navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I know it's war and all but I have a question..
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic I know it's war and all but I have a question.. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2003-07-23 12:54 PM

Why is everyone so happy that Saddam Hussein's sons were killed? This jubilation makes me sick!! I know they were horrible men but good grief! Show some compassion for their mother...she loved them no matter what and we should respect that.

© Copyright 2003 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2003-07-23 12:59 PM

No, I am not jubilant. But neither have I shed any tears for them, as I've seen some of the film footage of what that one family has done to other humans.
But I will never celebrate violent death.

Thank you for this post, Sharon.

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
2 posted 2003-07-23 02:09 AM

Being a horrible person doesn't make the pain threshold any lower or higher for a mother.  Mother's are the few people that can look at her offspring no matter how terrible they are...and still love them as if they hung the moon.

I hate war, and all that comes with it.  Personally, I think that the killing in Iraq was glorified entirely to much!

Mick Hawkes
since 2000-10-26
Posts 90
Tees-side , England
3 posted 2003-07-23 02:52 AM

its not a case of "joy" but think of the 1,000's ( yes thats 1,000,s)of mothers who no longer have loved ones thanks to those two!....

Never take life too seriously - None of us gets out alive!

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
4 posted 2003-07-23 02:56 AM

I agree with you Mick, but I don't think it is as cut and dry as us not caring about the mothers here that lost children.  All mother's weep when they lose a child, no matter what race, or creed, or religion.  A mother's love comes from a special place and whether the deaths be a price for their sins on other's does not lesson the pain felt by the wombs that carried them.

I have read of the horrible things that these men (and there father) have done, and I think that they were truly darker than anyone can imagine.  But, there mother still crys tears, much the same way that the mother's of our fallen soldiers do.

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
5 posted 2003-07-23 11:15 AM

I don't know Saddam Hussein, I have never met him, nor have I met any of his sons, or family members.  I haven't met any of the children who died at the hands of the US and I haven't met any of the people who died in the September 11 incident.  All I know is that they were human beings, with feelings, emotions, motives and goals.

"Evil" is such a naive word.  Murder is murder.

skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
6 posted 2003-07-23 12:11 PM

Just because someone has done bad things doesn't mean those of us who haven't done things as bad as what they did should celebrate. I remember how it felt when people in--some Middle Eastern nation, I forgot which one--celebrated when the Twin Towers and Pentagon were attacked. I won't cry over the loss of the sons but I'm not going to rejoice either.

~Elizabeth

Dreams last for so long, even after you're gone...
~Jewel

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
7 posted 2003-07-23 04:21 PM

After all those horrific things that they have done... they don't deserve to be called human.
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
8 posted 2003-07-23 09:03 PM

Evil is evil, but I'm not rejoicing over their deaths. At the same time, I must admit that I got a certain satisfaction of knowing that no more young women would be brutally tortured (and other such stuff) at the hands of either one of then.
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

9 posted 2003-07-23 09:34 PM

victory .... victims

ever notice how similar the two words are?

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

10 posted 2003-07-24 09:52 AM

I don't rejoice over the death of anyone and don't understand the mindset of those who do.
Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
11 posted 2003-07-24 10:38 AM

I think you need to place your self in the situations they caused, including rape of children, women and how many they killed, and the complete power they might have had....personally I hate war, but I can not feel sorry for these two, nor any one in their immediate family....they were the definition of evil....not human...MHO

Lauren~

The way you move me
I walk with your shadow
With your silhouette
Leave the light on
It always comes
Back to you

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
12 posted 2003-07-24 10:56 AM

The military attempted a peaceful raid.  They were fired upon.  

That there is rejoicing by their own people is that people's right.

If I had been under tyranny such as theirs, had sons slaughtered as many mothers' sons had been slaughted by their own "government" without recourse, I may have cheered, too.

I am not cheering now.  However, I will not cry over them, either.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
13 posted 2003-07-24 12:40 PM

For the last 90 minutes all they've been showing on TV are the pictures of the dead Hussein sons. Why? It's disgusting! Talk about the Geneva Convention! Good grief.
Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

14 posted 2003-07-24 01:14 PM

hmmm. people die every day... do we care about them?

what about people who die of food poisoning or car accidents or people who jump off of bridges. Do we care about them?

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
15 posted 2003-07-24 01:28 PM

quote:
hmmm. people die every day... do we care about them?

Very well said, Elizabeth... we're only capable of caring about those things which influence our own lives, or enter our own lives somehow.  It's the human inability to be entirely selfless.  If we cried over every person who died we'd never stop crying.

That doesn't make murder a viable option though, in my opinion.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
16 posted 2003-07-24 01:37 PM

I totally disagree! We CAN and should care about others even if they don't enter our daily life. If we don't care, we've lost our own humanity! I care about the mother of these men...I am sorry if you don't but NO mother should see her dead son's faces plastered on TV all over the world. Good GOD have some respect for the dead. They were bad people but God in Heaven will judge them. At this point, they need to have their bodies respected. Our government screamed when the Iraqis showed photos of OUR servicemen who had been killed. What is the difference? WE are no better than they are in this instance.

Stop showing them. For the love of God, let them rest in peace.

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

17 posted 2003-07-24 02:01 PM

I beleive you have misunderstood what I said. people who have done less wrong are going without mourning. LP said "
That doesn't make murder a viable option though, in my opinion." And what you are saying has nothing to do with my statement. They shouldn't show anyone on the news who has died.

to me, these two men are just that, any other person who dies. I don't know them, i don't know what made them do horrible things, so I will not say anything.

can me insensative if you want, but people less deserving have died worse deaths. Yes, I feel sorry for the mother who has to see her dead son's pictures all over TV, but then again, I feel sorry for the mother who's child dies and nobody cares at all.

[This message has been edited by Wind (07-24-2003 02:59 PM).]

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
18 posted 2003-07-24 04:17 PM

let them rest in peace""  and I dont think they had any kind of love for god or anyone...

Why? they showed NO peace to any one....they destroyed lives.....if you can call anything they did human, Id listen to reason....I dont think their mother was proud of them either....she gave birth to them, yes they decided to live the life they did....I dont think any one forced them.....MHO

Lauren~

The way you move me
I walk with your shadow
With your silhouette
Leave the light on
It always comes
Back to you

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
19 posted 2003-07-24 08:35 PM

When I first saw then newsbroadcast about this, they had interviews with some of the people of Iraq and they stated rather vehemetly that they would not believe they were dead until they saw the bodies on TV. They had some Iraq-Canadians interviewed as well, and they said the same. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
20 posted 2003-07-25 03:28 PM

That's what first came to my mind Poet deVind, when I heard. They may have been terribly violent people, but they still remain sons, can't change that fact.

I'd rather had they were taken prison, even for life until they died, cause that's different.

Titia

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

21 posted 2003-07-27 10:48 PM

It is sad that they showed their bodies the way they did... of course, the Arab TV stations showed the corpses of US and British soldiers who were killed, (how about THEM resting in peace, Sharon?) but anyway...

I don't rejoice over anyone's death. However, I am happy that these two will never hurt anyone again. It's clear that they wouldn't be taken alive.. they asked them to surrender several times before firing. What could they have done, just let them go on their merry way to rape and kill another day?

They released these pictures to show people that they are, in fact, dead. If not, a legend may have come out of this (Oh, the Americans lied and they're out there somewhere) that could have cast a deeper shadow over these people... There are good arguments for this on either side. It is a difficult choice to make, and personally, I'm glad I wasn't the one who had to make it...

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

[This message has been edited by LoveBug (07-27-2003 10:51 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » I know it's war and all but I have a question..

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary