navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » growing up too fast?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic growing up too fast? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
loner187
since 2004-03-21
Posts 106
Upstate New York

0 posted 2004-03-28 09:29 PM

Hi all. I just have a quick something to say.

Alright, does anyone else agree that kids today are trying to grow up too fast? I mean, think about it. Little kids in elementary school are starting to date, ten year olds are wearing thongs, and fourteen year olds are already having sex! And then there are the kids doing drugs and partying...

I know what's going on, in fact I, myself, am fourteen years old. I know people that go to my school who are wearing low-cut shirts and low-rise jeans, someone last year even was afraid that she was pregnant! And now teachers are trying to re-enforce the dress code at my school, meaning, telling girls to pull down their shirts or pull up their pants... Come on, if the media wasn't projecting this kind of behavior as acceptable no one would be wearing these tight jeans and skimpy shirts. I am really starting to get annoyed with this behavior.

I was really put into perspective last week, when my neighbor, who's in second grade, told me about her "boyfriend." They went to the movies together(hopefully with parents), held hands there, and shared popcorn. I know, this should be really cute. You know, little kid stuff. I had a little "boyfriend" when I was in first grade. My neighbor probably doesn't even know what it means to have a true commitment to someone. But, I was really shocked when she told me about it.

Look at Britney Spears and some of the videos played on MTV. Look at the kiss between Madonna and Britney last year, the Janet Jackson incident this year. Watch a couple rap videos with the super-skinny girls in the cute little shorts and high shirts shaking their asses and dancing to the floor for the nation. Since when is it okay to dress like a whore and be accepted by the public. If you saw a prostitute in a video, would you think anything about it or just shrug it off like it's no big deal? What about a couple of people having sex? Or someone injecting heroine?

Just think for a moment about this all. What are we doing wrong? I'm not saying that nothing like this happened in the 80's(I may not have been born then, but I know some of the scandals) or even the early 90's. But sex at 14? I've never done drugs before,(don't ever plan to) I will not be pregnant for my highschool graduation, and I've only dated one guy before.(in a relationship that lasted about two years) So, I'm not saying that everyone's like this. Just look around you.

If anyone else has an opinion on the matter, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

-Amanda

© Copyright 2004 Amanda Barmash - All Rights Reserved
GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
1 posted 2004-03-30 08:41 PM

I completely agree. Looking at the whole picture it's easier to see why they may want to grow up so fast. Children are required to mentally mature faster now. They're being faced with situations that they shouldn't have to; deadbeat and abusive parents, death, hate... girls have to raise their little sisters and brothers while their parents go out drinking.

Growing up in those ways, children and teens think they have the 'right' to grow up in other ways, as well. Besides, their parents seldom care, and the rest of society certainly doesn't. It's easy to find things like media, presidents, schools, and pinpoint the fault on them, but the truth is that each person is placed with the responsibility for their own actions.

I myself am sixteen, never done drugs and don't plan to. I live with my father who works  12 hour nights and sleeps through the days. I've had one boyfriend, for about a year and a half... we never even kissed. It isn't a hard concept for me to grasp that I need to do my part, I serve God, and I'm used to being 'different.' I'm excited to see that you at 14 aren't doing the things others are, because that is a rare thing.

It's sick to see society, to see the way media glorifies the things they do. But it's even more sick to see the way parents are acting. The world as a whole is getting worse and worse, and I have no doubt that it will continue to, as sad as that is. All I know is that I take care of my own life, treating my body as a temply of the Lord, and I'll raise my kids to do the same...

Always, Alyssa  

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » growing up too fast?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary