navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Of Modern Things and Poetry
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Of Modern Things and Poetry Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2003-08-16 01:07 AM

Is there place in poetry for this age's devices?  May we poeticize sincerely cars? shopping malls? computers?  televisions? internet? guns?
Sometimes when I am reading poetry even if the form is full curious with grace a simple reference to some very modern technological or cultural device will seem to stoop it and make it streaked with a coarseness- a blemish hard to ignore for me.  So I guess to great degree I feel there is not much place and modern life has become less poetic  yet at the same time I know I am just very oldfashioned too at heart... What do you feel about this?  Are our age's devices worthy to be sung about just as any other's?  Are they being sung about just as strongly?  May anything be poetic?  Or are there things that are just flatly not poetic that we should not try to make poetic?

[This message has been edited by Essorant (08-16-2003 01:11 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-08-16 09:16 AM

I believe, with the right attitude, a poet could make any of today's technological break-throughs or conveniences a "poetical song".  Some may be funny, or seem insincere, of course...but yes, it could be done.

Just as an aviator first sung of the ability to fly among the eagles...if it had not been for the "modern technology" of the time, would that poem have been written?

quote:
High Flight was composed by Pilot Officer John Gillespie Magee, Jr., an American serving with the Royal Canadian Air Force. He was born in Shanghai, China in 1922, the son of missionary parents, Reverend and Mrs. John Gillespie Magee; his father was an American and his mother was originally a British citizen.

He came to the U.S. in 1939 and earned a scholarship to Yale, but in September 1940 he enlisted in the RCAF and was graduated as a pilot. He was sent to England for combat duty in July 1941.

In August or September 1941, Pilot Officer Magee composed High Flight and sent a copy to his parents. Several months later, on December 11, 1941 his Spitfire collided with another plane over England and Magee, only 19 years of age, crashed to his death.

His remains are buried in the churchyard cemetery at Scopwick, Lincolnshire.

"High Flight"

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Is it possible, then, that it's in how we perceive what is around us - and how they make us feel, emotionally?  Because a plane is a plane is a plane...or is it?  

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

2 posted 2003-08-16 10:47 AM

Yes? I think those things can be poetic. depending on who writes them. A person with no skills could write about a flower and call it poetry, and that wouldn't mean a thing. I've written poems on guns and computers, however being who I am, they are twisted or it is a hidden meaning. So I don't really know. I'd need to give samples like sunshine. however I personaly think that with the right skill, anything can be poetic My short oppinion

insanity is not a crime

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
3 posted 2003-08-16 03:17 PM

Poetery about technology is still poetry...
It might not have the rhythm of something from Uncle Walt (Whitman) or Shaw, or even the realism of sandburg... however, it is still poetry, and the only thing stopping it from being written is the writers themselves. Actually, now that I think about it, I might actually have to give this technology thing a try...
I'll post any results.

We are all equal but we’re individually different
and able to reach the impossible if we try.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
4 posted 2003-08-17 05:56 PM

I know what you mean by the coarsness or intrusive feel of such items howver i think there's a place for everything. If one can use modern language in poetry and make it beautiful then one can use modern objects as well
Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
5 posted 2003-08-18 10:33 AM

My love is a
9mm
a threat in a holster
deadly in the hand
potential in a
pawn shop
yesterdays news
in an evidence room
and worthless without
fingerprints

That watcha mean?
sorry could not resist

Jason

eminor_angel
since 2003-05-22
Posts 323
Canada
6 posted 2003-08-18 09:03 PM

ANYTHING can be poetry. That's the joy of it. You can write about climbing Mount Everest, your computer getting a virus, or saving the world. It's still all about humanity, which of course is the centre of poetry. Good question though.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Of Modern Things and Poetry

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary