navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Proofread anyone?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Proofread anyone? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!

0 posted 2004-05-20 01:46 PM

Can someone take the time to proofread this for me? I'd be forever grateful if you did.

Also, if there is any error in the substance that you find, please feel free to point it out to me.

CT115 Case Study Week 2

Designing a Spreadsheet for a Customer’s Income and Expenses

The first thing you need to do is open Microsoft Excel. Then you would right click the Sheet 1 tab at the bottom of the screen. You would then click Rename in the pop-up menu that appears. In this case I am going to rename Sheet 1, Sales.  

Working in Individual Worksheets

Click the Sales worksheet on the bottom of the screen. In cell B1 type “Account Activity for 2004.” This text will overlap cells C1 and D1 so you would need to merge and center cells B1, C1 and D1. To do this you click the Merge and Center button on the Formatting toolbar. You would also need to make the text bold; to do this you would click the bold button on the Formatting toolbar.

In cell A3 type Date. In cell B3 type Description, you would then make this column wider by selecting the column (click on the column header) then positioning the mouse pointer on the right edge of the column header and dragging it to the right until it reaches a width of 30, then in cell C3 type Debit (for the expenses) and in cell D3 type Credit (for the income). Select cells A3 – D3 and then click the bold button on the formatting toolbar, then, leaving them selected, click the center alignment button on the formatting toolbar.

You would then need to set up the currency style of the cells holding the numerical data, since in your initial grading of this case study you said C4-D4 I will use those, you would do this by selecting those cells then click the format button and choose cells from the menu. You would then click on the Number tab if necessary, then click currency from the list and choose the currency you want. In this case I am using 2 decimal points and for negative numbers I am using the red numbers in parentheses. I would then click OK to close the Format cells dialog box.

Next, in cell B25 I would type Total and click the Align Right button on the formatting toolbar.   I would then type the formula =SUM(C4:C24) in cell C25 and =SUM(D4 24) in cell D25.

You would then right click the Sales tab and select Move or Copy from the pop-up menu, then check the Create a Copy box and create a copy to sheet 2 – sheet 4. Then you would right click all the newly created copies and selecting Rename from the pop-up menu and then type in the name of each department.

You would then enter the data for each column respectively (Date, Description of transaction, and Debit/Credit).

You would do this for each individual worksheet

You can make the worksheet easier to read by selecting the rows that contain your data (click on the header for row 3 on the left side of the worksheet and drag down to the last row that contains data) and then positioning the mouse pointer to the bottom edge of the row 3 header and dragging it down to whatever size you want to make each individual row.

In the worksheet for the entire company’s data you would enter headers for the individual departments and then generate a total of all the departments’ data.

Printing an Excel Report

You would click on the View menu and click Header and Footer to open the Page Setup dialog box. If need be, click on the Header/Footer tab. If you wanted to add a graphic to the footer of the print-out pages you would click on the Custom Footer button and then click anywhere in the center section of the Footer dialog box and then click on the Insert Picture button on the toolbar. You would then navigate to the picture you wanted to add and double-click it. &[Picture] will appear in the center section of the Footer dialog box. You would then click the Format Picture button and make any necessary changes.

You would then click the Custom Header button to open the Header dialog box. You would then click anywhere in the Left Section box and then click the Date button. &[Date] will appear in the Left Sect box.

You would then click anywhere in the Right Section box and then click Page Number. &[Page] will then appear in the Right Section box. Then you would click OK to close the Header dialog box.

You would then click the Print Preview button to open the Print Preview window. Then you would click the Margins button if you added a picture to the footer of the workbook. You would then drag the second margin line from the bottom of the page up until it is located just above the graphic that you added.

You would then click the Setup button to open the Page Setup dialog box. If necessary you would click the Page tab and then select the Landscape option. You would then select the Fit To option and set this to 1 page wide by 1 page tall.

You would then click the Margins tab again and in the Center on Page section of the tab page you would select both the Horizontally and the Vertically check box. You would then click the OK button to close the Page Setup dialog box.

On the standard toolbar you would click the Print button to begin printing the workbook. (Or you could click the File menu and select Print from the drop-down menu.)

© Copyright 2004 Jeffrey D. Carter - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2004-05-20 02:13 PM

Jeff, I've placed in bold the areas that don't make sense to me and therefore, could be an error on your part.

~*~

Designing a Spreadsheet for a Customer’s Income and Expenses

The first thing you need to do is open Microsoft Excel. Then you would right click the Sheet 1 tab at the bottom of the screen. You would then click Rename in the pop-up menu that appears. In this case I am going to rename Sheet 1, Sales.  

Working in Individual Worksheets

Click the Sales worksheet on the bottom of the screen. In cell B1 type “Account Activity for 2004.” This text will overlap cells C1 and D1 so you would need to merge and center cells B1, C1 and D1. To do this you click the Merge and Center button on the Formatting toolbar. You would also need to make the text bold; to do this you would click the bold button on the Formatting toolbar.

In cell A3 type Date. In cell B3 type Description, you would then make this column wider by selecting the column (click on the column header) then positioning the mouse pointer on the right edge of the column header and dragging it to the right until it reaches a width of 30, then in cell C3 type Debit (for the expenses) and in cell D3 type Credit (for the income). Select cells A3 – D3 and then click the bold button on the formatting toolbar, then, leaving them selected, click the center alignment button on the formatting toolbar.

You would then need to set up the currency style of the cells holding the numerical data, since in your initial grading of this case study you said C4-D4 I will use those, you would do this by selecting those cells then click the format button and choose cells from the menu. You would then click on the Number tab if necessary, then click currency from the list and choose the currency you want. In this case I am using 2 decimal points and for negative numbers I am using the red numbers in parentheses. I would then click OK to close the Format cells dialog box.

Next, in cell B25 I would type Total and click the Align Right button on the formatting toolbar.   I would then type the formula =SUM(C4:C24) in cell C25 and =SUM(D4 24) in cell D25.

You would then right click the Sales tab and select Move or Copy from the pop-up menu, then check the Create a Copy box and create a copy to sheet 2 – sheet 4. Then you would right click all the newly created copies and selecting Rename from the pop-up menu and then type in the name of each department.

You would then enter the data for each column respectively (Date, Description of transaction, and Debit/Credit).

You would do this for each individual worksheet

You can make the worksheet easier to read by selecting the rows that contain your data (click on the header for row 3 on the left side of the worksheet and drag down to the last row that contains data) and then positioning the mouse pointer to the bottom edge of the row 3 header and dragging it down to whatever size you want to make each individual row.

In the worksheet for the entire company’s data you would enter headers for the individual departments and then generate a total of all the departments’ data.

Printing an Excel Report

You would click on the View menu and click Header and Footer to open the Page Setup dialog box. If need be, click on the Header/Footer tab. If you wanted to add a graphic to the footer of the print-out pages you would click on the Custom Footer button and then click anywhere in the center section of the Footer dialog box and then click on the Insert Picture button on the toolbar. You would then navigate to the picture you wanted to add and double-click it. &[Picture] will appear in the center section of the Footer dialog box. You would then click the Format Picture button and make any necessary changes.

You would then click the Custom Header button to open the Header dialog box. You would then click anywhere in the Left Section box and then click the Date button. &[Date] will appear in the Left Sect box.

You would then click anywhere in the Right Section box and then click Page Number. &[Page] will then appear in the Right Section box. Then you would click OK to close the Header dialog box.

You would then click the Print Preview button to open the Print Preview window. Then you would click the Margins button if you added a picture to the footer of the workbook. You would then drag the second margin line from the bottom of the page up until it is located just above the graphic that you added.

You would then click the Setup button to open the Page Setup dialog box. If necessary you would click the Page tab and then select the Landscape option. You would then select the Fit To option and set this to 1 page wide by 1 page tall.

You would then click the Margins tab again and in the Center on Page section of the tab page you would select both the Horizontally and the Vertically check box. You would then click the OK button to close the Page Setup dialog box.

On the standard toolbar you would click the Print button to begin printing the workbook. (Or you could click the File menu and select Print from the drop-down menu.)

Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
2 posted 2004-05-20 03:08 PM

Thanks K! I truly appreciate you taking the time to read this for me. I guess I should have explained that this is a revised version of a case study that I submitted early and I am attempting to improve the grade on it.

As far as the reference to an initial grading, I'm sure the instructor will understand this part.

There are 2 columns of numbers in this worksheet, one for credits and one for debits. I was asked to explain how to sum the columns, that is where the "=SUM(D4: D24)" came from. Of course, you'd have to remove the space in this formula to make it work correctly.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this for me, I truly appreciate it.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2004-05-20 04:35 PM

You're welcome.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Proofread anyone?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary