navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » In a time of war...
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic In a time of war... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US

0 posted 2003-03-20 03:12 PM

9 pm Prayer

(Forwarded to me)
Everything I know or can sense as a former military officer tells me we are
going to war very soon. While we as individuals can't change the world singlehandedly,
there is one thing we can do. And I think this is a great idea.

In W.W.II, there was an advisor to Churchill who organized a group of people
who dropped what they were doing every day at a prescribed hour for one
minute to collectively pray for the safety of England, its people and for
peace.

We, as people who strive for peace and security, need to do the same.

If you would like to participate, every evening at 9:00pm Eastern Time,
stop whatever you are doing and spend one minute praying for the safety
of people affected by this war,its men and women in the military, and
for
peace in the world.

If you know anyone else who would like to participate, please pass this
along.

KristieSue

[This message has been edited by KristieSue (03-20-2003 05:32 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 KristieSue - All Rights Reserved
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

1 posted 2003-03-20 04:42 PM

What about the safety of the rest of the world?

I don't mean to sound...angry, but well I am a bit - the other countries that are involved need to be safe too.

Like Iraq.
Like Kuwait.

You know - the countries that are going to be bombed? Destroyed etc...

All I hear is 'the safety of the United States', everywhere I go. News. Here. And you know there are military from many other countries aiding the US in this operation - don't they deserve prayer as well? Nevermind the acknowledgement about the prayer chain in England - remember KristieSue, this is actually a website that has many international members, even if the bulk of our members are from North America.

This war affects all of us in some fashion, to varying degrees.

Ultimately, it's just not enough to say the rest of the world requires only peace...

Sigh.

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (03-20-2003 04:45 PM).]

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
2 posted 2003-03-20 05:12 PM

quote:
remember KristieSue, this is actually a website that has many international members, even if the bulk of our members are from North America.

You should never make a post unless you can satisfy all of the memebers

As for the prayer circle, I think it's a good idea, I'll pray for the safety of most of the people currently effected by the war.

KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
3 posted 2003-03-20 05:29 PM

I hope you can sincerely forgive me.  I TRULY meant nothing by not including not only the US, but all humankind.  I was not being clear-headed when I posted that.  I will change that IMMEDIATELY to accomodate.

I have close personal friends who are living in Turkey, Australia, England, and Egypt....  not just North America.  We ALL strive for peace and safety....

I'm sorry :-/

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

4 posted 2003-03-20 07:27 PM

We should pray for peace and for the well-being of all people. I'm sure that's what you meant, Kristie. Why is everyone always so angry? Of course I'll add that time to my normal prayers...

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
5 posted 2003-03-20 07:33 PM

I think it was a good and thoughtful idea...and reading what you posted at this time, seems to include prayer for all.

Sometimes people get worked up and think sides are being taken by all. Nothing is all black and white, whether in peacetime or war.

thank you for the idea passed on.
M

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

6 posted 2003-03-20 08:21 PM

Hey Andrew, thanks for the sarcasm man..a little dose of sarcasm goes a long way doesn't it? Cheers!

Erica - I'm not everyone, and I'm not angry all the time

Lastly, KristieSue - I know you didn't mean anything by it...and I honestly appreciate that change you made. Thanks for hearing me on this...

K

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2003-03-20 08:51 PM

quote:
All I hear is 'the safety of the United States', everywhere I go.

You're either not looking hard enough, Kamla, or going to the wrong places. There are numerous posts throughout the forums which avoid nationalism in favor of a global, humanistic perspective. Including a few of mine. And yours.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

8 posted 2003-03-20 11:13 PM

If one chooses to be literal, then yes I agree. Occasionally, I choose not to be literal...

How about, for literalism's sake, I say - there have been numerous occasions in the media and at passions, where I feel the international community has been forsaken in favour of the 'great America.'

That is more accurate and - despite the presence of globally embracing sentiments - it irks me.

A lot.

K

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
9 posted 2003-03-20 11:50 PM

Understood, Kamla. And very understandable.

But, uh, are you literally irked?

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

10 posted 2003-03-21 06:44 PM

I'm not irked now heh..

In fact, I'm in a very unirked mood - literally or otherwise

K

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
11 posted 2003-03-21 11:19 PM

quote:
You should never make a post unless you can satisfy all of the memebers

Thats NOT possible, and almost falls under freedom of speech.... what post can?

Lauren~

I close my eyes and there in the shadows I see your light
You come to me out of my dreams
Across the night

[This message has been edited by Greeneyes (03-22-2003 11:26 AM).]

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
12 posted 2003-03-22 11:21 AM

Agreed.
Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

13 posted 2003-03-22 08:39 PM

I know what she means. About the other countries. I heard on the radio today, and I quote "There was an acident were two helicopters colided. seven people died, including Someone from the U.S....."

ok, what about the rest of the people who died. Little things like that just tick me off. So I understand what Severn was saying. But I also believe that the U.S. is in a little more danger than the other countries (exept maybee the ones we're bombing) But that is still no excuse for our lack of respect towards other countries.

I look and I listen, does not everyone?

-Diane lee Wilson

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

14 posted 2003-03-22 09:37 PM

Wind, I'm assuming you were listening to an American news broadcast. Of course people will be slightly more interested in the well-being of their countrymen. It doesn't mean that other lives are disregarded, it's just that those are our friends, brothers, sisters, children, esc.. over there. I'm sure they do the same in other nations, mentioning the number of British, Canadian, French, Italian, esc.. citizens affected by an event. It doesn't mean anything disrespectful.

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

15 posted 2003-03-23 01:48 AM

For the most part I agree with you Erica. However, Wind's example put me in mind of the Bali bombing..and how that was covered in the news over here..

I recall the initial broadcasts that outlined the statistics were something along these lines: 'x number of Australians died, along with x number of British and x number of Americans. X number of New Zealanders also died.'

So, in that case, every other country came first (note though - it was the larger countries). NZ only lost a handful of people (too many) in that terrorist attack, so perhaps that's why the news listed the statistic last...

Interesting at any rate, from a clinical point of view..

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (03-23-2003 01:50 AM).]

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
16 posted 2003-03-23 07:44 PM

Kristie Sue, I took your post in the right way and I think it was a very sincere thing to do...thank you for posting it.
KristieSue
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
17 posted 2003-03-23 10:09 PM

Thank you 'deer :-) *gives you a peck on the cheek*

I find it odd that people are upset with one-sided newscasts.  if i  sat here and only heard the iraqi, french, or german side of view on this, I wouldn't be happy.  I WANT to hear what is going on and what OUR viewpoint is...

and, people should ASSUME, that when it is said that safety is being prayed for, that MOST people mean for EVERYONE....NOT just an American...

*sigh*

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
18 posted 2003-03-23 11:38 PM

Kristie, you did fine. Praying for your countrymen's safety does not mean you are shutting out the rest of the world, nor should it. I doubt that Churchhill was admonished for petitioning prayers for the English. We do have a large international presence here and any post by any nationality referring to their countrymen would be warmly and respectfully accepted. It's only natural. There is no reason for anyone to take offense at this. You done good...
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

19 posted 2003-03-24 02:05 AM

Well...er...not to rock the boat anymore or anything...you did actually say 'the safety of the United States' specifically - so I didn't see that there was much to assume about it you know?

Hugs

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (03-24-2003 02:06 AM).]

KristieSue
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
20 posted 2003-03-24 04:17 AM

Severn...

while my prayers for safety are with ALL, I would appreciate prayers from myself, fellow Americans, and any other person on God's green earth that would...that the US is not going to explode.... :-)

also, if you notice, this was forwarded to me.  It was written by a former military officer.  I posted it for the meaning of the e-mail as a whole...I already edited his words to fit the desires of some people here....please, if the rest could take it the way I meant it (AND THANK YOU THOSE WHO DO!)and let his words have the affect he meant.

thanks

[This message has been edited by KristieSue (03-24-2003 04:24 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » In a time of war...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary