navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » What are some odd things that you get inspiration from?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic What are some odd things that you get inspiration from? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA

0 posted 2003-07-23 01:30 PM

....and odd things you write those thoughts and inspirations on? Have you ever been in places where you can't write them down and get frustrated until you can?

I was thinking about this after I read a poem in Open and thought it would be interesting to find out some of these thoughts.

© Copyright 2003 Ethel GG Kent - All Rights Reserved
timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
1 posted 2003-07-23 02:18 PM

Ethel...thank God I'm not alone...hehe

Let me tell you where I get inspiration from and before you even think it or say it aloud (I know it's weird)

The Grocery store...usually I am in the check-out lane and a big swoosh of inspiration, or wonderful idea hits me...and there I stand trying to hang onto it and the kids until I can get to the car and write it down.  

Most anything that I look at can inspire me, if I stare at it lone enough, or really look at the subject deeply.  The one thing that continues to inspire me and fuel my pen is my past, and my experiences.  Now, I have this wonderful man, and good life and that is inspiration on a whole new level.

Seeing life through the eyes of my children, and being in the "living" world again serves as inspiration as well.

The grocery store thing I still can't beat...that's why I carry a tape recorder in my purse these days, cause I don't wanna miss a thing (or a thought)

**As far as makeshift paper when an idea hits...lets see, I have written on my hand, my checkbook, a bill that was lying around....and once, while after taking a shower....I wrote a line on a foggy bathroom mirror...hehe

I'm hopeless I tell ya!

)))hugs(((
Tima

[This message has been edited by timothysangel1973 (07-23-2003 02:20 PM).]

Riley
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2002-07-18
Posts 1038
in the pouring rain
2 posted 2003-07-23 04:10 PM

inspiration for me comes from anything like a pool ( i have a pool in my backyard ) then to rain.........( all of these places are usualy where the inspirtation happens to strike me. ) as for the fact of writing them down, i am usually standing somewhere or in a van with my mother or something to that nature and inspiration hits and its annoying, because my paper is something in my purse, down in the depths. lol

*the bloody tide comes in on the shore, time after time*

[This message has been edited by Riley (07-23-2003 04:12 PM).]

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

3 posted 2003-07-23 04:18 PM

Inspiration...what's that?
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

4 posted 2003-07-23 05:28 PM

Water inspires me... waves..the sound of water flowing over rocks..lapping into the bank or shore.

Rain...

the stars and moon ....

and music..lots of poems have come from a song verse that caught me...

but mostly emotions..things I feel inside...
I cant really just write about something unless I tie and emotional attachment to it in some way.

Back when I used to write often  

I have been known to sit on the floor in a grocery store and write on my shopping list...
bought the mini-recorder too..after almost wrecking while driving and writing at the same time ...

Hey...inspiration happends  

"How could I stand here with you and not be moved by you."

LH

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

5 posted 2003-07-23 05:57 PM

mostly odd people that inspire me....or songs that get stuck in my head until i turn them into poems...

whenever I get an injury- that inspires me..sometimes random black smudges on my papers inspire me, or arguments or being afraid- thats my favorite

gemjop
Member Elite
since 2002-11-18
Posts 2587
Pencilveinia, USA
6 posted 2003-07-23 06:04 PM

At the moment, my broken heart.

before, loving someone competely and unconditionally.

being loved

the night sky

music, esp. the Beatles.

other peoples poetry

dreams and nightmares

once, you were the inspiration for a poem, he he, so , Ethel Mae. lol, not that you're odd.

other peoples happiness

memories

family

friends

the sea, when i get to go to a beach, i loooove it, and it always fills me full of words to write.

so, my list isnt that odd is it? infact its quite boring. But its my list of inspiration.

Instant karma's gonna get you.

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

7 posted 2003-07-23 06:34 PM

lol at Gems new signature- karma police after you? I got a ticket once

for a minute there
i lost myself

ok tell me to shut up any time now...

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
8 posted 2003-07-23 08:59 PM

Right about now, anything and everything inspires me *grin*

The other day I wrote a poem about getting a blood test done. Now if that isn't inspiration from everything, I dont' know what is

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
9 posted 2003-07-23 09:43 PM

Rhonda, you sound like me. I wrote that thing (trying to write similar to Local Rebel) about waiting in the Doctors Office. LOL

Really, I get my greatest inspiration from my feelings inside....and most of those are romantic poems. HaHa!!  
Tima, I write on everything, too....anywhere I can find space to write a line....or a thought.
Riley, I love the water at the beach, or the river. It's really relaxing to me. I like the rain, too, when it's not storming.
Denise, LOL
Janet Marie, it sounds like we get inspired by some of the same things...you can just write the thoughts and inspirations so much better than me.
Wind, you are a mess, aren't you? But a good mess!!  LOL You tickle me.
Gemma, I know about writing about the loving completely and unconditionally. It's about all you think of, isn't it?
I'll bet it won't be long before you'll be writing about romantic thoughts again.
Hey, we've got the beach thing in common, too. I love the beach at night, escpecially.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2003-07-24 09:41 AM

Words.  Reading a simple line or two clicks my mind into another world.  So a new book, no matter what it is - gets me thinking on other levels - and then I want to put the book down and begin to write with whatever thought popped into my head.  

Sometimes just a "word" will pop into my head.  I literally, mentally chew on the word...until it becomes malleable and begins to take on it's own identity.  Opposites attract, as well.  That's how "Dry Creek Flooded" came into being.  How can a dry creek flood?  Metaphors pour heavy...

Photos also lend fantastic inspiration.  If a person lets themselves fall into a photo or painting, and becomes one with it, as Robin Williams did in "What Dreams May Come", then again one is in a whole new level.

Then - dreams.  I think I dream a lot.  Who knows?  Compared to others, it may be that my dreams are quite minimal.  But to me, it seems that they are every night - and sometimes all through the night [or so it feels].  Several of my poems have come from dreams.

Finally - poets and other artists.  To see the quality and depth of artists, pianists, sculptures, anyone who deals in art.  My mind gets dizzy at what makes THEM tick.  I cannot even begin to comprehend their depths, feeling totally inadequate that I would ever reach their levels, or produce the type and style of gift that seems to come so naturally to them.

All I know is - the more that you are open to inspiration, the more by which you are inspired.

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (07-24-2003 09:46 AM).]

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
11 posted 2003-07-24 02:45 PM

I do, indeed, get inspiration from the absolute strangest places. One example would be the first poem accepted for Reflections that I wrote was written because I was on a country road after dark.
There was one time that I read a story that had the scene of a man cutting a wasp in half and only after it tried to take off did it realize what had been done... Another write (although not worth sharing).
As far as writing them down, I usually spend that time working on them until I can get to a place where I can write them in the notebook that is ALWAYS either in my hands, or in my car.

We see the light of those
Who find the world has passed them by
Too late to save a dream from growing cold...

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
12 posted 2003-07-24 02:52 PM

you all, my family, friends...etc...but unfortunately I have been having a hard time with inspiration.  or wait!  I mean talent! got to have that first. lol
Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
13 posted 2003-07-24 04:47 PM

I get inspiration from either everything... music, reading, observations, feelings, experiences etc...

odd things... Dead Pigeons, bus tickets, a milk float

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

14 posted 2003-07-24 07:08 PM

back with more..broken mirrors, fog, bus rides, cement with animal tracks through it, crows sittting in the trees, dieing flowers, junkyards, shipwrecks, big cities, strangers, fires, creaking floorboards, basemets, smoke, ice, electricity, the unknown, saddness..a lot of stuff.
vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
15 posted 2003-07-25 03:49 AM

Well, Ethel...let's see...
When my muse is in her right mind, I can find inspiration
just about anywhere.  In fact...you might even recall
that I once found inspiration in a paperclip.

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
16 posted 2003-07-25 03:05 PM

When I drive home in my car from work, the most beautiful lines of poetry are roaming in my head, sometimes whole poems, but then I have to hit the brakes or something and they're gone, that makes me mad, but it passes the time

I get my inspiration mainly from my photo's and common 'round the house things and when something happens, bad or good and my pets and you guys.

Titia

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
17 posted 2003-07-26 08:48 AM

Everything inspires me:

a candle
the trees
breeze
a woman walking
a garden
other writing
reading
people
all of you
anger, love, rage, pain
my son
nature
God ( sometimes not in the ways I wish)
the past
the future
the present

and always always music

[This message has been edited by littlewing (07-26-2003 08:49 AM).]

garysgirl
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
18 posted 2003-07-27 12:01 PM

I'm loving this, everybody.

And, Vicky...I do remember the "Paperclip" poem.
I loved that poem.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
19 posted 2003-07-27 12:04 PM

I like a phrase....take an ordinary or strange phrase and make a meaningful poem out of it..
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » What are some odd things that you get inspiration from?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary