navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » ah....no comment.
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic ah....no comment. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida

0 posted 2005-01-20 08:46 AM

Extreme Weather for Past Inaugurations

Most Dramatic and Tragic - 1841:  President William Henry Harrison was sworn into office on a cloudy, cold and blustery day. His speech lasted one hour and 40 minutes and he rode a  horse to and from the Capitol without a hat or overcoat. Pneumonia developed from a lingering cold he caught on that day and he died just one month later.

© Copyright 2005 Susan Caldwell - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2005-01-20 08:50 AM

Yep, dubious record to hold of the one of the shortest Presidencies.  Shame he had the bug already or caught it from another while there, since colds are caused by bacteria, not cold wet weather.

I'll admit my American History can be rather weak.  Was is James Garfield who had the shortest due to an assassin's bullet?

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2005-01-20 11:44 AM

Harrison.

Garfield served six months.

quote:
William Henry Harrison served as president only one month in 1841. March 4th, 1841, Inauguration Day, was cold and rainy. The 68 year old president, in an attempt to show his good health, did not wear an overcoat during the outdoor ceremony. He caught pneumonia and died on April 4th, 1841.

James Garfield served only six and a half months as president in 1881. On July 2, 1881, a disturbed Charles J. Guiteau shot President Garfield in the Potomac railroad station in Washington, D.C. The disgruntled Guiteau shot the President after being turned down for a job in the government. The fatally wounded President lingered 80 days before dying on September 19,1881.
http://helios.insnet.com/~tjl1886/FF.htm#timea

Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
3 posted 2005-01-20 10:06 PM

Learn something new every day - the whole slew of presidents between, oh, say John Adams and Abraham Lincoln are rather hazy to me - then there's that hole until Teddy "I carry a big stick" Roosevelt -

Thanks for the tid bits -

Susan

If I wander far enough, long enough, will I finally know . . .

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » ah....no comment.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary