navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Voting and Elections-Everyone's duty
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Voting and Elections-Everyone's duty Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

0 posted 2004-10-14 04:48 PM

My lovely absantee ballot is here, waiting to be mailed, and I just feel good that I'm having a say. I can't understand how people, particularly people  my age, say that they don't care about who's president, or who's governor.. I think that it's everyone's duty as citizens of America (or any other country, for your elections) to vote and decide the direction of the nation. Bush, Kerry, Nader, just have your say! On the other hand, these votes should be informed votes, not just going through the motions. I just wish that everyone could take an interest in what happens to their nation.

If you don't vote and you don't care now, don't whine in a year or two if you don't like what we're doing overseas, or how the job market is..  

Just my two cents!

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

© Copyright 2004 Erica N. - All Rights Reserved
Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
1 posted 2004-10-14 08:09 PM

Voting is a right that can be exercised, but with so few people exercising their right to vote should it be a guaranteed right at all?

Well I personally think that the right to vote should be either earned (through some sort of political awareness class for example) or should be lost (if you dont vote).

I can however see why so many young voters are apathetic. First of all we are not truly represented by our elected officials either demographically or politically. Very few parties represent the majority of the electorate (what I would call the people). Most political parties represent the minority (the wealthiest/most influential 10% of the electorate) or big business. Secondly political parties dont set out their agenda in language that the majority of the electorate can understand... I study history and politics and I have had trouble trying to understand if there is a discernable difference between the three major political parties in the UK other than rhetoric. Thirdly we are asked to choose either parties or candidates, we are not allowed to register our dissatisfaction with candidates, parties and political systems. Fourth and finally politics is so unimportant, the major political parties occupy the centre ground for the most part especially in the United States and England, how can you choose between two parties offering basically the same thing?

So yeah I agree that voting is a right but I alsoe believe that at the moment what we are voting for is the lesser of two evils and not a brighter future.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 2004-10-14 08:23 PM

quote:
Well I personally think that the right to vote should be either earned (through some sort of political awareness class for example) or should be lost (if you dont vote).
If you haven't, you might want to pick up Heinlein's "Starship Troopers." (If you've seen the movie and are thinking "yeah right," don't worry - worlds apart!) He has a society where the right to vote is earned... and even puts some pretty sound arguements behind why it should be that way.

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2004-10-14 08:31 PM

As it can be earned (citizenship for immigrants), so can it be lost (felons).  It's more than a Constitutional right, it's a priviledge, and like any priviledge, it can be granted or removed.

Any further comment regarding MY views would necessitate a move to the Alley.

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
4 posted 2004-10-15 08:41 AM

Yeah Christopher I've already picked up Starship Troopers and I was pretty convinced by the arguments that Heinlein put forward for earning citizenship. Not sure that military service necessarily equates to civic responsibility or that it is ample educational preparation for the right to vote, still its one solution to the problem of apathy.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2004-10-15 08:55 AM

'Zu,
quote:
I can however see why so many young voters are apathetic. First of all we are not truly represented by our elected officials either demographically or politically.

More than not, you are correct.  However, there are some YOUNG people who are running for government offices.  Our youngest Representative for our District started at the age of 22.  His two year seat is up, and he is running again.

Why?

Because he feels his job isn't finished.

I recently had the luxury of listening to this young man, and to the why of his fervor to make a difference.  As he comes from a particular neck of the woods of this state, he had an opportunity to listen to one of our elder statesmen, who made a crass statement that directly affected the region where this young man resides.

He took great umbrance at the insinuation that his part of the state was "dead", called his folks, and said, "my hat is in the ring!"

Oh, it's going to be fun to vote him back into office.  He's making differences...and he's changing lives for the better.

Sometimes, people of any age have to take things back into their own hands, and work WITH others to make a difference.  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2004-10-15 09:02 AM

Um, Ali?

Felons in Lousiana have the right to vote.

*ahem*

(How else could we elect governors? )

Drag me in the alley if y'like...chuckle, I know the drill.

to bro

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

7 posted 2004-10-15 11:44 AM

Ali, you can move this into the alley if you'd like. I'm glad to see so many people feel strongly about this!

I know it may not seem like the political topics affect young people, but they very much do. When I get my degree and start looking for a teaching job, the winner of this election will be president. That means a lot to me, and I want to have my say. Things like social secuity and medical topics may not affect us today, but you never know what can happen tomorrow! The war on terrorism, of course, affects people of all ages, especailly the young, since we are the ones who mainly go into battle! I think that very much is at stake for the lives of young people... so read up, look at your options, and vote...

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Marshalzu
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
8 posted 2004-10-15 12:21 PM

Could I trouble you for a name Sunshine, it seems to me that he would be perfect to talk about for a seminar I have in a few weeks time?
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2004-10-15 02:06 PM

Josh Svaty.
http://www.kslegislature.org/houseroster/h108.html

Don't let his appearance fool you.  He's made some physical changes to his appearance, like a clean shave and getting a haircut.

He recently spoke at the Kansas Legal Professionals Fall Seminar [hosted here in Salina a few weeks ago] and made a marked impression on all of our members.

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
10 posted 2004-10-15 02:37 PM

Smiling in the Sunshine..... you brought back a memory of my time as a news reporter in New Jersey...when I saw a seat on the district School Board won -- by one of their high school students..... He held his own as I recall, after a period of adjustment....

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
11 posted 2004-10-15 03:04 PM

Ed, you just watch - this young man is a healthy promise to our better futures!
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
12 posted 2004-10-15 03:15 PM

I've never understood what is so difficult, truly, about taking a half hour or so to vote once every four years at least.

I've heard a scientific statistic that if someone votes three election seasons in a row, then that person will keep voting the rest of ones life.

I believe a vote is a voice. It is representative of how you want our country to be, and who you want to run it.

Even in times like these, where I regret to say we don't have any mainstream candidates who represent all my political interests, you do have a choice. There is choice in this democracy. And the impression I get is when you don't take the time to choose, all that remains is silence in your head.

I just hope we wait and see that far more will take part this time around. I am confident that we can have a record turnout, I truly feel it in my blood.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come back home" MB20

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Voting and Elections-Everyone's duty

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary