navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Extrovert or Introvert?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Extrovert or Introvert? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2003-08-23 12:56 PM

Do you have very social/public poetic passion and works or are they mostly hidden here on the internet at passions maybe a bit shy and unwont to come out often in society outside?  
I guess what I'm trying to ask is if the poet in you is an extrovert, or an introvert   

[This message has been edited by Essorant (08-23-2003 01:01 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

1 posted 2003-08-23 01:02 AM

When I saw your title, the first thing that came to mind was this: Caring For Your Introvert, by Jonathon Rauch, but then I realised that this isn't what you're asking. I'm an introvert, but I share my work as much as I can. I don't share all my poems with all my friends. Some of them see almost everything, some of them just see the ones I think that they will relate to. I guess it more depends on the friend. Now I'm rambling. In answer to your question, yes, I like to show my work around.

Kielo

wounded and broken and hurting.... what scares me is that I'm starting to just not care, except that I wish I could cry the pain away....

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2003-08-23 06:47 AM

Kielo, thank you for the link.

Essorant, I went through the Myers-Briggs test, as did our whole office, in an effort to not "pin-point" extroverts and introverts, but rather, to give some credence to the idea that "what you see is NOT always what is there."  I'm one of those introverts that "puts on" a good face in public.  An activity, by the way, which is SO wearing by the end of the day, all I want is peace and quiet.

My poetry is my small way of finding that peace and quiet.  

I can, and try, to share my poetry with people.  Usually it is by e-mailing it to them, but I do belong to a small group where I am forced to read it aloud.  I have given a couple of readings to public groups.  It is in that effort that I feel the stretch to give, because performing in public does not come naturally to me.  In fact, anything done in public comes from a 6th grade teacher who ridiculed me for my small stutter, and I made a promise to myself to someday have the ability to stand in front of large groups and manage my "introvert side" and be able to conduct myself well without stuttering.

Ah, now I'm on a tangent, but a quiet one, in the sanctity of my own little room, where my introvert side comes into play.  I'm not pushed into a quick telling of this...I can think on my words, and get them to come out just so, so that you feel as if I were sitting right across from you, one on one.

I am an introvert.  I've learned it's something to be proud of.  Because all the really SMART folks I know...are introverts.  Good question.  Thanks for putting up with my response.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2003-08-23 08:22 AM

If enjoying peace and quiet makes me an introvert, then so be it... I'm a Gemini, though... That means I can spend the whole day extroverting so that I can hide out at night and introvert... (Did I just turn a couple of nouns into verbs?)...
IndigoEve
since 2003-01-10
Posts 279
Etched in the illusion of time
4 posted 2003-08-23 09:03 AM

It's half and half for me. Sometimes, I love to let the privileged see my work in "real life", but I mostly post it on here, plus a few other places.

For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,
And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss.--"Romeo and Juliet"

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
5 posted 2003-08-23 03:06 PM

I love to be alone, away from people, but that doesn't make me an introvert.

I am an extrovert when I'm in contact with people, but I don't want to be with people all the time.

The friends I've met in Tampa last year can vouche for that I think and they still love me anyway they said

Titia

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
6 posted 2003-08-23 03:30 PM

Extrovert, with a minor in introvertion.
Ceinwyn
Member Elite
since 2000-07-09
Posts 2175
VA
7 posted 2003-08-23 04:45 PM

all the above...

If at first you don't succeed destroy all the evidence that you tried.

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

8 posted 2003-08-23 05:17 PM

I classify myself in the 'other' catagory I only let poeple who I don't know read my work.

insanity is not a crime

eminor_angel
since 2003-05-22
Posts 323
Canada
9 posted 2003-08-23 06:03 PM

i'm definately an introvert poet.

wind: why only let people you don't know read your work?

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
10 posted 2003-08-23 10:33 PM

Introvert all the way, I keep most thing to myself.  I hate rejection..Lol
timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
11 posted 2003-08-24 12:48 PM

Spent too many years Introvert to count on both hands, and feet...

...Caused myself much pain and heartache, once I decided to "step out of my box"...life was worth the living!

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
12 posted 2003-08-24 10:49 AM

The poet in me is an extroverted Introvert, if that makes ANY sense at all...
Although I don't normally announce to the world that I write poems and such, I don't hide the fact, and often talk about Passions, and one or another that I posted there.

We are all equal but we’re individually different
and able to reach the impossible if we try.

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
13 posted 2003-08-24 01:17 PM

I am . . .

an introverted extrovert

Tequilia_Sunrise
since 2003-02-19
Posts 612
Lochalsh, Ontario, Canada
14 posted 2003-08-24 03:32 PM

/pip/Forum73/HTML/003177.html
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
15 posted 2003-08-24 10:26 PM

I am an superintrovertical romantroverting Essorantrovert with retroversive tendencies

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
16 posted 2003-08-25 09:03 AM

Most definitely introvert... poetically and otherwise. *S*
Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
17 posted 2003-08-25 01:51 PM

Introvert, both in writing and in living.I mostly only post here, and share with few others.I do talk about this site alot though, and don't hide that I write.

Jason

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
18 posted 2003-08-30 04:55 PM

You know, I think this is a very good topic for conversation. Only when we understand each others social backgrounds can we really understand a person from the heart.

The last time I took the test two years ago, I was titled an extrovert, but before I went to high school I was an introvert. I guess the reason to justify that is simply because I lacked confidence when I was bullied by boys my own age throughout elementary school, then was scared to go to middle school so my mom homeschooled me, and while I love my mom so much and was lucky to be close to her then, I was further seperated from society. I always made an effort to try and socialize with everyone in elementary school, but when boys always hurt me, and called me "girlish", that destroyed my confidence, and I felt like getting surgery on my mouth and installing a Ziplock zipper to seal my lips closed.

But did I give up? No! Me and my mom toured many private schools around the Denver area, and the one hat made me feel most comfortable on first impression was Denver Academy. The teachers seemed polite and understanding, and the students fair and united. So I felt I can give this place a try, and though the first day I wanted my mom to hold my hand as I entered the school, from there I never felt happier. The teachers became my best friends, and though it was still difficult to make many close friends there, at least the students were respectful. That next time I took the test, I scored more on the extrovert side!

I guess you can always be on both sides, as there are times we love to speak and times where we just need to contemplate to ourselves!

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

I don't need no proof when it comes to God and truth
I can see the sun set and I perceive

***Live***

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Extrovert or Introvert?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary