navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Curious -- interested in other poet's perspectives
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Curious -- interested in other poet's perspectives Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal

0 posted 2004-07-31 11:24 AM

When I write, I oft times will step out of my shoes and try on anothers and write from their point of view.  In other words, it is not my experience or view point, but trying to see things from theirs.  I'm curious how many others do this?

Also, when doing this and posting it to the main forum, I sometimes hesitate because it is natural when reading a poet's work to associate the words of the poem with an experience of the poet themselves.  I know that a small piece of my own soul goes into every write, but sometimes when playing I write from a fictional standpoint -- that's the fiction writer in me.

When responding to some posts, I wonder, it feels as if it is the poet's own heart speaking, and I might comment as such, but what if, like me, they're merely trying on another's shoes?

I'm just curious what the other poet's perspectives are on this subject, and how many step outside themselves to write as if seeing from another's eyes.

Susan

Happiness isn't something that happens to you, it's created from within you.  Joy is a state of mind.

© Copyright 2004 s.a.t. - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2004-07-31 11:37 AM

All the time! For instance, thank you for your comment on my poem in Open. The poem was chock full of metaphor --I was never actually flogged by a Bishop in a clearing of the woods. (er.. at least I don't think so, anyhow)

and not to worry, I didn't take you for a back seat of a jeep kinda girl, either!

loved your poem too--

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2004-07-31 11:40 AM

What serenity said...

But because we do come to know the folks here to an "extent", sometimes it is easy to wonder "is it real or is it Memorex"...or something like that...

Therefore, you have several poets on the boards here who have taken on additional pseudonyms, not to "fool anyone", but to take on that "other mantle's persona" to see if they CAN stretch beyond even their wildest imagination...

and sometimes?  They succeed very well.

Then again, look at the "professional writers" in life, who have taken on various other names by which to see how they would succeed - or fail.  Two that come to mind are Richard Bach and Mark Twain...

and I am sure you will be deluged with many others before this thread is through...

and I come back with a P.S.

There are several times...quite often, as a matter of fact, that I look at one or two or more of PiP's writers, and wonder if they are really...that published writer...or this published writer...because what they do, they do so very, very well...

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
3 posted 2004-07-31 01:08 PM

Susan -- I think we all are empaths or something.  There is a unity that comes from seeing through the eyes of others, yes?  I know sometimes I am so affected by another's poem it actually sets the mood for something I write.  
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2004-07-31 01:16 PM

I wrote a poem titled "I am not my poetry".. because I wear many hats when I write. To me it's a way to write 'fictional' poetry..if there's fictional prose, then why not fictional poetry?
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

5 posted 2004-07-31 01:43 PM

(chuckling)
Wearing anothers skin is as easy as putting on ones own... if you can see beyond yourself even a little bit..

Fiction? Truth?

Come now, fiction is but someone's truth told in such a way that can explore the intricate ways everything connects without having to truly put yourself in a position to experience it....

Possible... and possible in my book means it is a truth to someone someplace..and at sometime...

how much of what I write expresses me and my experiences and how much doesn't..( shrugging) is I guess for others to judge, because no matter what I write or whose skin I might be wearing from a perspective.. there is always a part of us in it... or we couldn't add anything to the interpretation...

an interesting question.. and an interesting idea.. that the fear of people reading too much of you into the things you consider fiction is enough to make you not want to be misunderstood..

Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
6 posted 2004-07-31 02:56 PM

Ah, this is most encouraging.  I like the idea of writing with other names for the sake of trying different things.  And I agree that much of ourselves is put into our work, be it fiction or truth and that our fiction is someone elses truth.  I also think that by exploring view points from other's eyes increases our ability for understanding and compassion.  And sometimes the shoes we try on are shoes we would never wear, but there is a little part of us that wouldn't mind, in a way, giving them a try.

Thanks so much for the feed back.  It has helped me to feel a bit more free in being a shape shifter when writing.

Hugs to you all,

Susan

Happiness isn't something that happens to you, it's created from within you.  Joy is a state of mind.

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
7 posted 2004-08-01 12:57 PM

i write from my own perspective only. i guess i am too self-involved as a wannabe writer. having said that however, my musings represent only selective truth (even from my own perspective) since i am becoming to realise that you need to have a main thrust in your poem and filtering unnecessary details that doesn't contribute to the thrust is essential

also, my poetry often reads more melodramatic than i actually feel. i don't have an inkling of why that is actually, since i am the happy-go-lucky sort. so will take this opportunity to apologise to Pip readers who have wondered and worried (?)over the distress i may have expressed in my work...

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

8 posted 2004-08-05 05:53 PM

Sometimes I do, often I'm sorting out my own experiences with what I'm writing.

I'm thinking its a good excercise to write from another perspective - and that I should give it some practice.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Curious -- interested in other poet's perspectives

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary