navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Baseball Is Sure Big Bucks
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Baseball Is Sure Big Bucks Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2004-02-18 12:47 PM

Well, I have to tell you that I think A-Rod is the best darn thing to hit baseball since popcorn but he better be for that kind of money.  What ever happened to make sports such big business anyway?  Check out his employment contract it is unbelievable.  
Absolutely amazing!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/tom_verducci/02/17/arod.trade/index.html
And for a mere $100. you can buy a replica Rodrigues shirt!  Good grief!
http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1742837&cp=1452360

Today I'm only moving clouds, tomorrow I'll try mountains.

© Copyright 2004 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
1 posted 2004-02-18 05:46 PM

What made it big business is the player's unions and television and cable and corporate sponsorship, and all of the other things that make the game so great.
Once the game started making millions for the owners in TV rights, and such as that, the player's union decided the men that made the game great- the players- deserved to get a larger portion of the pie. Then the merchandising came into vogue, withe very little boy wanting to wear the same (shirt/jersey/shoes/hat/etc) as his hero (for me, it was the official Pete Rose/Johhny Bench/Joe Morgan jerseys). Then the players agents decide that in order for the manufacturer to be able to make any cash off of it, then the person whose face/number/name is on the item needs to make a few dollars. That jumps the price.
After having paid for the stadium time, the advertising, the personnel in the front office, the travel for the team, and the player's salaries, the owners still need to make the multi-millions in profits, so they jump the price, which causes the unions to demand a larger portion, etc...
Besides, A-Rod and Jeeter and Clemens can put butts in the seats, thereby bringing in more cash, so they are able to demand taht price tag.
AS it has been said too many times before by those much greater than I... the business of business is business (or something like that.)

But now the animal is in pain...
And now it's starting to rain...
But I'm still the same.

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
2 posted 2004-02-19 03:25 PM

Ringo: You still have that Johnny Bench jersey? *G* If you do, you're my friend for life... just remember me in your will! LOL
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
3 posted 2004-02-19 07:37 PM

Sorry, I don't *getting misty-eyed*. When I left for Boot Camp, my mother sold it along with over $7,000 worth of comic books and collectible records (Actual vinal!!!) that were worth a couple of grand, and presented me with a check for $250 give or take when I got home.

But now the animal is in pain...
And now it's starting to rain...
But I'm still the same.

WildPoet
since 2003-11-10
Posts 205
California
4 posted 2004-02-23 02:06 AM

He stands up in the empty bleachers, adjusts his cap, rolls up his sleeves and begins to sing...

Piss me off at the Ball game; Work me up with the Crowd

Throw some peanuts and CrackerJack

Hit the Ump square in the Back

For its Bite, Scratch, Kick for the Home team

If they don't win, they are to Blame

'Cause it's 1, 2, 3, punches, you're arrested

At the Ol' Ball Game

WildPoet

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Baseball Is Sure Big Bucks

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary