navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Done for another year
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Done for another year Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas

0 posted 2005-02-01 06:00 PM

Yep, that's right.  Our copies for federal and state taxes got done last night, and this afternoon, after my SO's 2003 return turned up, I e-filed with Turbotax's online free e-filing.  And, naturally, their computations matched the ones I did last night. *chuckle*

Not bad for the first day of February.  Now we just have to wait for direct deposit to increase our checking accounts.

© Copyright 2005 Alastair Adamson - All Rights Reserved
Alicia
since 2002-03-22
Posts 279

1 posted 2005-02-01 06:30 PM

but wait ali,...you make it sound like so much fun.
or atleast nothing like the dreadful task that it is.
feb. 1? - you. are. good.

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2005-02-01 06:38 PM

Heh.  Don't I know it...ooo..mirror..um. Yeah.

My dad does this stuff for a living, being CPA and IRS certified and running his own tax prep business since 79.  And, one of those blowoff classes in High School did some good: MOCE, or Mathematics of Consumer Economics, which covered smart shopping, figuring sales tax, counting back change, and preparing tax returns.  I took another blow-off course like that in college, which dealt with mortgages, sinking-fund annuities, stocks, interest rates, savings accounts, and sundry real-life applications with formulas drawn from arithmetic through calculus and trigonometry.

And yeah, I love doing this stuff, just like I love cracking open computer cases and fiddling with the innards and building custom systems.  Only downside is that it's a rather expensive hobby.  As for tax returns, I've always filed at the earliest possible opportunity.  Funnest year was 2000.  Federal return, and 3 state returns since that was a rather adventurous year, living and working in 3 states which happened to have state income tax.

Savage Quiescence
since 2002-07-29
Posts 326
Wandering
3 posted 2005-02-01 08:20 PM

I wish one of those blowoff classes was offered at my high school. The closest thing we have is an accounting course which teaches you how to balance a checkbook. Something like that might actually be useful.. unlike my calculus class.. *snickers*

So says the English teacher,
Alicia

www.livejournal.com/users/alimakins

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 2005-02-01 08:23 PM

i paid someone to do mine.

i also appreciated my little deduction this year.

egowhores.com - really love yourself.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2005-02-02 06:48 AM

How IS that deduction growing, Christopher?

It seems we have the taxes done by mid-February [the last W-9 arriving just yesterday as it was mailed on the 31st] but some folks believe in waiting until the last minute [or a couple of days before] to mail in their returns.  We usually "owe" a small bit and heaven forbid we get it in early.  Of course its in the news and papers from now until 4/14 at 11:59:59 p.m. so how can one "forget"?

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
6 posted 2005-02-02 07:27 AM

A bunch of masochists you all are...

I've been taking the EZ way out for a couple of years.  This time it's full "itemized deductions" year after buying a new property.  Gotta love those huge mortgage/interest deductions the whacked-out real estate industry is now giving us...

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
7 posted 2005-02-02 09:12 AM

I was surprised at the inclusion of sales tax deductions.  I thought that was done away with back in the early 80's.  How I remember those times, massive manila envelopes stuffed to overflow with little paper receipts, culled for their precious sales tax.
Capricious
since 2002-09-14
Posts 89
California, USA
8 posted 2005-02-02 04:18 PM

I'm a deduction this year.

For the first time since I was a kid.

(which was ... um, a while ago)

Who'd have thought a tax return could be linked to your self esteem...?

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
9 posted 2005-02-02 04:31 PM

Heh...very true.  For our 2003 returns, had I known of it, or even though about it, I would've had my SO claim me as a non-related dependant member of the family, seeing how I was fairly messed up for 18 months, and all of 2003, from a nasty wrist injury.
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
10 posted 2005-02-11 09:05 AM

And the refunds are here!  "Oh joyous day, caloo-callay!" he chortled in his joy.' -- Lewis Carroll's 'The Jaberwocky'.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Done for another year

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary