navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Spider-Man 2
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Spider-Man 2 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space

0 posted 2004-07-02 10:32 PM

um..WOW

Growing up in my neighbourhood I harboured a secret. Behind the class clown, hellraiser and streetbrawler i was, well..a geek at heart. In the past couple of years two of my geekiest obsessions have come to life. The first being the realization of Lord of the Rings to film(you didn't admit to reading, much less reading Tolkien where I live) and my biggest obssession, Marvel comics.

I have stacks, neatly bagged and organized in their protective boxes(i'm not one of those crazed collectors, i actually read mine) and so the last few years have been an absolute treat with the brilliant adaptations of X-men and Spider-Man.

While i was hesitant about casting and certain changes to the myth, the Spider-Man franchise is incredible strong. If you haven't seen the second edition in theatres I strongly urge that you do. Don't think of it as a 'comic book' movie. The script is excellent and the attention to detail is an absolute treat. I'm still wired from it, I can't believe how well it turned out, so well that I can almost mask my disappointment in seeing Kirsten Dunst as MJ.

Ok i'm done raving, and while in geek mode I'm going to check up on those Cassini Saturn photographs before settling into something more 'manly' like free agent signings in the NHL. Then I'm going to push my comics a little further back in the closet so nobody sees them when they visit.

© Copyright 2004 raphael giuffrida - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2004-07-03 03:23 PM

Smiling achoo.

Geek, you say?

GEEK?

LMAO...

*ahem*

My husband has at least twenty fat binders full of collector cards--football, baseball, but let's not forget his beloved "Garbage Pail Kids" collection (a bubblegum phenomena of the seventies in the U.S.) as well as a discontinued set of Collector SERIAL KILLER cards.

He used to have a life-sized cut out rendering of whatzizzname from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

When we first met? He showed me his toys. (and it's NOT what yer thinking)

He had one of those machines that made rubber insects. (They used to make some fairly toxic and dangerous toys, huh?)

And oh YES--one of those electric football games--you know the kind--you put the little magnet players on the field and set the thing to vibrate.

Y'wanna know where he is NOW? There's a promotional contest for Nightmare On Elm St. going on here in New Orleans, and he went up there to tell the people his nightmares in hopes of them using it for the next movie.

I won't even mention the day I had to stop him from driving through a flood to get Evel Kneival's autograph. (That was recent, too.)

But oh.

I wasn't going to mention that.

(and they wonder why I drink...)

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
2 posted 2004-07-03 11:51 PM

Well, I didn't mention my hockey cards, the fact that when i met my favourite hockey player i stood like a speechless bufoon, the fact that I was in line at 12am for the first showing Star Wars(eew), the movie posters, and that i get upset when i miss Angel or Discovery channel specials..yeah..ahem. Going back to that broken bones thread, i tend to level things out. Jekyll n Hyde
Tequilia_Sunrise
since 2003-02-19
Posts 612
Lochalsh, Ontario, Canada
3 posted 2004-07-05 04:04 AM

lol meh doesnt mean your a geek, just intresting with an open mind
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
4 posted 2004-07-08 12:00 PM

well thanks but after the lack of responses i'm still feeling the geek factor lol

meh

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2004-07-08 12:21 PM

You are not a geek!  No Canadians are geeks, no way, eccentic maybe not a geek!  I am going to see it this weekend Raph.  Oh by the way, I have ahem, shall I say a "little" shoe fetish.  I actually kept some shoes in a trunk from the 50's, 60's, and 70's.  Platforms, one pair of thigh hight white go-go boots, and my favorites, the jellies.  Good thing too jelly shoes are back and I have them in every color!  Karen would kill to get her hands on some of my stuff in the other trunk, as I remember sending her a peace sign shirt, and it was sure sent to the right home.  So far she loves what I send, sad to be re-cycled in a way.  Guess I should be glad I lived long enough to get a second time around eh?

Comics:  I have a full set of Little Lulu, and may sell it soon on ebay for more shoes LOL.

Tequilia_Sunrise
since 2003-02-19
Posts 612
Lochalsh, Ontario, Canada
6 posted 2004-07-08 01:09 AM

hey i played Ever Quest for 3 years........  thats pretty geekish

but

"No Canadians are geeks"

lol you got that right!

oh yeah and "Garbage Pail Kids"  i loved the movie!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2004-07-08 03:18 AM

I like Geeks.

I may be the ultimate geek.

If geeks have "collections", then I MUST be the ultimate geek.

Y'see?

I've got a geek collection...

Hugs Raph.

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
8 posted 2004-07-08 09:35 AM

Just saw the movie a few days ago, and I loved it, about the same as the first one.  I love the fact that Bruce Campbell was in it.

Yes...must admit..I love the Evil dead and Army of Darkness!

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
9 posted 2004-07-08 11:31 PM

Yeah the Bruce Cambell scene was hilarious, how could one not l@ve evil dead army of darkness?
Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

10 posted 2004-07-21 09:26 PM

The good thing about geeks is that they dare to be different.     Or maybe they just hide their "little" collections in their closets.  
...I love the spiderman movie too...along with the Lord of the Rings that I've seen so many times...I don't actually know how many times I've seen it. I figure I can't be the only one who doesn't know how many times they've seen it.  

Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
11 posted 2004-07-22 01:45 AM

lol. I hid my poetry at first too.
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
12 posted 2004-07-22 08:14 PM

Copper i lost count as well grins
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
13 posted 2004-07-22 09:34 PM

I saw Spiderman 2 and have the first one

and  can't say much except I thoroughly enjoyed it... as much or more than the first
though I do wish the smaller theaters would lower their sound effects..after having had such a quiet month, I jumped at every action...

M

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
14 posted 2004-07-23 12:12 PM

Yeah I love spiderman 2, I loved how they opened up the movie for bad guys.......

Sorry I ca't resist

Hello

My name is Juju and it has been Three months twenty two days since looking at a pokimon card And it gets harder every day to resist the FF7, Man That games addicting..................

I came Up with the tag team when fighting saproth......... pretty greeky huh?

Lots of love
Juju

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

15 posted 2004-07-23 08:28 PM

WELL then, Aenimal what is your favorite part/character/scene/theme?  I'm sure you have as much to say about the story as I do if you've lost count. My friends are REALLY tired of hearing about all my "insights".
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
16 posted 2004-07-23 08:54 PM

M i miss small theatres, they were almost all bought out and replaced by multiplex's a few years ago.

Juju my cousins are into pokimon, i asked one to explain it to me and then glazed over. never been into rpg or card games.

Copper i can give you a big list of things i didn't like Not sure if you mean the whole series or Fellowship.
Favourite scene in the Fellowship would have to be the extended version's council of Elrond, specifically Boromir's speech. Sean Bean is absolutely brilliant and the best cast character, more so than Gandalf or Grima. For sheer pleasure of course, the Cave troll scene.

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

17 posted 2004-07-24 10:17 AM

Hmmm, the friendships between the characters and the way they find so much courage for the sake of each other is my favorite part of the story.

My two favorite scenes are Aragorn and Borimir's conversation as Borimir is dying and where Eowyn declares, 'I am no man!' and stabs the Nazgul in the face. Very good moment in the movie Of course the first time I saw the Return of the King, my husband and I both agreed the best part of the movie was 'the end'  We waited three years to see the end and it was finally done.

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

18 posted 2004-07-25 12:29 PM

My favorite LOTR moment is when Gandolf and Pippin are in Minas Tirith and Gandolf describes the journey from life to life after death... I cry every single time!!

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
19 posted 2004-07-25 02:19 PM

Boromir, surrounded by slain orcs, gaining redemption as he dies in Aragorn's arms. As Comic Book guy on the Simpson's would say, "Best death scene..ever"
Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

20 posted 2004-07-25 05:24 PM

definately
Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
21 posted 2004-07-26 09:35 PM

Actually It's just ff7, ff10, and early ff games. I actuall made money getting rid of my pokemon cards years ago, and only kept a couple just cause...  my most favorite game is dynesty worrier 2 and three. I stoped cards periode two years ago, iratated about the rules changing twice a year. I loved the X-men....

Juju

Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
22 posted 2004-08-12 11:23 PM

Can you believe I just finally got out to see Spider Man 2 -- Shoot howdy- what a ride.  Not only great special effects, but some serious character development, definite sexual tension, and a good dose of drama.  Great fleshing out for an action/comic flick.  And I really liked that the people on the train were given a face, and the understanding of his being a limited being trying to do the best he can with what he's been given.  As I have long loved Spider Man, this has been a great pleasure to see it brought to film so well.  

What are the odds, though, that they can make a Spider Man 3 that doesn't fall far short of the mark, as usually happens when sequals reach the #3 mark?

As far as Geeks go, being Geek is cool.  I proudly wear my badge --

Susan

Happiness isn't something that happens to you, it's created from within you.  Joy is a state of mind.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
23 posted 2004-08-12 11:38 PM

Both Spiderman's were really good. I thought the first X-men kinda sucked, but the second one was cool, what with Magneto being so bad-ass and all.

I hated the first Lord of the Rings movie, I thought Frodo was a little pansy and halfway through I started wishing every time his lief was in peril he would just die and stay dead, but oh no, he needed his equally dorky crybaby friends to come save him and they killed the only sweet character, Gandalf. So there it is, I hate hate hated that stupid, long, overblown, heavy-handed piece of crap movie. Oh, and I never read the books b/c according to my boyfriend, the movie cut the boring parts out.

Now, my dorky little obsession is Harry Potter... I think those books are just the greatest things on earth and I can't wait for the sixth one to come out... I even went so far as to rent the quidditch world cup video game (which sucks)...

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
24 posted 2004-08-14 12:57 PM

What are the odds, though, that they can make a Spider Man 3 that doesn't fall far short of the mark, as usually happens when sequals reach the #3 mark?

Not sure, I would never have imagined that SM2 would have been this good. The attention to detail and character development is exactly how these comic adaptations should be adapted. Modern comics have evolved and their writers and storylines can be incredibly moving and intense and Sam Raimi really captured what other directors haven't been able too.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Spider-Man 2

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary