM

Touching screen....and
Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
8 posted 2005-04-12 02:30 PM

Ya know Karen, life is cruel at the best of times. Really. An eleven year old boy who lived just outside of our community had battled cancer - chemo - the whole deal, just absolutely loved hockey - couldn't wait to get back on his skates - which he did - and played hockey with a passion. Two weeks ago he and his father were driving home from a hockey game, hit broadside by another vehicle, and the boy was killed.
  What's with that?! It makes my heart ache.

My heart aches for you as well. I don't know what I would do without my sister Enchantress/Nancy Lee. We both realize that it could happen at anytime to either one of us. Afterall....our Mom was only 46 when she passed. I was 18 and concluded that I wouldn't make it till 40. Some years later my shrink told me, "Well ya better make the best of the next few years then if that's the way you feel."  lol.  He was right. I am gonna be 55 next week and have three grandsons! But....I still don't take anything for granted. Life goes by in a wink......even though it takes us years to actually see that.
  Grieve as you must - sleep when you can - celebrate your blessings daily. Love You. Chrislane

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
9 posted 2005-04-12 06:34 PM

as far as directions go..reminds me of the scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz..pointing in all directions...

going to get some much needed sleep myself...6 yr olds can surely wear me out...

hugs
M

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2005-04-12 07:32 PM

I think what with all the Cuervo, I thought I still had a journal going.

This can be moved anywhere it's deemed more appropriate. Just a weird day I wanted to write outta me.

Thanks all.

And lol@Maureen. Yes indeed six year olds can be very tiring. Especially should you marry one!

Michelle_loves_Mike
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania
11 posted 2005-04-12 09:24 PM

sanity.......didn't they invent a cure for that yet?
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » eleventh hour sanities

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary