navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Is it possible to kill a poet?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Is it possible to kill a poet? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2004-11-06 04:02 PM

Ok...I'm the poet in the title so don't think I've gone 'postal' here. I wrote a couple of poems since I got back online after 6 months offline. And they stink! They reek! (Please no platitudes here - I am not so easily bruised that I can't see my work sucks sometimes!)

So I'm going to kill off the poet in me...and replace it with the prose writer. That's going to be my main focus now. Can I survive in this world without writing poetry? Can I give up something that's been such a part of me for so long? Should I change my name to Prose deVine? (Oh Lord that's stupid! LOL)

What do you think?

Compassion is the heart and integrity is the soul of excellence.

© Copyright 2004 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
1 posted 2004-11-06 04:11 PM

I've thought of giving up too, at times..but, it always comes back to you. I've written very little in the passed months, however, I seem to write a poem here and there.. Sometimes they suck, sometimes they're merely mediocre and sometimes they're good enough for me to save them.

My thought is, no, you won't be able to give up poetry completely because you're a poet. You know the saying, once a ______ always a ______. I believe that.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2004-11-06 04:45 PM

Your muse is having fun with you...there is no harm in giving your poet muse a break and breaking in your prose muse...

I don't believe the "poet" in anyone ever dies, unless someone else tries to kill it by condemnation of one's work...or if you, yourself, decide to strangle it.

But after five years, I think I know you a little bit, and I think you're just scratching the itch to write too much, it's become inflamed, and now it's irritated.  

Go to prose.  I'm enjoying that SO much...

But do remember to leave a candle lit, and a window cracked that your poet muse can return when s/he is ready...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2004-11-06 04:50 PM

Laughing...if you are anything like me at all, you will say no more poetry, and then suddenly write TWENTY.

I even rebel against myself.

HUGS and much luck

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
4 posted 2004-11-06 05:22 PM

"A good poet is someone who manages, in a lifetime of standing out in thunderstorms, to be struck by lightning five or six times; a dozen or two dozen times and he is great."  

Randall Jarrell

You don’t like getting wet, stay indoors.

“Poetry is essentially the soul’s search
for its release in language.”

Joseph Brodsky

And just how easy do you imagine that to be
with you and your ego getting in the way?

John

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2004-11-06 05:31 PM

How's about "Proset deVine"?...
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2004-11-06 05:33 PM

John? I confess you make me scratch my head.

I'm uncertain if you are deliberately taking jabs at people here, or perhaps you are simply socially inept.

I found myself offended for this gracious lady with this comment of yours:

"And just how easy do you imagine that to be
with you and your ego getting in the way?"

While I too, have often said, the hardest part about writing is getting myself out of the way, I'm wondering if you can see where your comment might be taken as not merely hurtful, but downright rude.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
7 posted 2004-11-06 06:09 PM

Thanks for joining in the quest....

As for John's comment? LOL

Please! I have no ego so I'm not in the least offended by that comment.

Isn't it possible for the well of inspiration to dry up? We are supposed to perfect our craft and get better as time goes by..but I see no improvement in my work. Only the same tone, the same voice year after year. If we were to take our names off our work, would we be instantly recognized because we have no versatility?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2004-11-06 06:33 PM

Well, I did understand John's comment, Shar.
(But you also know I grow fangs if I think someone is going to hurt your feelings.)

But as to the subject?

I get the most satisfaction out of writing poetry in those moments where I cease to exist. Conversely, since my prose tends to be autobiographically based (we KNOW it's all fiction, right? ) I find I have to live the moment to convey it properly.

And inbetween? I masochistically tear myself to shreds.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
9 posted 2004-11-06 06:53 PM

Ever taken a drink and almost choked as it "went down the wrong hole?" Hurts like hell for a few minutes.

Yet, I've never heard anyone suggest they should stop breathing beyond the heartbeat it takes to swallow. We need both. Not at the same time, of course, and not always in equal measure, but the complete cessation of one will, soon enough, result in the cessation of both. Only together, in suitable proportion, are we sustained.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2004-11-06 07:04 PM

sigh.

Ron? I'm sure that was clear to most, but could you give it another shot?

I'm not understanding.

And while we are on the subject of writing and process, do you know of a healthier way of self-improvement than this viscious cycle I have of just totally picking myself to pieces.

Serenity is tired these days. sigh.

'splain it to me one more time?

These days I don't seem to be "getting" it.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
11 posted 2004-11-06 07:51 PM

Hmmm....   I once knew a poet who looked alot like me.  I haven't seen him for quite some time, though.  I thought for awhile I had just lost my passion, but there are times I long to write now, miss it dearly even, but it just doesn't seem to flow in me anymore.

If you continue to write at all, you're a step ahead of me.  My only advice is, as always, write from the heart.

Michael

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
12 posted 2004-11-06 08:10 PM

Can't you just blame it on the new job or those damn hurricanes? LOL. Seriously? I enjoyed the heck out of your frosting write, and the flaming one you did a day or two ago. I've missed you, sounds like you're missing yourself too, or maybe your muse. And I also understand how you might feel you are stagnating, falling into a comfort zone that can trap you, not stimulate you to move forward.
I go back into the archives sometimes and don't recognize myself at all. sometimes, I don't WANT to recognize myself. LOL, does that make any sense? (It does to my other sister, Karen I think )
Prose is great, I've actually been thinking of spending more time on prose than poetry lately, as it lends to greater length and a freer form. Not to mention it sticks around on page one longer. LOL

Hope Michael finds his quill soon, as I recall, his work was ALWAYS worth reading.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
13 posted 2004-11-06 11:38 PM

serenity blaze,

‘“Poetry is essentially the soul’s search
for its release in language.”

Joseph Brodsky

And just how easy do you imagine that to be
with you and your ego getting in the way?”

Is a question that, in the context of Brodsky’s
comment, is directed at everyone trying to
be, through writing, a conduit or avenue,
(read Arnold’s “The Buried Life” where
Arnold touches on the same problem.)

The shortest path between two points
is a straight line, not a minuet.

Poet deVine,

What is wrong with the same voice?
The same good voice is how much less
than how many poor ones.

Pay attention to Randall Jarrell,
and think how many poems you
can name out of a given poet’s
entire life work that you could
honestly say were worth the
time and effort.  Then ask
is it worth yours.

Even if they’re five finger exercises
at least they keep you fit enough
when the chance comes to leap.

John

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
14 posted 2004-11-07 04:00 PM

Sure!  
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
15 posted 2004-11-07 08:06 PM

We all go through cycles of rain and drought.  Some, like me, either can't find adequate words to describe the mental images, or we just don't have much to say (for those of us who pen social poetry or similar).

When the paper craves the ink, writing will commence.  Until then, read read and read.

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

16 posted 2004-11-17 09:23 PM

I have no cure.
My only remedy is:
Write something every day.
Some of it will be garbage (speaking from my own experience), well, most of it for me, but you will have at least, something to throw away.
We can let you know if we think it is poetry?

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
17 posted 2004-11-19 09:43 PM

"read read and read"

Well said, Alicat  

Shelley
since 2000-01-27
Posts 263
Ohio, USA
18 posted 2004-11-21 11:31 PM

Hey!  You can have my "half dead" poet for awhile. He can scream in your head. You can have him. honest!! I'm sure you could make sense out of his ramblings. Actually, I almost e-mailed you for some advise on this matter.  (i'm laughing but it's all true)

Hmm... A world without the poetry of Poet diVine? I can't imagine nor do I want to.

And I'm learning a lot here!

write, write and write some more

[This message has been edited by Shelley (11-22-2004 02:44 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Is it possible to kill a poet?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary