navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » So, I was bored and just wondering...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic So, I was bored and just wondering... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

0 posted 2003-11-28 10:31 PM

What is your earliest memory?

The first memory I have that I'm sure isn't the result of simply having seen a picture or heard a story so many times I just think I remember it, is of boredom.  I was 4 years old and was sitting in the hallway of my parents house.  I was crying and my mother asked me why.  I told her I didn't know why (because I didn't know what to call it then).  Now, I recognize the feeling as boredom and still find it maddening...   

[This message has been edited by Duncan (11-28-2003 10:37 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Duncan - All Rights Reserved
Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
1 posted 2003-11-28 11:10 PM

Actually, I've spoken to Mum about this quite recently. I had this memory of something, and I asked Mum about it. I have no idea how old I was, but it was at a party at my grandparents' place, and my uncle had a frizbee thing that looked like a UFO. It would light up and make all these noises when it was thrown. Mum says I would have been about two or three.

"I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwell"~ Matchbox 20

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
2 posted 2003-11-29 12:12 PM

I was three, I remember my brother sticking his tongue out at me...he was standing in front of sliding doors (glass no less) ohhh he made me mad because he wouldnt stop....so I ran toward him, he moved, and I went through the doors.....I have 2 scars on my hands still....

Lauren~

I had a dream last night
you came to me on silver wings of light
I flew away with you in painted sky
Was it real
Is it what you see,touch or feel

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2003-11-29 12:39 PM

I remember floating in this liquid and seeing the light at the end of a tunnel and a strange man saying....push ...push!!!
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
4 posted 2003-11-29 01:18 AM

I remember sucking on a nipple...I was hooked for life!!!
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
5 posted 2003-11-29 01:20 AM

I don't have a specific early memory. I have several, actually. I can remember things from when I was around 2 years old. I remember a lot of things and feelings from that age. Its weird.

I remember when I might have shown my first tendency toward holding most everything people I cared about gave me in a sentimental way.

My Mom dropped me off at the babysitter's house (don't remember the age though) and I had a piece of toast that my Dad had given me before he left for work. I was eating it on the way. My Mom had let me keep it since I was eating it and when she left, the babysitter took it away from me. (Looking back, I am sure it must have been soggy and gross) I remember feeling sad after she took it from me and I remember I wanted to keep it because my Dad had given it to me. I don't think I liked her much after that either. LOL!

I remember riding on the handlebars of a bicycle my Grandmother would ride us on...on a dirt road...we would go out and pick berries and plums while on those rides.

I remember a very big bank in Tennessee with aquariums all in the lobby. I was especially fascinated with the Kissing Fish. I would get handfulls of suckers from the bank tellers.

I have a lot of very early childhood memories, but don't remember exactly what age I was during a lot of them.

Thanks for the exploration!

All of my impurities are right here on my sleeve. This is Me"---Faith Hill

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2003-11-29 02:27 AM

a sense of impending doom...
WildPoet
since 2003-11-10
Posts 205
California
7 posted 2003-11-29 04:28 AM

In this life or do past lives count?

WildPoet

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
8 posted 2003-11-29 07:49 AM

Mine was when I lived in South Carolina when Dad was a Marine Drill Instructor. I remember getting a group of my friends together and wanting to be just like my daddy... and I was marching them up and down the street. Mom says I was swearing, but I don't remember that.
It was either that, or singing into a microphone for the first time. With both of those I was somewhere in the vicinity of three.

We are all equal but we’re individually different
and able to reach the impossible if we try.

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
9 posted 2003-11-29 12:47 PM

LMAO at Deer....only you ....

I had a dream last night
you came to me on silver wings of light
I flew away with you in painted sky
Was it real
Is it what you see,touch or feel

magic_612
since 2003-07-31
Posts 190
NB, Canada
10 posted 2003-11-29 02:45 PM

I actually remember the apartment my family lived in when I was two. I described it all to my mom one day and she said I was correct, and I never did see any pics of that place.
skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
11 posted 2003-11-29 05:46 PM

Mine is being at the hospital at the age of one year and eleven months old with my parents the night my sister was born. I was crying while it was going on and then my grandma and grandpa (my mom's parents) came to get me. I stayed with them while my mom was in the hospital because my dad couldn't get time off of work right away, and on the day she got out I remember laying on the bottom stair in the living room waiting for her. And yes, I actually do remember that early!

~sky

Dreams last for so long, even after you're gone...
~Jewel

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
12 posted 2003-11-29 07:21 PM

Bored? I'd have to guess I've been bored at one time or another in fifty years, but if so, I've long since forgotten those incidents.

One of my earliest and most poignant memories happened when I was about four years old. Like many children at that age, I was learning how to count beyond my own fingers and toes, through the simple but time-tested expedient of memorization. I remember being on my belly on the living room floor, writing my numbers, the tip of my tongue curled over my upper lip (a habit I didn't break until I was at least sixteen). I even remember it was Louisiana, not Michigan. Every few minutes, I would jump up and run into the kitchen, where all the adults were gathered in conversation at the table, to cajole a few more numbers out of someone. Then I would rush back to my pencil and paper to write them down.

I sure didn't know what an epiphany was at four, but I was nonetheless about to have one. As I wrote down 90, 91, 92 and 93, something clicked and I suddenly saw THE pattern and absolutely knew, without asking anyone, that the next number just had to be 94. I could never explain to anyone, then or since, exactly how that Eureka moment felt. The sense of "rightness" simply defies description. When I reached 100 and kept going, I remember the anticipation of knowing that the pattern MUST eventually lead to 1000 and beyond. I don't remember how many numbers I wrote down after I discovered the pattern, but I do recall my mother had to almost pry that pencil from my fingers to get me into bed.

I've spent most of my life, I think, chasing that same feeling, trying to discover again and again that incredible sense of rightness in our world. I guess that quest just hasn't left much time for being bored.

wranx
Member Elite
since 2002-06-07
Posts 3689
Moved from a shack to a barn
13 posted 2003-11-30 12:13 PM

I have a memory of sitting in a highchair, a can of "Donald Duck" orange juice on the tray that kept me in place...There is the feeling that I was in defiance of my mothers wishes that I drink the juice. (I found out later that they used to put cod liver oil in that stuff...It's STILL awful, even without it.).

I described this memory to my mother once, and she recognized the little Apt we lived in until I was about 2 years old.

wranx
Member Elite
since 2002-06-07
Posts 3689
Moved from a shack to a barn
14 posted 2003-11-30 12:23 PM

LOL @ (or rather WITH) Ron...

I remember that exact same moment, except I had a "learning" aid. A book off of the rack of paperbacks in the general store that my folks owned. I was thumbing through, just turning the pages...trying to recognize what few of those symbols that I knew. And noticed the numbers in the corners...and the pattern!

Yes! That Eureka! feeling. I then spent days counting to myself. (I remember reaching 1000 as "10 hundred").

Of course, I was about 17 when this happened.

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
15 posted 2003-11-30 06:57 PM

My very first memory was at the age
of two and it was standing beside my
Aunt's coffin in my living room . . .
I remember touching her face and
saying her name and wondering what
all the nonsense was about . . .
Back then, Irish Catholic and all,
people used to be waked in their homes.
Yes, creepy and I will NEVER forget that
(we slept upstairs the whole time too)    

[This message has been edited by littlewing (11-30-2003 06:58 PM).]

KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
16 posted 2003-11-30 07:37 PM

I have 2 early memories.  The first was from when I was about 6 months old.  Not a good memory so I won't go into it.

The second is when I was younger than 2 and drinking Similac...I hated it and would just throw it all over.  Bleh..couldn't blame myself.

I'll have to think of more.  I can't remember much though :-)

Do songs on the radio sing to all the fools in love?

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
17 posted 2003-11-30 08:20 PM

I was about 3 years old. We lived with my grandparents on their farm. It was chilly - either spring or fall because I remember my little sister and I wearing coats. I remember being outside and hearing a lot of yelling from the barn. My dad rushed into the house and got my mother and grandmother. My mother took my sister and me into the house and put my sister into her crib. I was told to 'stay there' and so I did. Still in my coat. We waited for a long time and then my mother came and got us. I learned later that the carpenter who was helping do some work on the barn had cut off his hand! I remember my dad bringing home a deer on the hood of his car. I remember getting stung by bees in the spring and my grandmother putting mud on it. I remember being chased by a goose (horrible beast!). And I remember my grandmothers version of potatoe chips (fried on an old cast iron stove). I remember we ate goose for Christmas (that taught HIM not to chase me!). And then my mother had a baby (where she got him I'll never know!) and we moved into a new house.
Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
18 posted 2003-11-30 11:07 PM

My earliest was at age 2, and not a great one, but I remember at 3 building a snowman in my grandmas back yard, that was the same year I talked her into frying up a bunch of frog legs, and then refused to eat them.Like Ron and Ed, I also remember numbers just suddenly making sense to me one day.

Jason

Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
19 posted 2003-12-01 10:50 AM

I have a few interesting moments.

At 18 months I was out in my neighbors backyard (they lived right behind us) and I was playing with a ball, I threw it down an embankment and went to go get it.

I saw a white ball thing under the fence, picked it up and threw it. About that same time I began getting covered in bees.... I heard my mom yelling and swacking at bees and bringing me into the downstairs of the neighbors house. Then a bunch of scary old men ran in and jabbed a huge needle into my rear... I've been allergic to bees, and scared of needles since.

At 2 I was playing with my brother, and he hid behind my mom and dads bed, well I ran down the hallway into my parents room, Josh yelled boo, I turned around ran into my room attempted to jump onto the bottom bunk and missed, My nose took a liking to the wood (broken nose) my mom still has the 3 towels that were at one time white... they are now red.

About 5 months after breaking my nose, my older brother Josh and I were in the backyard playing catch, and he wanted to show me how to swing a baseball bat.... he just forgot to give me a chance to get out of the way... the bat swung around connected with my jaw and it was mickey mouse popsicles and a kitten for me!

At about 3 (potty training) during my nap time (had to wear diaper still)I figured out how to remove my diaper... and I would finger paint the walls (with poop) and then wake my mom up and say... I'm pississo ( picaso) lol.

Love,
             xXx~*KELLIE*~xXx
Graduation : January 29th 2004

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
20 posted 2003-12-01 10:59 AM

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
21 posted 2003-12-01 12:28 PM

Not quite 4, and wandered away from the house. Wound up in an untended apple orchard in the dark- very alone and scared, yet excited by it all. Shortly afterward I began my career as a daredevil by jumping out the window of my mother's car as we pulled out of a store parking lot.
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
22 posted 2003-12-01 02:48 PM

Earliest is of snow, and being outside a red brick house. Turned out later to be my granddad's on one of the 3 times it snowed where he lived in Texas, back in 1972, right after my younger brother was born.

But the two which have stuck with me throughout the decades happened when I was 4 and 5.

When I was 4, my younger brother and I were playing in a small gravel pit, tossing large rocks over our shoulders (we were back to back) with a plastic beach shovel, passing it back and forth so we could send a rock over our shoulders. We had seen this on a cartoon, so knew it was possible. He turns to tell me something, right when I heave a large rock over. I hear a thud, a scream, running feet and I look down. There is a white rock smeared with red, and I promptly run the other way. The thought I had still haunts me: 'They will find me sooner or later. I may as well get this over with.' And so, personal responsibility was realized.

The second one, when I was 5, involved the neighbor's daughter, who just happened to be 3 days younger than myself. I had just come inside from playing, when my mother accosted me and told me she had gotten a call from the girl's mother about us, and it wasn't right to be laying on the ground. I agreed and went into my bedroom, emerging a moment later with a sleeping bag and I went back outside. My mother promptly got another phone call. Years later, there was no need for confusion about sexual preference during my teens and 20's...that was something I learned much earlier.

Alicat the Persnikitty

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
23 posted 2003-12-04 10:05 PM

well, somewhere around the ripe old age of 7 or 8 months...
there was this makeshift homemade oxygen tent around me, candles burning and someone crying in the background

and some scary eyes staring down at me from a tiny opening in this tent

then all of a sudden, a hand came through that opening with a spoonful of brandy

every hour or so, another teaspoonful down the hatch, to keep me quiet so I could die peacefully

yep, that country doctor said i wouldn't live through the night, so they decided to give me something to ease EVERYONE's pain and suffering

it was cherry brandy, as I recall

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
24 posted 2003-12-04 11:47 PM

I remember last week.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

25 posted 2003-12-04 11:49 PM

uh oh. Was I there?
Laicie
since 2003-12-03
Posts 37
Australia
26 posted 2003-12-05 01:53 AM

Hi guys,
I'm new here (obviously!) so bear with me!! My first memory is when I was three and my mum had taken me to kindy (preschool). I remember waiting 'til the teacher wasn't looking, then I jumped up from the floor and ran after her. She'd gone a fair way across two roads, up one loooong hill, and was just turning the corner. I had this feeling of abandonment, as I saw she had her back to me. Weird feeling! She picked me up, and I remember snivelling and sobbing as she started talking to someone in their front yard. My first feeling of embarrassment!!
Also, one with my dad when we went to the beach. He was holding me as I was snivelling and sobbing (again!) because I had rashes on my legs from the seawater and sand. I was such a sook!! lol

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » So, I was bored and just wondering...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary