navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Dream themes
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dream themes Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap

0 posted 2005-01-14 06:51 PM

Speaking of dreams ...

Anyone ever have a series of "themed" dreams?  Especially ones that don't seem to have any basis in your daily life - as in, they weren't inspired by some TV show you watched, book you read, etc?

Native Americans have been a reoccurring theme in my dreams of late (when I'm not dreaming about high school chums that is).  Don't really know where it came from, and it's not the same one/ones every time, or even the same situation (sometimes I am talking to one, sometimes I *am* one).  I like to think that persistent dreams have purpose, although I am lost as to just what this might mean to me.

Anyone else?

© Copyright 2005 Linda Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2005-01-14 07:00 PM

Yep.  Those that stick around in my memory long enough for me to write about em eventually get posted here. (shameless plug)

Since I usually discuss them, in part, with Serenity, you could prolly ask her for some examples.  Once themed dreams end, I generally forget them within the week unless they are particularly potent.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2005-01-15 02:44 PM

Absolutely!  I have to be honest too here, I had to "see someone" the first run of them to get them to stop as they were getting so horrific that they invaded my waking space.

Another time, someone here actually, advised me to tell someone else, (preferably someone I did't care for,) about the nightmares.  Her theory was that they would stop and transfer to that person.  Well, I told someone and the bad dreams left me.   What was scary though was that they actually started that person having nightmares too, coincidence?  So what do you say, "Sorry about that?" I kept very quiet about what I had planned and still feel badly about it.

I have them ALL the time, some good, some bad, but when they start, they are like a t.v. show, and I pick up where I left off the night before.  I have tried all the suggestions to stop them, so now I just "watch the show!"  After all, it's just a dream - we hope?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2005-01-15 06:57 PM

*chuckle*

It's true, Alicat and I have shared some "doozy" dreamtime stories--and although we rarely agree on interpretation, the conversation is always fine. (I think m'bro has Freudian leanings, while I definitely prefer a more spiritual, Jungian slant.)

While I do believe that many dreams are a simple daily back-up of data, I tend to think there are others that lend some subtle, often amusing insight to the more insistant annoyances that plague us over the course of time. Recurring dreams (or themes) seem to follow that course, as I have found in personal experience, it's as though my mind is saying "Y'just don't get it" and tends to replay the situation, sometimes with varying degrees of intensity and detail until the proverbial lightbulb goes off.

I don't tend to adhere to those drugstore dream dictionary's either, and yep, I'll bet I get at least one dream dictionary as a Christmas gift a year. I find them amusing but of little use to me in my deciphering.

I tend to believe (yes, Ali, as Jung did,) that we have a subconscious language all our own, and the dream interpretation is a personal thang, although having someone who knows you very well to listen as you recite just the particulars is very helpful. That should be someone who will tell you what they think is the truth as to the meaning (kinda like Alicat, laughing) no matter how embarrassed or ticked off you might become.

For dream study, I tend to recommend the old-fashioned journal, (mine's a marble notebook) in which you form your own dream dictionary, because the ideal or symbol of "native american" may have (well, does) have an entirely different imprint of meaning on me than it would on you. As would clowns, escalators, and old ladies wearing spandex. (Don't ask. )

And I'm sorry if I strayed off topic in your other thread, too. I'm not sure if my dream states of late (very cinematic) have anything to do with aging, but to concede one to the grand vizar of astute, our own brother Alicat, I can understand now how my repetitive dreams of angelic assassins could be repressed sexuality.

Smart ass. <--that was for Ali, Linda.  

The native american slant is pretty interesting though, as I seem to recall (I forget which tribe) that adhered to the belief that we are destined to repeat our dreams until we actually live them out.

Hmmm.

Let me know how things turn out, k?

Enjoyed the conversation.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Dream themes

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary