navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » too close for comfort
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic too close for comfort Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2003-02-25 11:28 PM

The recent deadly nightclub disasters have stunned me, I admit. After working in clubs, I KNOW--they are quite often (actually USUALLY) in breach of fire laws because of (to both the bands and the management) a matter of economics. Doors are locked to ensure that fewer people can sneak IN--the bands are often paid according to ticket sales, (therefore a tendency to squeeze 'em in)  and neither the bands nor the management want to hire enough security to work all the doors, for what can be unmanageable crowds. Seldom is a show outlined in detail in contracts, and I have seen fire effects performed with nothing more than aerosol cans and lighters. (When I expressed my concern about that one? oh..no problem, just get the road crew drunk, they'll have fun doing that.)

I love live rock shows too. But I am more careful than my demeanor suggests. I know--I know  lines of cans that suggest pyrotechnics--I ALWAYS look up to see what surprises might be waiting in the air above me. And...yes, if it is too crowded, I leave. (Okay, okay, lessee...Robin Trower, Tipitina's Nineteen Eighty mumble? I only went as far as the sidewalk, but I sweet-talked a roadie into opening the louvered shutters along side of the stage, and I could see, hear, and BREATHE.)

Be careful my friends. Things can and do go wrong. And never worry about "missing out" by leaving a dangerous situation. I cried looking at that ceiling that erupted in that deadly inferno in Rhode Island. I wouldn't have raised a lighter for an encore in there...it was just all so stupid and unnecessary. sigh.

© Copyright 2003 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

1 posted 2003-02-26 01:25 AM

want to give me some details Other K?

K

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2003-02-26 02:30 AM

OH..I just assume so many things my other K...

here are some links:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/02/25/nightclub.fire/
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/02/23/deadly.nightclub.fire/

and there are more out there--but I guess this kind of hit me hard--because I saw the footage and KNEW I could easily have been there. In fact, too many times, in retrospect, I almost was...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2003-02-26 02:36 AM

OH...and there was an incident in Chicago as well that also gave me deja vu...

The last show I went to that offered festival seating throughout was Muddy Waters and Eric Clapton. There was no line. It was a nightmare...the doors, then opened OUTWARD, smashing people behind the glass...my feet actually left the floor from the crush of the crowd and the only thing I knew of my date was his firm hand on my wrist...pulling me out of that mess. Gratefully I believe festival seating at concerts is outlawed, since the travesty of Pearl Jam, and The Who, and a few more I can't seem to think of...

(poor memory is an occupational hazard of the professional guest--smile?)

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

4 posted 2003-02-26 04:52 AM

nasty...

my enlightening comment for the day (night)

K

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2003-02-26 04:55 AM

yep...almost time to creep off to the crypt.

hugs K...missed ya much.

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
6 posted 2003-02-26 04:56 AM

*feels a sense of enlightenment overtake her*

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2003-02-26 05:12 AM

Hugs miss vicky...

It may seem dumb, in light of world events, but...I worry.

I wonder sometimes, even if there is NO war--if my kids can survive their culture. Their inheritance? hmmm...

sigh...

I AM off to the crypt now. Somebody push that slab shut behind me, will ya?

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
8 posted 2003-03-11 03:42 AM

Speaking with the voice of a kid, *I* worry too. A hell of a lot. Augh. My best friend is intentionally clueless, and will cry, scream and protest if anyone turns on the news when she's in the room, because she just doesn't want to know.

I've decided that surviving every-day life hasta be enough, and I think I've always been a little bit too careful. Never been to a really big-name concert in my life, and those concerts I have gone to were always assigned seating, and I was usually as far back as my sight could allow.

I mean, even when I was too young to have heard of all the horror stories of people stampeding, I was still claustrophobic enough to make up my *own* horror stories, and give me an excuse to be too careful.

And to think, most people see me as a wild-child... Um, I'll try not to burst their bubble.

*sigh*

There's so many things to worry about right now, it's hard to concentrate on living. And I hafta tackle university courses like this. Somebody save me!

So I've been going ditzy lately, rather on purpose, to maybe lessen the blow of things to come.

I'm glad I'm in Canada now, though I know that won't make a difference forever.

remember the sound
that could wake the dead
but nobody woke up at all

rs

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2003-03-11 04:47 PM

This was a very REAL concern here in New Orleans, especially during the carnival season. I'm proud to say that the city stepped up on inspections and yes, as I knew there would be, there were SEVERAL clubs shut down in violation of the local fire codes. And? Yep, for once, I'm proud of the local government. (and that is a rare thing for me)
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » too close for comfort

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary