navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » What's the first thing you remember?........
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic What's the first thing you remember?........ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michelle_loves_Mike
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2005-03-20 06:06 AM

I'm talking,,the very first , clear, memory you can muster up?

Mine? Funny you should ask,,(and I reckon it's only fair to share, since I brought the whole thing up to start with),,

Sitting in the front seat of my moms car,,(child saftey seat? What's that?),,,wailing a bluestreak, cause I dropped my (then #1 prized material posession) multi-colored key ring set. I was around 3.

Your turn.....

© Copyright 2005 Michelle Albright - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2005-03-20 07:14 AM

One of my clearest memories is being carried around by my dad in a very quiet house. I remember him always being there before I even needed to get his attention. Later, I found out why.

Let me know if you want to know.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
2 posted 2005-03-20 09:26 AM

I wanna know..!

Um... hard to say what the first memory was -- maybe sitting on my sister's lap.  Playing with the family dog.  Automobile accident in my Dad's car.  Going to church and wishing I wasn't there.. lol.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2005-03-20 10:15 AM

For Reb...

My mother was very ill prior to and after giving birth to me. She had incurred a gum disease and WAY back then, no oral surgery could be given when mothers were expecting. She had blood poisoning and I was given less than 10% chance of making it through delivery. Immediately after my birth, my mother had to have all of her teeth removed in order for the gum disease to be controverted, and antibiotics of the day be given.

When the oral surgery was performed immediately afterwards, they accidentally snipped a nerve to my mother's left ear; and they also snipped a nerve and she lost all sense of taste. [The dentist who performed the surgery later lost his life in a car accident. Mom and Dad never thought to sue over the "mistakes" of his surgery.]

Mom's hearing in her right ear became highly magnified. She was weak and unable to care for me for the first six months of my life. Dad had to unhook the phone, doorbell, etc., and walked around in socks. I distinctly remember very early on his always being there before I could make a sound - and the second memory I have is about age 23 months, when, after my mother regained her health and became pregnant with my brother, of Dad and I going to the hospital to see her and my baby brother.

I also distinctly remember how my mother appeared to me at that time, very pale and almost gray in color. Having babies was not an easy task for her.

From the time my brother came home, the memories are all quite clear. I was not quite yet two years of age.

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
4 posted 2005-03-20 10:29 AM

Maybe I was destined for the Marines, because my earliest memories involve the Marine Corps.
I remember a couple of things, nad since I don't remember which came first, they are (in no particular order):
1)Getting the other kids in the neighborhood and "drilling" them like my Daddy did (he was a drill instructor).
2)A bird at the shoe store off base that always used to ask "Where's Joe"
3)Being allowed to PT his recruits (I found out later that they were in the last couple of days of boot camp)
4)singing into a microphone for the first time for a few of my parent's friends.

These all happened with us stationed at Parris Island, SC so I would have been about 2 or 3

Sunshine... please explain!!!

In the wooden chair
Beside my window
I wear a face born in the falling rain

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
5 posted 2005-03-20 12:36 PM

My earliest recollection was when I was about 3 and caught a gypsy moth and I wanted to keep it. My grandmother got a jar and poked holes in the lid and put some twigs and stuff in it and put my moth in it. Then she talked me into letting it go because it was used to being free and what I was doing was basically sending it to its room without dinner. She said that since I didn't like that, why would a moth? I let it go.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
6 posted 2005-03-20 01:27 PM

PhChild just made me remember what quite possibly could be my first real memory. I must have been around five years old at my grandmother's house. Back then you would buy a roasting chicken which had to be "gutted" (yuck) and also have a few of the remaining quills from the feathers plucked out. Quite a terrible thing for a little city girl to witness now that I think about it. Anyway, while gutting this poor chicken, my grandmother pulled out a tiny egg, not quite fully with shell. The stage just before a shell I suppose.....geesh. She told me that this just might have been a baby chick. I asked if I could hold it. She nodded, but warned me to be very, very gentle and to stay in the kitchen with it. Ya right.....lol.
  When my grandmother was busy stuffing the now hollowed out carcass (double yuck), I left the kitchen with my tiny prize cupped lightly in my warm hands. I tiptoed into the livingroom and sat on the floor in front of the television to watch whatever might have been available to watch in that era. Probably the test pattern. Always mesmorizing...hee hee hee. I tried to keep the little egg warm and safe, really I did. Somehow though it got smooshed. On me....my clothes and the carpet. My goose was cooked! Ah, childhood memories......now they are "hatching" left and right. Thanks Michelle.  

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
7 posted 2005-03-20 01:27 PM

It was warm, dark, suddenly bright, and someone hit me.  

Seriously, mine are rather convoluted, and I'm no longer certain which early memories were truly mine, and which ones came from photos and family stories.  Earliest ones I'm for certain about come around age 3.5-4, when I gave my younger brother his first scar, then a few months later for the second scar in about the same spot: right eyebrow.  Of course, since he was 20 that scar, when he'd raise that one eyebrow, was rakish enough to make most bras unhook automatically.  Strange but true...well, mostly.

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

8 posted 2005-03-20 05:13 PM

I remember sitting in the back seat of an airplane beside my very pregant mom.  Grandpa is a pilot and it was his own plane - he and Grandma were up front.

I clearly remember how round my mom's stomach was and the seatbelt buckles - I was about 3

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

9 posted 2005-03-20 06:14 PM

There must be something about being 3!

My first memory is of laying on the floor watching American Bandstand on TV while I colored my fingernails with my crayons!

Michelle_loves_Mike
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania
10 posted 2005-03-20 06:36 PM

Wow gang,,,it does seem that the life of memories start around the age of three,,,,thank you all so much for sharing these memories with everyone,,,a little touch of the past to see where we started,,,to compare the yesterdays we can sometimes hardly remember,,,,

Michelle

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
11 posted 2005-03-20 08:08 PM

I am not kidding:

my grandmothers wake in my living room when I was two.  It used to be legal here then.
I was calling out her name and touching her face and she just lie there.  It is clear as anything I remember, even the velvet drapes that hung behind the casket.  I wasn't scared at all and it doesn't scare me now.

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
12 posted 2005-03-21 01:21 AM

I'm at the doctor's office. The carpet is blue-green with small pink flowers on it. My mom is leaned against the white desk counter looking at something or talking to someone, my sister is half sitting on a chair, my dad is to my right, and I'm in someone's arms, no clue who's. It's not much of an active scene, just a few photo-like images of them.  I don't recognize the people in the scene too well, but knowng them now I can tell who they are. I remember the carpet the most.

Not sure how old I was, but it must have been either 1 or 2. When I was 5 I told everyone I remembered the day I was born. No one believed me, of course, but I told them about the carpet and they said that's the same one that was in the waiting room of the hospital I was born in. I'd think I manufactured that with bits of information I collected later, but the hospital I was born in wasn't the same as the one I went to later on. I do find it hard to believe I remember the day of my birth, though... so I'm guessing it was some sort of a check up with the original doctor. It's a very clear memory, but, I on't know, I've always been a bit awkward with what/how much/and how soon I remembered things.

Good topic!

Always, Alyssa

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

13 posted 2005-03-21 01:37 AM

a sigh of exasperation...from everybody.

Including me.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
14 posted 2005-03-21 05:20 AM

Monroe, Louisiana, 1954.

I was on the floor, on my bare belly, with paper and stubby pencil, "practicing my numbers." Every few minutes, I would jump up and run into the kitchen, where multiple generations from multiple branches of the family were gathered, to ask someone to please tell me what numbers came next. Then, I'd run back to my paper to write them down.

I was writing down the latest answers to my insatiable question, all beginning with nine, when something "clicked" in my head and I realized that the number after 99 just HAD to begin with a ten. There was a pattern to this numbers stuff! I remember writing page after page after page of scribbled three-digit numbers after that, until my chubby little fingers were cramped and sore, waiting to see if the pattern would continue. When I wrote down 999 and again knew the next number just had to begin with a ten, I realized I would never again have to run to the kitchen.

It was my first Eureka moment, and I sometimes think I've spent the rest of my life pursuing more of the same. For me, there is no greater high than when something "clicks" and a great truth is revealed.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

15 posted 2005-03-21 05:57 AM

wow.

But um, mine was simpler.

I recognized the placement value of "zero".

(as gawd as my witness)

*chuckle*

and yes

it was a eureka moment.

I understood infinity, and that has vexed me ever since ...

Michelle_loves_Mike
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania
16 posted 2005-03-21 06:53 AM

It's good to hear that didn't scare you, littlewing, people are always so over sensitive as to how to smooth over death to a child....

Math,,,,a tot figures out the pattern,,and I'm still takin my shoes off to count past 11,,,sad....(smiles)

"a sigh of exasperation...from everybody.

Including me."  whats a matter? Least you seem to have the math thing in your corner kiddo,,,lol

I don't know if it's so far fetched to remember your birth,,,after all,,it has to be one of the most traumatic events in our lives,,it has to imprint somehow,,,being torn from the safety of your own room, that was complete with room service and do not disturb sign,,,into a noisy, bright, cold, people filled place, all getting poked, prodded, handled about and all,,,,I dig it...

I am loving all these great memories!!

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
17 posted 2005-03-21 07:47 AM

my memories stretch pretty far back,
not sure exactly how old i was, but my first clear memory comes from the crib. i shared a room with my two brothers but at some point i became a notorious crib climber. i didn't like being caged or detached from people so i'd often escape and crawl into someone's bed glad for the company and safe from the things going bump in the night

Foxyoasis
since 2003-06-10
Posts 974
Atlantic Beach,Fla
18 posted 2005-03-30 02:06 AM

hmm i remeber bits and pieaces here and there from my childhood

i do however rember the helicoper ride at the zoo when i was 3 years old and my dad buying me a pretezel that day.

i also have other random memeroies as a child usually i end up thinking about late at nite for some reason lol

Fool me once shame on you.....Fool me twice shame on me.....

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
19 posted 2005-03-30 10:29 AM

i remember waking up this morning... barely.

egowhores.com - really love yourself.

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
20 posted 2005-03-30 11:08 AM

My earliest memory is picking up slugs w/shell and me and my sister used to set them on the sidewalk and have them race. After we were done we would pour salt on them.

I also remember waiting at the kitchen window waiting for my sisters to come home from school.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
21 posted 2005-03-30 11:24 AM

"My earliest memory is picking up slugs w/shell and me and my sister used to set them on the sidewalk and have them race. After we were done we would pour salt on them."

that is so cruel lol like a caesar..entertain me and when you're done ill have you killed anyway

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
22 posted 2005-03-31 10:03 PM

My earliest memory is about 2-1/2.  It was summer time and my birthday is in November, so I know that's about right.  My memories are going to be older than any of yours I'll bet, as I am now 75 years old. My parents had a homestead in northern Alberta, at that time and our nearest neighbor was 1-1/2 miles away through the brush.  My dad had built a road to it, as it was my aunt and uncle's homestead. They had children and I had no one to play with. I begged and begged to be allowed to walk to my aunts and finally one day, my mother told me to go ahead.  I didn't even think about being scared until I had to go home and then it seemed an endless distance! I saw wolves in the brush beside me, but when I asked my dad whose dogs they were, he told me they were wolves and then I was really acared!  I got over it eventually and used to go to my aunts on a regular basis until we left when I was 5 years old.

Betty Lou Hebert

Michelle_loves_Mike
since 2003-12-20
Posts 1189
Pennsylvania
23 posted 2005-04-01 12:36 PM

Aenimal: For my crib climbing,,,,round age 3 and a half ish,,,I got a broken arm for my troubles,,, ,,,as if losing my keys wasnt bad enough.

Foxyoasis: The late nights seem to bring back the early memories,,,,,,

Christopher: That's more than I can say for myself today....

Cloud 9 : ALL HALE!!! Guess that was as good as ending up covered in butter and garlic on a plate....:S

Trillium: that is beyond awsum! I'd love to sit and listen to you tell stories.....mondo cool

Thanks again all! I love it!

JesusChristPose
since 2005-06-21
Posts 777
Pittsburgh, Pa
24 posted 2005-07-02 01:14 AM

Being baptized.
Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
25 posted 2005-07-07 09:26 AM

my earliest memory involves poop.

(I was 3 and it was naptime, only I was rebelling because I wanted to be potty trained so I took a dump in my diaper took it off and finger painted with it all over my walls in my room...) <---this part is not what i remembered just what i have been told.

My memory is being butt naked in the front yard covered in poop being sprayed down with the hose.

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
26 posted 2005-07-07 10:47 AM

I can't say which one was the earliest, but I rememberfour memories. All these my brother was an infant the last one he was on those bouncy things they hung on the doors.  The first I was brought to this large house where my great aunt lived and I followed my mother every where.  I remember when I left the room my aunt scowlled at me.  She never did like me.  

the secound was walking to the hospital seeing this old woman in a wheel chair. I went one her lapp.

The third one sitting around chistmass and getting this piono guitar thingy.  MY mother was bottle feeding my brother.  I screemed, but I don't recall talking, infact in that memeory they were like JUli, JUli how old are you and all I did was smiled.

THe forth was my mom letting me play with her antique dolls.
I think the one with the old lady in the wheel chair was my great grand mother.  All of these memories were between 2 and 3 and a half though.  If you have any questions ask.  

Juju - 1.) a magic charm or fetish 2.)Magic 3.)A taboo connected woth the use of magic

The dictionary never lies.... I am magical (;

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
27 posted 2005-07-07 12:42 PM

roflmao!!

Kellie that was funny, my nephew used to do that...uggg!!

Justbleu
Member Elite
since 1999-08-31
Posts 3329
Oregon, Originally From Alaska :)
28 posted 2005-07-09 12:27 PM

My first vacation out of Alaska....I was three.  With my parents and some of my aunts and uncles.

Bridgette

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » What's the first thing you remember?........

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary